Questions about DOMS and cns adaptation.

I’ve thought about this for some time now. I believe the answer is yes but some of you might have some personal experience with this. If an athlete is trying to increase muscle size should he aim for moderate or light doms or is it not necessary for growth?

Doms decreases ROM and alters running mechanics around knee joint. Do you believe this increases the danger of injuries and developing poor mechanics?

Also want to understand more about cns strength.Is changes in exercise use necessary to create adaptation of the cns in the same way as changes is necessary to induce doms? When sprinters go from hills to block accel to top speed and gradually increase cns stimulus, is this mainly a way of keeping not only the muscles adapting to a higher stimuli through the season but also/mainly the cns?

Powerfulsoccer;210248: I’ve thought about this for some time now. I believe the answer is yes but some of you might have some personal experience with this. If an athlete is trying to increase muscle size should he aim for moderate or light doms or is it not necessary for growth?

This is interesting. I’m not sure that research has proven either idea.This is also something us as performance coaches/trainers deal with regularly when an athlete/clients goal is hypertrophy. The trainee always like to judge how good the workout was by how sore he or she is the next day.

What research does show us or at least points to is that soreness seems to be a product of excess Ca2+ ions which are released from the sarcoplasmic reticulum attacking the cell membrane which causes inflamation (soreness you feel)/ mechanical damage??? I have also read that the adaptation that takes places over time (so you no longer get sore doing the same thing) is a regulatory protein which the muscles develop that gets rid of these Ca2+ ions.

Now with that being said anecdotally I’d say that some soreness may be needed for hypertrophy but lets not forget that there are other factors responsible to muscle growth such as growth factors such as IGF.
I’m looking forward to hearing others responses.

What research does show us or at least points to is that soreness seems to be a product of excess Ca2+ ions which are released from the sarcoplasmic reticulum attacking the cell membrane which causes inflamation (soreness you feel)/ mechanical damage??? I have also read that the adaptation that takes places over time (so you no longer get sore doing the same thing) is a regulatory protein which the muscles develop that gets rid of these Ca2+ ions.

Have not read anything about ca2+ in relation to soreness, but this review article list possible factors contributing to doms:
http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/pdf?vid=1&hid=114&sid=d9b424ee-57d0-4c32-b88d-3333754899a2%40sessionmgr104

Factors are: lactic acid, muscle spasm, connective tissue damage, muscle damage, inflammation, enzyme efflux theories and other proposed models. More than one of these factors propably contribute to doms, and a hypothetical sequence is presented in this article. This article was published 2003 and i’ve not found more updated research on the topic.

Link to article about doms and running mechanics:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T6Y-4K128XK-1&_user=1460901&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000052797&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=1460901&md5=48a3d80d4992cc0f8d30eb5d618ab0bd
If doms is vital for muscle growth this is a reason for not training for hypertrophy and sprinting speed in the same training cycle. Doms also causes reduced power output. But would you still use general methods of training explosivness in this period?

I don’t believe the relation between doms and hypertrophy have been well researched, can’t find anything published on sportdiscus. Hoping to get some response regarding personal experience.

Also found an article suggesting that the hormonal response to resistance exercise is not significantly altered when performed soon after an unaccustomed exercise bout leading to DOMS. My knowledge of hormones is limited but maybe this explain why light excercise is used to get rid of doms(if warmup type of training creates hormonal response?). After some research i found easy full ROM exercise and massage are the best methods to recover from doms.