Randy Moss in training

Very good question. With no peak- or plan for that matter, when could a test be done?

I dont know the answer to that question, but im sure its a rep test probably in the 6-8 range for the upper body.

penn state off season program:
1 set per drill in circuit fashion

man neck
mil press
bp
flyes
lat pd
machine pull overs
leg raises
crunches
leg press
leg ext
leg curls
calf raises

conditioning drills:
14x40’s 12 of the 14 have to be run under a certain time.

i guess the hit program does develop total body strength:

lavar arrington:
bp 450
bs 600
4.39 40yd

rep test in the 6 to 8 range. Tables don’t allow for endurance effects so 8 reps converted for a hit guy won’t equate to the assumes conversion for a lifter.

dont understand what ur saying, so ru saying its not accurate?

I’m saying that if they want to say they can lift 500 pounds- they have to lift 500 pounds

We had one “testing” day where we did bench. It was the week right before spring break before spring ball started. It was a traditional 1RM test. Can’t speak for other HIT schools or other sports.

Exactly. Some of these rep charts have ridiculous conversions that way overestimate people’s max. Especially for athletes who train strength endurance(HIT). Not saying its impossible for someone to have a good bench press in a HIT program just that people should be aware of how they tested when someone says how much an athlete can lift.

I don’t think UM did actual 1rm testing but rather predicted maxes from high rep performances on the bench.

BTW, the Owen Schmitt 500+ clean at WVU(even though Barwis at UM is a major s & c upgrade, imo) was actually a rep max done at around 325/335 for multiple reps and nowhere near an actual 500 lb. clean. I was told that it was actually more of a cluster set with significant rest between the reps.

exactly what i thought about those bp maxes, i also knew that hc wasnt a legal max attempt - 500lb give me a break.

The leg press focus was mostly in response to eliminating the squat from the program when Schembechler’s own son was injured doing them one day-under Gittleson no less.

The lesson to be learned is not to replace the exercise but rather the ineffective coach and his outdated methods.

Here’s a sample of the previous staff’s program that was recently posted by “Fisher” on the rivals.com network-thewolverine.com. I’m posting this just as it appeared.

Gittleson’s workout

Monday lifting(note, every lift was to failure)

1)pull-ups
2)decline sit-ups
3)bench press x 3 sets
4)pull-ups
5)shoulder press/any shoulder exercise
6)upper back row
7)pull-ups
8)lateral shoulder raise
9)any bicep
10)any tricep
11)any shoulder
12)bench press max reps 225 lbs.
13)neck
14)shoulder raises
15)pull-ups
16)incline bench press
17)any forearm/gripper
18)leg
19)leg
20)leg
21)any bicep
22)any tricep

Such a workout would be completed, supposedly, in an “hour or so”.

I don’t know about other days but why even put in leg/lower body if you are going to throw three consecutive exercises together at spots 18-20? The exercises were, most likely, leg presses/leg extensions/leg curls.

The program was even worse than I had imagined over the years. Bits and pieces about the program would leak out over time but I did not even begin to fathom that it was this poor.

Besides the 225 test, a starting d-lineman-Will Johnson, was reported to have benched 315 22 times. Their testing range was, for many, well above 8 reps and was mostly(if not exclusively) on the bench press. Most were doing the 225 test as a regular exercise(as on above list) as well as an occasional test. Bench was of the few things tested in the program over the years.