Question on Isos

It’s not always working on the athlete’s weaknesses, but a lot of focus does go in that direction. A lot of it is up to the coach’s discretion though.

Using myself as an example, I’m a heavy 100M sprinter with thick joints, short tendons, and I would probably be better served as a javelin or discus guy. Naturally, my acceleration is better than my top speed, which is better than my speed endurance. My structure puts a natural cap on just how good my speed and SE can get. For that reason, my acceleration will always be relatively better.

Now, I’m currently employing a lot of SE and SE1 work (An-2 RFI work in Inno classification) to try and bring up this deficiency as much as possible, but at some point, I’m going to have to decided that my speed and SE are maxed out and give focus back to accel. So really, as long as a smart coach who can see their athletes’ limitations is using the system, there will be no problems with work allocation.

Similarly, I don’t do a lot of SE2 work as it’s not even really beneficial for someone of my structure. But the coach has to make these calls.

Don’t get angry … it’s really not worth it … relax.

But lets be honest … It is a bit odd - a system where the people have to make up a ‘guru’?
Kinda hard to trust the rest of the information if you can’t trust the authors integrity?

As for the principles - no one has disputed iso’s etc have effects - it’s just athletes need look at the overal picture first before they chaneg their program and ask what is exactly happening.

I’m not happy about the guru invention either, but who would listen to a mechanical engineer (Nuttall) on training even if his ideas were great (which they are)? It was a dumb move to get publicity, but it in no way reflects the information presented.

And as for ISOs, once more, I have never used ISOs in conjunction with an Inno-Sport plan. They are used, but only for durations of under 40 seconds. The long duration ISOs that have been discussed on this board have nothing to do with DB Hammer or the Inno-Sport system.

And I agree, athletes do need to assess their program as a whole before adding or subtracting work. That is the premise of the entire system. Everything is supposed to fit together as a whole to bring about improvements.

Hmm… 23 is espousing one of the fundamental principles of the inno system. maybe you are db hammer :smiley:

taking us back to RJ’s point, schroeder and inno are not the same system. The inno system was not stolen from jay, contrary to popular belief. They are completely different in their approach and organization of training.

I believe that was all RJ was trying to say.

In that point RJ is correct and 23 is wrong

And james smiths crossfit reference, excellent

Is resting heart rate an indication of fitness?
If so, do you think that purely doing isos can improve overall fitness, that would otherwide be accomplished through aerobic work (tempo, etc?), minus the circulatory benefits that Charlie mentioned?

I’ve been doing isos since January (and pretty much nothing else), and my resting heart rate is currently at 56 (verified by a cardiogram test I had just yesterday).

yeah sprinters and especially long distance runners tend to show lower resting heart rates.

Also, Stephanie or anyone else who has done the iso’s for a significant amount of time, have you noticed any difference in either heart rates immediately after activity or how quickly your heart rate drops back to your resting heart rate?

WIth me, heart rate is higher I think immediately after activity than before when I used to sprint train with tempo and all, but it drops down rather quickly.
But it’s not as if I can go and run 100m to test this, as I’m still patiently waiting to heal myself…
I was noting my heart rate more because I’ve been doing ONLY isos for the past months. I thought it was interesting.

http://wgfforum.llsint.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=302

Thanks John.
The last post on page number 4 of that disuscussion is very interesting!

I prefer Kelly’s response on P6. :stuck_out_tongue:

[i]These posts illustrate the biggest problems I have with Schroeder. The pseudoscience is running deep.

When he says something like, “a long duration iso doesn’t fatigue the nervous system”, followers take that to mean that no other training methods work the same way. The reason they don’t fatigue the nervous system is because theyre too light. Lifting a 5 pound dumbell 100 times won’t fatigue your nervous system either.

As for the parasympathetic vs sympathetic thing, that’s just an explanation for being in the “zone”. Other people call it different things. Scientists call it an alpha state…most know if as a meditative state. If anyone here is a teacher or works with kids give some of these tests to your students and what you’ll find is the ones with ADHD do better. They stay more relaxed under high stress conditions…whichis why they kick everyones ass in video games and have a natural lean towards daredevil type sports.
[/i]

I object … :rolleyes:

Partly because there are “zones” and “zones”… Only a small percentage of people are able to reach those higher levels of neurological circuits (according to Robert Anton Wilson, they can be reached with advanced yoga techniques among other things, relating to what “Kelly” is saying about meditation); reaching an “alpha state” is more profound than simply “being in the zone”, an expression that athletes use almost every day when they just feel better than normal.
Now I’m not sure about ADHD… I’m not blessed with the condition, (“blessed”, if those people are able to reach alpha states so easily)

I respect the fact that there are people who are researching ways in making humans function better, neurologically.
We were given a brain for a reason anyway… What’s so bad about exploring it?

never said it was in fact it is an amazing and very interesting thing. As stated in that and this thread there is view that mental strength is the number 1 benefit to extreme iso’s.

Oh nothing personal John, it was a general reaction towards people who view different well stated opinions as gibberish.
I’m fascinated by it as well!
Oh and I’m not a “follower that takes that to mean that no other training methods works the same way”.
Open mindedness brings new unexpected knowledge… :wink:

well, wouldn’t you consider elite athletes who have a single purpose in life to reach the pinicale of their chosen sport to be able to Reach the Zone at will?
i know when im training well, that my mind can be all over the place before training, and say im doing 400’s tempo, as i hit the start line, my mind stops all outside things and solely concentrates on the 400m at hand.
eg steff,
remember when you were doing hill sprints last yr with your sister, and you finished the effort and looked back for your sister, she had stopped to help some kid who fell off his bike - your sister was like, didn’t you see that? you ran right past him!!
lets say a bomb go’s off when training, and you do not know until your rep is finished…

or, since bombs don’t normally go off when training,

you do an effort, you come to a stop, and somebody asks you, “how was that?” and you stop to think, “hmmm, well, um, i don’t know!” you just totally forgot what just happened, you might remember that fact that you just did an effort, but your mind was soo into doing it, it was a totally unconscious moment that you don’t remember doing it.

just be careful you aren’t so open minded your brain falls out :wink:

Bold is right re getting in the zone. Isn’t that the part of the objective of doing a warm up? I know in golf that is one of the reasons for a pre shot routine. Auto cure which means this is game time!

Perhaps, but I also think there are higher levels of zones, that are not too explored, and have not been much used in conjuction with athletic performance.
If you’ve heard about the 7 limbs of yoga for instance, the first 4 “limbs”, you learn to be in the common “zone”, where you block everything out, and you could perhaps run right past a bicyclist who’s crashing down from a 4ft high wall and falls on his face and his head is bleeding (:rolleyes: ) and not notice anything.
But then there are 3 higher “limbs” as well, the 5th one where you reach a state of being “deliberately spontaneous”, the 6th one where “mind and its contents are functionally identical”, and the 7th one where you are in the neurogenetic circuit. (about 5% of the human population can access that level).

I would like to be in a zone, allowing me to help this poor bicyclist!

Agreed that there is more to the “zone” than just being in the zone. The zone can as you say, be more than just one thing or level.
i would envision though, that elite - athletes or even elite top of the game professionals hit these higher top range Zones more often or even at Will than what the average person could ever hope to - hence why they are elite! well part of the reason anyway.
i would say the way to get it, is a couple of ways, one - you naturally just “get it” without any thought or being shown how to, you just do it.
two - due to high levels of training, over and over it gets drilled into you more as a by-product. however, just because you train real hard does not actually mean you reach such levels (perhaps other life things mentally distract you??)
three - you study up on the process and do mental exercises to enable you to achieve such a state.

the way i see it, if you suck as an athlete, and look to being in a higher zone as to help you achieve higher sporting (or work) success, it may help so long as your training proccess are also changed to be in the right order as well - including therapy etc etc. However, learn to get into a high zone from study, and training/therapy still sucks, then at the end of the year, you as an athlete may be a bit better, but you will still suck.

1st comes training,training training then some therapy, and further down the line will come mental prep. It will help give you an edge - but an edge when you suck still leaves you sucking!

p.s. - im not emplying that the “you” in the above is directed at you steff. The “you” is neutral.

Or mental training can be in conjunction with training training training, so that training (training training… :rolleyes: ) can be more efficient and meaningful.

lets say a bomb go’s off when training, and you do not know until your rep is finished…

It was an extreme example, but it has actually happened to me (a big explosion in a factory close to the track)…