Questions about lifting during SPP

My daughter is on week 9 of a 400m L2S program Charlie gave out in the “400m S-L questions” thread, here, in Planning and Periodization. It has the 2006 copyright. Her progress is listed in the thread “Young Runners Training Journal”, in the “My Training Journal” forum.

She wanted to lift during the SPP, and kept begging, so, I let her lift on speed days. I thought it would be ok and I was going to watch her for signs of over-working.
She was dong 3 different lifts per speed day, alternating between 9 of the 10 lifts suggested in weights for speed 1 (no way to do reverse leg press), using a 3 x 8 program.
It was recommended that maybe she should’nt lift during the SPP, so I had her stop about 3 weeks ago.

Yesterday was a speed day, and she made a number of comments/complaints that she felt much stronger/more powerful with her starts when she was lifting, and that now she just feels like she’s just running, without the feeling of power.

Would like to know others thoughts about this.

Also, when the SPP ends, there will be 1 week open until her High School track starts, Febuary 25th.

Would like suggestions of what her workout could be, which I assume should be a light transitional type?

We are planning on running in 3 open University indoor meets, Febuary 10 (600m), Febuary 16 (400m and/or 200m) and March 1 (400m, or 200/60m).

It was recommended that she stop lifting by whom? And why?

It was no one from here, but they felt that the lifting plus the workout would be too much for her.
I probably should have brought it up here first before dropping?

Rich,
Nikoluski is asking the right question… Why would you stop doing something when everything appeared to be going well?
Don’t panic now just because you stopped.
I would bring the lifting back asap but be mindful that you are now very close to competing.
I went to a series of meetings in Ca without CF as he would not travel with me due to controversy etc… People would come up and comment on my starts…( btw, I had a very starts) I would tell CF and he would go ballistic. Rich…, you appear to have a plan. You are appear to be pretty organized. You sound and it seems like you are doing a good job. I am not sure who told you to stop doing the lifting but I am very curious about who and what their motivation for saying so might be. Further , no one says you need to listen.

At a certain point you will see and understand that everyone wants to comment when someone appears to be doing something. Note how few people you see out there in general terms and notice how organized they are not?
People mean well or sometimes they don’t mean anything at all because they do not know anything. I don’t know who this person is or what qualifies them to say such a thing and what is too much work and for whom? IF someone is used to doing something and has successfully been doing something with a proper progression that makes it entirely different than an average person who has not been doing much of anything.

Angela,

Your comments and wisdom are very much appreciated, thank you.

Lesson learned…I will trust in what I’m doing for now on until performance or other program related issues give me reason to change.

How best to start her back into the lifting? Should she jump right into it again, or ease into it?

Also, does it make any difference that this is her “easy” week?

By the way you’re phrasing it, it seems like you know she should ease into it. Don’t want DOMS, and don’t want to “jump right into” anything crazy close to a competition period.

Yes, I meant more as a time period, this week, next week or later, and work it into a different workout?

Rich,

Who will be monitoring her training progressions during HS season? I have a few suggests but it revolves around this answer.

I sent you an email…

I would try to smoothly re-introduce some form of gym training during this easy week you have planned. You are probably the best judge of what and how, I guess… I presume you have control over this part of her training.

Great advice! Gradual is key

I too have questions about this. I humbly ask to careen the thread. I plan on using more weights during comp phase of season but just at a maintenance level. What percentages should I prescribe for athletes who are quite comfortable with the weight room and at least 3 years of track under the belt (HS by the way)? Please ask questions for clarity if needed

How many sessions per week and what exercises?

Studies have shown in well trained athletes 1 set at 80 % to failure, improvements of 20% for 1rmax over a 12 week period, training twice a week. ( warm up 10 reps at 50% , 1 rep x 60%, and 70%

Can you point me to these studies please. Thanks.

Eur J Appl Physiol. 2011 Dec;111(12):3007-16. doi: 10.1007/s00421-011-1944-x. Epub 2011 Mar 31.
Strength and neuromuscular adaptation following one, four, and eight sets of high intensity resistance exercise in trained males.
Marshall PW, McEwen M, Robbins DW.
Source
School of Biomedical and Health Science, University of Western Sydney, Sydney, Australia. p.marshall@uws.edu.au
Abstract
The optimal volume of resistance exercise to prescribe for trained individuals is unclear. The purpose of this study was to randomly assign resistance trained individuals to 6-weeks of squat exercise, prescribed at 80% of a 1 repetition-maximum (1-RM), using either one, four, or eight sets of repetitions to failure performed twice per week. Participants then performed the same peaking program for 4-weeks. Squat 1-RM, quadriceps muscle activation, and contractile rate of force development (RFD) were measured before, during, and after the training program. 32 resistance-trained male participants completed the 10-week program. Squat 1-RM was significantly increased for all groups after 6 and 10-weeks of training (P < 0.05). The 8-set group was significantly stronger than the 1-set group after 3-weeks of training (7.9% difference, P < 0.05), and remained stronger after 6 and 10-weeks of training (P < 0.05). Peak muscle activation did not change during the study. Early (30, 50 ms) and peak RFD was significantly decreased for all groups after 6 and 10-weeks of training (P < 0.05). Peak isometric force output did not change for any group. The results of this study support resistance exercise prescription in excess of 4-sets (i.e. 8-sets) for faster and greater strength gains as compared to 1-set training. Common neuromuscular changes are attributed to high intensity squats (80% 1-RM) combined with a repetition to failure prescription. This prescription may not be useful for sports application owing to decreased early and peak RFD. Individual responsiveness to 1-set of training should be evaluated in the first 3-weeks of training.

I have the abovementioned study, will need to scan and send.

1 set, 4 set , 8 set group all had gains training to failure. Averages reps groups, 1 set group 10.9 reps, 4 sets group 9, 8 set group 8.2 reps. 3 minutes recovery between sets.

Greatest gains in the 8 set group compared to the 4 set and 1 set. Some criticism, training to failure is risky. Training to failure at 80% can interfere with other training modalities. Completing 8 sets is not very realistic for most athletes who are not Power lifters or Weight lifters.

The study was well controlled.

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/1997/08000/The_Effect_of_Weight_Training_Volume_on_Hormonal.3.aspx

In contrast, Ostrowski reporting no differences in resting concentrations of testosterone or testosterone/cortisol ratio in the 1 set, 2 set, 4 set group. Based on Ostrowski, theoretically once a minimum training stimuli is reached, any further volume may result in lower testosterone/cortisol ratio in some individuals. No differences between single set and multiple set groups.

The 1 set group improved their squat from 149kg to 166kg in the first study. The 4 set improved 157lkg to 179kg. 8 set group improved 162kg to 199kg.