Reactive Ability - CMJ vs. DJ

Okay, I know what Siff and Verkhoshansky say on the subject, but I want some personal input from the members here.

How important do you find reactive jump (depth jump) heights relative to standing vertical leap heights to be with your sprinters and jumpers? Do your best sprinters/jumpers often times have the best reactivity? What are some of the best numbers you’ve seen (absolute and CMJ relative to DJ)?

Personally, I’ve always found that as my reactive jumps increase (both in an absolute sense and relative to my standing leap) the faster I seem to go.

Thanks for your input.

CMJ for top speed
Static Jump for acceleration

Plyometric strength is a factor only when sprint volumes have been met.

Is that what you’ve found in your experience?

I ask because it seems strange that a movement so dependent upon strength, and quad dominant, as the standing vertical leap would correlate to your top speed. Then again, if you’re an individual who is naturally much faster than they are strong, this would make sense.

Anyone else?

Reactive jumps will correlate more with top speed and countermovement jumps will correlate more with acceleration. Athletes who have to absorb huge amounts of force in their events(Sprinters and jumpers) will obviously require much higher levels of reactive strength than athletes who do not experience these forces in their event.

Also, I think with vertical jumps alot of the force comes from the glutes also.

Thank you for your reply.

Having said that, I know what qualities they are dependent on and what they correlate to, I’m looking for personal experience from other coaches and athletes. I would like to know how others’ reactive jump numbers have correlated with their sprint/jump improvements over time.

Stop trying to correlate jump numbers with sprint numbers and go out and sprint/race to see how fast you are. Most coaches/athletes wont be able to give you solid feedback because they dont use this info the way you do. You should have learn your lesson last season with trying to correlate jump numbers to sprint numbers.

Actually, now that I’m sprinting more (unlike last year) my jump numbers are correlating to my sprint numbers. Every time I hit a reactive jump PR, I hit a 50M PR. I did exactly that just a week ago, though it was kind of in reverse. I hit a PR @ 50M and then next session hit a PR on reactive jumps.

You cannot accurately time when you get one frame every .06+ seconds.

When your run is one frame faster than last time, yes you can.

The proof will be in the pudding this summer.:slight_smile:

That’s for sure–he’s going to go 2-3 frames faster for 100m.

Clean out your pms.

Davan, don’t you have to study for something? And Tamfb, shouldn’t you be training some athletes?

Seriously, you guys have got to have something better to do than hound me.

And yes, you will see a dramatic decrease in my 100M time this summer and probably an even more dramatic increase in my LJ. Until then, lay off a bit, will you. :slight_smile:

If you want to correlate something go out and time your 30m block starts, flying 30’s, or maybe bounds.

Hey man im not giving you trouble, i really think you could be so much better if you would listen and change your training.

I would have agreed with you, and for 2.5 months I followed a setup similar to the one you and most other people here advocate. I did sprint work and then followed it off with low volume submax weights later in the day. During that time I actually slowed down in the 50M. The only good things that happened were my squat went up and my CMJ increased 1/2", neither of which really mattered. Despite how little it looked like I was doing in my log, that was still too much volume for me.

Now, as for sprinting frequently, don’t worry, I’m not going to make that same mistake again. As soon as it get warm enough to where I can hit the track regularly I’ll be sprinting in some form (top speed or SE) in most of my sessions. Even right now, I’m still sprinting once per week.

Trust me, I won’t wreck myself with poor training like I did last season.

The part in bold is what i have a problem with I understand you cant sprint outside but this is the time for you to work on the first 40m of your race and when you move outdoors hammer the top speed and speed end. Right now you should be hitting the weights, jumps,hops,bounds (no fancy depth jumps etc), short sprints and sled pulls 2-3 days per week, your tempo would be chicken soup - anything you wanted it to be.

Okay, I am currently hitting the weights, doing accels, doing hops in my warmups, and am doing depth jump work instead of bounds as they work basically the same thing, are easier to measure, and don’t tear up my knees and ankles. I do tempo before upper body sessions and it’s usually a 5-10 minute bodyweight conditioning circuit. Not much, I know, but my work capacity is horrible.

So basically, I am doing that stuff right now. Like I said, I have my head on straight for this season. Things will go well.

YOUR ONLY DURING ONE SPRINT, THAT NOTHING.

Yes, I am only including sprints one day per week. It may seem crazy, but when everything else in the routine is working on my weak points, the only purpose of the sprint is to retain form.

Basically, the value of sprints in my current program is not so much to make me faster directly, but to maintain my skill in the movement while the rest of my training improves the various qualities sprinting relies upon.

if u say so.