Reggie Bush's Off-Season Training

I suspect it might have. Guys have it in their heads(or someone is in their ears about it, constantly) that they need to advance their program by totally revamping it and in some cases this might be warranted.

It SEEMS as though RB would do well to go back to the things he was doing at SC with some minor adjustments here and there. Sounds like he got a little too far from those things that helped to put him on a high stage in the first place along with his talent and work ethic. I think many of us have come to realizations, at some point in our athletic/coaching careers that we have strayed too far from the basics.

he was on pace for about 800 yards if he hadn’t torn part of his LCL and missed the last 4 games, and part of that was splitting time with deuce mccalister before, deuce tore his acl.

he also was on pace for almost 100 catches if he’d played the full season. so it’s not like he had a totally craptacular season.

he seemed to be a better inside runner than last year at least in the 3-4 saints games i watched. his problems were his lowered average per catch in the passing game and lots of fumbles. I don’t know whether any of his “special training” was the root cause, but it seems to be at least a prime culpert.

RB isn’t ever gonna be a 25-30 carries guy, but he has great talent, and super speed, 10.4 at 17, with track being on the back burner to football, his burst and open field skills, provided they don’t get messed up by poor off season work will carry him to a 1000 yard/100 catch season in the future.

esp with deuce in doubt he’ll need to step up.

His main playing attribute I think is creating mismatches, and I never really did see that happen this season. That might have been a coaching problem, but Reggie created mismatches all year last year.

Goes with the old saying: “Don’t fix what aint broke!!”

Im not sure if CF would agree with everything usc SC does:

mon/thur: explosive lifts/single leg lower body work. Speed and agility workout outdoors

tue/fri: strength lifts (squats/presses) plyos/medball work outdoors.

they start with 10-12 reps and work there way down in 8 weeks. there strength training is based around gayle hatch system.

most would say they are doing too much cns work.

What Bush is doing now, although I’ll be able to confirm if he’s doing anything else because I train one of the Saints practice squad guys, is a perfect testament to what an exceptional talent can do and still perform heads and tails above the less gifted despite how ‘great’ their training may be.

This should clue everyone in as to how misdirected and incomplete a conditioning program can be at either the collegiate or professional level- meanwhile the team may experience great success.

Side note- hat’s off to my friends Tom Myslinski and Alan Degenarro for assisting the Cleveland Browns in having the least amount of injuries in 07 out of EVERY NFL TEAM! and congratualtions to Cleveland for winning the most amount of home games in a row in the team’s history.

Regarding what is done at USC or any other powerhouse- with the recruits that they bring in every year I’ll bet the farm that I can go grab any schmo personal trainer at any franchise gym, replace the head conditioning guy at USC with the personal trainer, and USC will still compete with the best of them.

The question of the day is this: what happens when we see more and more truly qualified guys get the conditioning jobs at the collegiate and professional level.

My definition of truly qualified being someone who has or does practice what they preach in their own training, leads like a general, and whose plan is rooted in individualization, physiological awareness, accute knowledge of biodynamic/bioenergetic profile of the game, a mindfulness of transference/dynamic correspondence, and whos only texts authored by westerners are Charlie’s (and mine- had to say it).

*Supertraining was essentially written by Verkhoshansky so that doesn’t count for western texts.

There are power house schools that have good strength programs, i really dont see a problem how UCS train there fb athletes. Just curious where do you rank Pitt SC program among others in the US?

The USC S&C coach is not just some schmuck…

Your team didn’t exactly have an injury free season this year. Do you have the stats on injuries to your starters versus USC’s?

What about Al Vermeil? He’s a Westerner and I think he’s done an “alright” job in the S&C field.

Your right davan, Chris learn from two great coaches, strength training came from gayle hatch and speed training came from vince anderson when he was at univ of tenn.

Take it easy men.

I didn’t say anything negative about the job that is done at USC.

This is what I wrote:

The question of the day is this: what happens when we see more and more truly qualified guys get the conditioning jobs at the collegiate and professional level.

Tell me men, out of the ACC, Big 10, Pac 10, Big East, SEC, Big 12, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West, Sun Belt, WAC, and 34 NFL teams how many conditioning guys do you think make it through the filter of those who you collectively feel are the most qualified to judge?

Davan, I don’t have our injury report in front of me but it’s no mystery that we sustained our share. I have no idea what USC’s injury report was/is.

Davan, I haven’t read any of Vermeil’s work so I can’t comment on it.

I’ve got to say that I agree with you.

I have to believe he’d lose the farm on that bet. There are a lot of bad personal trainers out there(and clearly some bad strength coaches as well) but the typical personal trainer does not know the first thing about training athletes, big difference from “any schmo personal trainer” and a strength coach-even a bad one like Gittleson.

im sure you wouldnt like it, esp with the ol’s i remember the discussion you had with my bro.

I didn’t say there weren’t.

Regarding how I rank the program that Buddy and I have assembled, I am very proud of what we’ve done and what we do and I think our physical preparation program deserves to compete against any of the NCAAs best .

Pioneer, you are forgetting that there is no qualification model for the strength coach, or any other coach for that matter.

You said you could pull any personal trainer and USC would still compete just because of their recruits. If that’s true with USC, then what would happen to Pitt with “any schmo personal trainer”? Would they win as many games as they did this year? Would they have more injuries or less injuries?

If it’s true, then why bother spending money or time on a developed S&C program at all?

Do you still maintain your quote about “any schmo personal trainer…”.

Granted talent can overcome, to a degree, poor s & c but I seriously doubt that such a “schmo” could have “USC competing with the best of them.”

You should list what you have plan for your guys this winter so we all can see.

I don’t know anything about USC’s strength program, whether it is good or bad, etc.

I don’t know if its still on there, but if you have some time on your hands, check this out. About a year ago, I looked through their players’ bios, which gave fairly detailed injury history on each player, and at that time, it wasn’t pretty. Don’t know if it has changed much due to graduation, but at the time, there were a lot of shoulder and hip surgeries, among other things.

Davan you raise a very good point.

There shouldn’t even be programs called S&C.

Did you know that S&C is a western phrase that wasn’t even recognized in certain overseas countries until the west popularized it.

Verkhoshansky confirmed to me that there has never been any such thing as a coach of only physical preparation in the former Soviet Union.

The sport coaches were more than qualified to physically condition their athletes. Something that we cannot say about the majority of western sport coaches.

But hey, the industry is here for the taking so I’m going to continue to do my best.

Of course 'I’ll put my money where my mouth is". You give Buddy and me another year or two to ‘establish’ our program and anyone else can take over and at least the following year will run smooth because we’ll have trained the guys to train themselves and who ever takes over will have at least a free-bee year because the cummulative damage that might result if the person who takes over is a moron will likely not manifest itself in one season.