Question on strength endurance

I was reading a little book of Gerard Mach.Looking at “the strenght endurance” i saw the influence he had on Charlie training system.
But, i can’t undestand so well how strenght endurance can be so important.
Ok,in the gym lifting weight we are looking mainly at power or max strength,not the strength endurance (except maybe for first phase where we can use a quite large number of repetition(>8)).
But when running special endurance,aren’t we still working the involved muscles in a resistance strength modality??
(I understand the correct word should be resistance power/speed,but i think there is so much similarity in a metabolic point of view between this two).

P.S. Maybe you explain this in the Vancouver 2004,but i’am still waiting for the DVD!

Strength Endurance is used for a number of reasons - actually the answer to your question is in the Van’04 DVD and in the Forum Review '02 Final Print Book! For the long, detailed answer look there…

On a personal note I use it for 3 reasons:

1. Focusing on staying relaxed in the shoulders and face even when fatigued.

2. To initially teach and then reinforce good arm mechanics while sprinting. And leg mechanics to an extent.

3. As a form of conditioning that is very safe (I do them in flats on a 1inch softish mat) and where I can provide feedback they can hear and respond to during the actual exercise. This is used to complement other forms of training to balance out programmes.

Everything is useful so long as you use it for at the right time and in the right context.

TC

Ok.I’ll search in the Forum 2002 final review (i have all Charlie’s product…really so many information,i need time to metabolize them :slight_smile: ).

Yes,i agree with all your three points.

Wich drills do you use for strenght endurance ?
I was using only A-walk (like skip A but a walking).

R

P.S.the discussion on strength endurance you were talking about is that on pages 21-22 ?

Page 21 Forum Review Final - Power Endurance. Van’04 when charlie is discussing short to long and telling the story about the coach that nicked his ideas, copyrighted it and taught it to the canadian coaches.

As for the drills:
Running A drills (high knees) while I walk backwards so they have to go at walking pace. Very tiring but no real CNS fatigue on grass or mats. I can’t see how you could do any others really, they are more rhythm drills for hurdles (see Mach book).

TC

If the running A’s are done over a long enough distance/time, they’ll certainly cause CNS fatigue, though not nearly as much, relative to the level of muscular exhaustion, as Special Endurance runs.
The stuff that was ripped off was a long-to-short program and revolved around methods to maintain overall high speed volumes while reducing the Special Endurance distances over time to prevent a very narrow (short duration) peak.

Does this mean that a short to long programme could produce a longer in duration peak vs. a long to short programme? Sorry, but I can’t recall on this… Unless this is a specific example of yours and/or it depends on other factors as well.
Thanks!

Well longer exposure to high intensity is a double-edged sword. Yes, it should, provided you have a very high tolerance to this type of work (and hopefully this is why the approach was chosen)
If you don’t have a high threshold to CNS work, you might well have a drop-off before the season begins. That why there needs to be both options.