recipes

why not start with a recipe you like and try to make it more athletic?

Mancakes- add casein and slow cooked oats

Toughins- Muffins with attitude (more protein)

Oatsteel- Oatmeal with Myomax or Grow!

Gorilla Biscuits- Powerbars with protein

I just baught John Berardi’s new eCookbook. It’s pretty good and has a lot of easy recipes for athletes. What I especially like is the portion sizes of the recipes. As a lot of the experienced cooks here know, it’s often hard to find recipes for just one person. Unless you like eating the same leftovers all week.

http://www.johnberardi.com/products/gourmet/index.htm

If you make “Mancakes”, make sure you don’t use Soy, or you’ll need a “Manzier”

any feedback from this e-book, just let us know!
had a look at the site and .pdf sample, but i just need your opinion as well (practical etc)
thanks!
If you want to win in life you have to eat right. This does not mean you eat pancakes 24/7 but it doesn’t mean you never have them. You need to eat according to your goals and those goals are very personal. My experience having tried many diets and programs including Dr. Mauro DiPasquali’s anabolic diet is that what works for some will not be great for another. A strictly regulated diet, as often mentioned in books, is great for the classroom but tough to maintain. Of all the athletes I have met in the past 15 years , many of whom my husband has worked with, each listened to their body and ate reasonably. This is not to say that because a strict diet is tough you should’nt try. Try for yourself and see how it goes.
I’ll be posting some recipes from time to time and you can see me preparing meals on the new Jane DVD.

So far I like the recipes I’ve tried. They’re pretty easy too. The ebook also includes recipes for protein bars as well. It’s not a must have, but I’m always looking for ideas, and this book is specifically targeted toward athletes and emphasizes convenience.

thanks! hope you don’t get too full…

bumping this thread for jb’s cookbook…its a great buy especially for people (like me) who are constantly eating the same meals everyday cause they can’t cook. most recipes are simple and easy and like flash said, its geared towards the athlete. its has some good tips on preparing meals, what you need in the kitchen, etc.

thanks for your info; sounds promising for chefs like us…

seriously thinking about it…
thanks!

I have several terrifc cookbooks, including The Professional Chef by the Culinary Insitute of America, which is more of a cooking textbook than just a recipe book. However, a lot of the techniques you learn from these books are not convenient (though many are), and most standard recipes are designed for at least 4 servings. It’s hard to cook well for just one person for one meal. That’s why I like JB’s ebook. Plus, there’s nothing really radical or trending about it. It’s more about orginization, convenience and variety.

thanks Flash!

The last bit was added by Angela

LOL! thanks for clarifying this Charlie… It would be hard to follow a promise of me preparing meals in a DVD :wink:

Spot on words though!
Good to remind these to ourselves…

No offence, but you don’t look as good in an apron!

Offence? LOL!

i might be better off in an apron rather than on my spikes though! :smiley:

In the kitchen for sure

LOL! Thanks, Charlie!

Can U Post On How To Make The Creatine Jelly Donut Thing?

Can anyone post some P&F recipes that I can bring in from home for my morning meal at work? I’m getting sick of the same thing everyday.

I bought Berardi’s recipe book, wasn’t impressed.

I don’t understand why he talks about carbs & protein 2:1 ratio PWO, then makes PWO recipes that aren’t 2:1 ratio.

He says eat protein & fat together, and don’t eat carbs/fat in great amounts with protein. He makes recipes regardless of his advice.

The majority of his recipes go against his beliefs.

He wastes time with patronising text, telling you the benefits of fish oils, how to flip an omlette. :confused: It’s like he had empty spaces to fill.

90% of the recipes are standard ideas you have yourself, e.g omlette ‘6 egg whites, sausage, onion’.

I bought the book because I’m eating cleaner. I wanted recipes I can eat that will turn me off junk food. I’ve used one recipe.

I expected something like a low fat pizza for pwo, something new, different flavours. A PWO strawberry ice cream 2:1 carb/protein ratio.

Recipes are standard, very disappointed.

It doesn’t live up to JB’s description/hype.

2:1 is for the PWO shake. The following P+C meal doesn’t have to conform to this guideline.

It is perfectly fine for a P+C meal to contain 10-20% of it’s calories from fat, or P+F meals to contain some carbs. Otherwise how would you eat nuts and other healthy foods that contain all the macronutrients? This is why I don’t bother and just try to get the optimal amount of macronutrients throughout the day, paying less attention to each individual meal. I have found that adding natyy pb inot my oatmeal (w/ whey of course) helps lower the glycemic load and keeps me full. JB would say that combing carbs and fats would simultaneously raise insulin and fat levels in your blood, thus leading to fat storage. However this is a little faulty as the fats lower the glycemic load of the carbs (did you know a snickers bar has a lower GI than old-fashioned oatmeal?), and humans have been eating carbs, protein, fat in the same meal for generations. It all depends on what the carbs and fat are. Obviously the oatmeal recipe I mentioned earlier would not be the same as eating a can of chocolate frosting, even though both contain fat and carbs.