recipes

Glycemic load and glycemic index are two different things.

Can you explain the differences between the two?

As we know, glycemic index measures the rise of circulating sugar in the blood caused by ingesting food/carbohydrates. However, it makes no reference to AMOUNT of carbohydrates contained therein.

Glycemic load takes into account the GI, but also tells you HOW MUCH sugar you’re getting in a serving.

For instance, carrots may have a pretty high GI for vegetables, but the GL is pretty small; that is, you’d have to eat a TON of carrots to get a significant rapid rise in blood sugar.

That’s the best way I can explain it, maybe someone else can help.

Makes sense, thank ya.

Dis I say they were the same did I “whitechocolate”?

Well I didn’t. But thanks, for you’re very helpful post.

I will try to explain this to you the best I can. Since adding fat, lowers the GI, and gives a full feeling(meaning you may eat less total calories and carbs) it will lower the Glycemic load. I’m sorry if you got confused.

The way you originally worded it made no implication of reducing portion size of carbs.

Adding fat to a meal does not reduce the glycemic load. REPLACING some of the carbohydrates in a meal with fat WILL.

There is a big difference there.

Glycemic Index is figured into the Glycemic Load. How would a reduction in GI not lower Glycemic Load?

When comparing the effects of two meals with varying macronutrient ratios wouldn’t it make sense to keep the total calories equal? I thought that was a given. Apparently not.

Just because I didn’t spoon feed you the mechanics by which it occurs doesn’t mean it isn’t so. Please let it go, this is a little ridiculous.

Jesus Christ you’re taking offense to this.

Chill dude, I was simply clarifying what you said. When you tell someone that “fats lower the glycemic load”, that statement can be quite misleading. Yes, it may be implied that you are keeping the calories the same; however, many people may not register that fact in their mind immediately. This is not a matter of dumbing things down and spoon feeding it to others. It is a matter of careless wording.

Go eat a pixie stick. Then, go eat 8 bowls of oats.

The second meal has a reduced Glycemic Index; however, the glycemic load of the 8 bowls of oats will be considerably greater.

I have been searching a while for the mancake thread. I was wondering if anyone could help me find the thread where Charlie comments on glycemic drinks post-workout. He kind of takes a stab at Berardi.

I was wondering… If we wanted to burn some fat, wouldn’t we NOT want to take a glycemic drink because our body would burn the drink off instead of burning the extra fat stored in our body to make sugar to be used by the body. So if we are giving our body glycemic drinks it would use that for fuel instead of the stored fat in our bodies in other words.

Either way I was wondering if we could get some conversation on glycemic drinks. I was wondering what Charlie’s stance is on them? I know in another thread he said take LIV with a high glucose drink. Which one do you recommend. I know for years experts have recommended this.

Thoughts?

I’d use hi GI LIV type drinks only after very intense workouts and i wouldn’t encourage big blood sugar swings routinely.

Ok, good answer.