Relentless Ambition

sunday 18 march

deep tissue massage. massage therapist said I lacked flexibility in my hips and other areas. He said he’s pretty sure once I loosen up my hips the hamstring pain will go away.

tue. 20 march

foot is getting alot better now, but the hamstring is healing slowly.

interesting to note: Today I tested my vertical jump (3 steps run up) and it increased by 3-4 inches, last time I tested was 2 weeks ago and i’ve been off training since then. (i did cycling during these 2 weeks though)

With the training load dropping off due to your injury, it’s not surprising that your vertical shot up.

It’s great to hear that your foot is getting better- I had a foot injury and it was very slow to heal!

Monday 26 March.

Hamstring getting better and better, foot aswell (though it feels like my ankle got really weak) I was able to do some strides today without problems, but I won’t be sprinting for a few more days though.
In the mean time, magnesium & calcium supplement, core and abs strengthening, flexibility etc…
I’m going to see a physiotherapist tomorrow, let’s see what he has to say.

Tuesday 27 March.

Appointment with physiotherapist: He said my hamstrings are very tight and I need to incorporate some dynamic hamstring stretches and eccentric movements before each training session. He checked my foot, told me my feet are very sensible as my bones are '“close to the skin”. He told me I had to buy a Forefoot cap - a textile cover for sensible feet - and so I did.

I should be able to train now, tomorrow first training in a long time, just some strides etc, no sprints.

Thursday 29 March.

Just got back from track, was my first training in a long time. Long warm up, hamstrings especially.

4x30 strides, 70% 80% 90% and last one 100%

30m - 3.84
60m - 6.84
100m - 10.91

I know manual times mean nothing but I’m pleased with them since I haven’t trained for a month.
Also the last 30m of my 100 i felt a discomfort in my butt which caused me to slow down considerably, yet managed to run a PB manual time (10.95 previous)
I’m so happy I can finally train again, and I’ll take it slow from now on.

31 March - 7 April

Training camp in France with all the sub-elites. It went all relatively good, no pain in hamstring, my foot is not fully recovered though.

Sunday 1 April.

AM:

warm up
block starts
3x20m with blocks
3x30m with blocks

PM:

2x (60 - 80 - 60 - 80) FFF: 20m Fast - 20m Faster - 20m Fastest at 95% intensity

did only 1 set because my butt was hurting.

Monday 2 April.

AM:

was supposed to be a weight training session, but the kinesist said it was preferable not to. So instead I did planks and reverse hypers, and a few more core exercises.

PM:

rest

Tuesday 3 April.

AM:
Standing long jump test - 3m05 (10 ft) PB , previous was 2m93 in January.
3 bounds test (2 bounds then jump into sand pit) - 8m25 (27 ft)
5 bounds test - didn’t do it cause of foot.

4x60m (20 fast - 20 faster - 20 fastest)

PM:
4x200m 85% - 25.11 / 25.05 / 25.11 / 26.49

Wednesday 4 April.

AM:
aerobic workout

All at 65% intensity

3x500m
3x400m
3x300m
1x200m

PM:
rest

Thursday 5 April.

AM:
8x block starts

PM:
4x60 ( normal - FFF - normal - FFF )
3x80 - hamstring pain so I stopped

Friday 6 April.

AM:
‘Resistance’ workout.

200m - 300 - 200 - 200
24.5 - 38.11 - 23.86 - dns

This stuff makes me cringe.
3 speed workouts, 2 intensive tempo workouts, 1 ext. tempo workout of 3800m in the last 4 days or
5 speed workouts, 2 intensive tempo workouts, 1 weights session, 1 ext. tempo workout of 3800m in the last 6 days
And you’re barely a year in the sport.

No wonder your body is protesting.
I hope you can find a more competent coach or this journal could end very abruptly.

Hi Neseinc,

I’m curious- what was the rationale for all the volume this past week?

You mentioned this was a training camp- do you usually do this much speed work in a week, or was the volume / number of sessions this week unusually high? Do you sometimes do two-a-days normallly, or was this only because it was a training camp?

If this is normal training for you, yikes. Recovery is just as important as the workouts! If you aren’t recovered, you can’t improve.

I usually don’t do this much speed work, I never train twice a day, it’s because of the training camp

Usually we train 3x a week with 2 weights sessions

It’s funny- I remember Charlie mentioning that during training camps, instead of going nuts on speed work, they would take advantage of the grass and good weather and do a lot of tempo / recovery work. Your training camp sounds like a recipe for injury. Trying to cram things in because it’s a training camp can cause more problems than it solves.

Two-a-days can be a good idea, but it sounds like they went a little crazy with the speed work. How are you feeling now?

I’m feeling ok today; but Saturday I was really drained (slept 6 out of 12 hours on the ride home and had a long night sleep afterwards), sunday a bit of fatigue aswell, but today it’s all fine.

Forgot to mention that half the sprinting team had to go see the physiotherapist to get their quads and/or hamstrings massaged, myself included.

I’ve seen several long jumpers with a tape on their legs aswell, so I assume the training camp was a recipe for injury like you say

My coach says training camp is more mental than physical preparations. You forget about your boring everyday life, just enjoy nice weather and sleep a lot :slight_smile:

Wednesday 11 March.

Bus strike so I couldn’t go to my track club, coach didn’t give the team a program so I went to do my own thing. ( looked at CTFS for a reference )

warm up , 2x50m strides

2x30m relaxed

4x30m - 3.87 / 3.88 / 3.90 / 3.90

4x60m - 6.97 / didn’t use stopwatch to focus on arm mechanics (shoulders went too far back on the first 60) / 6.84 / 6.88

very low depth jumps: 3x5 (someone tell me if it’s better to remove them from my training, please)

I felt good on the 30’s but not on the 60’s. My hips were low and I didn’t feel like sprinting

Hey there,

As of about a week ago, you said your foot was not fully recovered. Can you post a picture of where the pain is in your foot? Did you get a proper diagnosis from the physio other than you have “sensitive” feet, whatever that means?

How low are very low depth jumps? From what I recall, you have never done rudiment jumps / hops in your warmups or workouts in the past, so just moving into depth jumps with minimal preparatory work is not worth the risk in my opinion, especially with a foot issue! Your priority is to heal the foot- I think you need to forget the depth jumps entirely. If you get hurt, you can’t train. It’s pretty hard to get faster sitting on the bench!

I didn’t get a diagnosis other than that of the physio, since then I’m back to training and I’m not injured anymore. However, my ankle/foot feels weak and I feel pain after series of bounding. I might want to add some strength exercises for them.

Here’s a picture: http://i.imgur.com/HbHCn.png

Depth jumps are very low, like 20cm (as opposed to 60-70cm 2 months ago). The reason I did them is because of my foot, when I do plyo such as hurdle jumps or 3-5 bounds into sandpit my foot hurts a little after.