question about allan wells training

Hi Youngy, do you use any tempo running workouts in your system, or do you find the circuits and speedball are good enough alternatives for that sort of work?

The reason I ask, is that I only have time to get to the track twice per week due to family/work commitments, but have a garage in which I work out. I have previously used a shortened, modified version of the system (no speedball, and only pressups, chinnies, alternate squat thrusts and squat jumps) which I got from this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Sprinting-Hurdling-Skills-Peter-Warden/dp/1852232994

which got me in great shape.

Due to lower limb injuries I am looking for conditioning routines which will give the same benefits of tempo, with less impact.

Thanks.

John, in addition to Charlie’s basement tempo series all you need do, from the standpoint of general fitness and aerobic training, is monitor your heart rate during a regular tempo session- then match that heart rate via the performance of low impact exercises.

While this type of work does not have the same biodynamic transfer as the tempo runs themselves, it is very beneficial from a general work capacity standpoint and more specific to the muscles and how they function during the particular exercises.

In addition, with this type of exercise you may train a range of cardiac and aerobic abilities by making the necessary HR intensity adjustments relative to your anaerobic threshold.

JohnG109 wrote: “Hi Youngy, do you use any tempo running workouts in your system, or do you find the circuits and speedball are good enough alternatives for that sort of work?”

Yes we do incorporate some tempo running - normally 6 to 8 run throughs over about 120m. We encourage this be done 3 to 4 times per week minimum. Some do plyos and medicine ball work as well to compliment the gym work.

After next week (test/rest week) - we will be on the track 5 to 6 days per week (either 4/2 or 5/1 combo of grass/synthetic) and the gym work will be twice a week for maintenance only.

My dear Youngy and co., I hope to contribute with something I found on my hard disk…Is an article ( in italian) from Margot Wells, dated 1981…I can send the original…I’ll just translate this part, when she states that, after running 10.9 at 24, he decided to concentrate on sprinting.
The training was divided then in 4 parts:

1. Gymnastic exercises phase ( 1 training a day)
    This kind of work is performed at night in a small basement /garage, equipped with 3 speed balls , 3 mats, and a ladder.
    The garage is extrememly cold, and that makes training very difficult;a greater effort becomes necessary to increase cardiac frequency and body temperature.However, before enering that freezy place, a warm up is needed, so a light work is perfrmed in a neighbouring park.
    Warm up:no jogging is performed during any w.up phase.We substitute it with easy strides, increasing speed gently and progressively, over distances of 100m, 5-6 times, so we can concentrate on running technique.
    then follows a quite long stretching and mobility exercises, working primarily knee and hip mobility.
    After those, other strides follows, increasing gradually speed.
    warm up is 30-40 m long, and remains the same before gym training and before track training.
    After that, light session focusing on 3 moments:a) knee lift, B) hip mobility,c) lower leg extension, in order to increase total stride lenght.
    The exercises choosen are:
    Bounds: this exercise was performed in 2 ways… for power over a distance, and for speed.Both over 100m.previous experince as a Long Jumper was quite important, becasue he wss techinically perfect in the power bounds.Speed bounds were performed stressing a quick movement of recovery leg, lifting knee high and leaving supporting leg on the ground as long as possible.

High knees: performed in 2 ways, with or without leg extension.
During performance, back should remain flat and still, whil leg is flexed and lifted.Continuing to mantain knee lifted, then you extend lower leg, trying to grip the ground.
The exercise is performed running, with arm action.The exercise without leg extension is performed the same way, but is immediatly making contact with the gorund, so a shorter and faster drill.
These exercises were repeated 2-4 times, walking back for recovery.
Then we had a 2 miles trip to reach the garage for gym work.garage was not well equipped and cold, but fit our needs, because speed ball is very loud, especially when 3 guys are hitting it.
Speed ball is just one of the 4 exercises, but maybe the more controversial, but should be stressed that is not more important than any of the other 3.
Speed ball training had been used in Scotland for 10-15 years, by pro and amateurs as well.His role in the circuit is to strengthen the upper body, which can obviously strengthened by weights, but speed ball can give you the ability to work continuosly and in complete decontraction, the weights cannot do so.
If tightness on arm and shoulders come out, the ability to hit the ball is compromised, and this, transerred on the track, can be verified in allan’s ability to keep shoulders low and without upperbody tensions.
Hitting speedball require concentration, especially if there are many people hitting them, becuse you have to concentrate on the rumor of your own ball, because ball travels so fast to follow it with eyes.
it has been stated that speed ball trainign quickens neuro muscular pathways, sharpening reaction time.
despite not being scientifically proven, the fact that arms n and legs work at a speed higher that on the track, this could produce positive effects on stride frequency .what’s more, shoulder mobility is increased, allowing the athlete to move through a longer range with more energy.
speed ball involves also the whole body, beacuse the movement starts from fingers of the feet, and finishes with the hands.The only part not moving is the head.
In the circuit, speed ball is the first exercise;it is a 6 set x 3 minutes format, with 1 minute rest.
After its conclusion, the other 3 exercises are performed in a kind of circuit; e
ach one is divided in 6 sets.
the 3 exercises are chinnies, press ups and squats.
Chinnies.
are performed on the back, sitted with spread legs, with a knee toward the opposite shoulder, without trunk rotation.This exercise not only develops abs strength,but also helps hip mobility, stabilize trunck rotation, strengthens hip flexors.
It is performed for about 40 reps, increasing each week until reaching a single set of 300 to 1000 (???)
Press ups: are performed to strenghten upper body, and a set varies from 25 to 40 , up to 120.
Squat: 3/4 on 2 legs, performed with weighted vest, sets of 30.
This phase, Gym period, is 6 weeks long, and is not as intense as the second phase.
Then w moved on the track, where we performed different phases, each one lasting 1 week. ( more to follow…)

1st week: runs over 110, 2x6 at about 50 %
2nd week: distance decreased to 55m, speed well under 75%, sets of 6 reps.
3rd week: runs are now 75%, traing session gets fatiguing and need a good effort
Runs are 125m, with a 15 m stop in between ( it is so in the translation…was awful!!), so 55m, 15m, 55m.
4th week:now speed gets higher, and runs at maximum effort over 45m are performed, form standing start, contributing to acceleration over 20m
5th week: exactly like week 3, but with block starts, and just 2x3, with longer rrest.

the aim of this 5 week phase is to prevent lower legs issues, like periostitis.More, after a long period out of the track, this phase gets your legs used to tartan track, and helps to correct any error in arm action, running tech and starting.
From now on, all the runs are form blocks on short distances, except for 100 200m.the we get to the y is nphase.
I think the name is wrong, bacuse just a few races are actually easy, but it means that the results are not so important in this phase.
In the last 3 years, this phase has been performed “downunder”, and had a great succes.During this period , Allan could relax, compete in the sun and race without too much pressure.
If you ever experienced a cold scottish winter without indoor facilities, it will be easy to understand why we go there.
after that, we come back home for the 3rd phase of training. ( more to follow later…)

If you ever experienced a cold scottish winter without indoor facilities, it will be easy to understand why we go there.
after that, we come back home for the 3rd phase of training. ( more to follow later…)

Why would anyone in Jamaica or Australia train the Scottish winter way spending 10 weeks in the gym without going to do track running?

While it may be OK to train like this in those places which have Scottish like climate spending 10 weeks in the gym hitting a speedball and doing circuit training (5 very basic exercises) I can not see a single reason why an athlete in sunny Queensland would do anything like that.

£rd phase,…2 times a day ( gym phase…again???)
Training gets mor eintense.
a) legs work in the morning
b) gym ex nightise at night
in legs work w eincluded exercises we thought useful lfor allan’s weak points, performed every morining for 8 weks.
Gym phase exercises are the same as the 1st one, but more intense and for longer and more reps also.
Mentally is very stressful, because you know you have to go to the garage every night, even if you are tired you have to get 100%, and repeat the same exercises is tiring.
This 5 week strenghtening is performed before starting any kind of speed training or competitions itselves…

Unfortunately there is nothing more on the following phases…transaltion in italian had lost many things I suppose…and no mentions about weekly alternations of track work…but, however…just wanted to share…

It’s like asking why Charlie was doing all those 60s when stuck indoors in Canada… You act according to your specific circumstances, I guess.

Correct…maximize what you have…and we talk about history here…

It’s like asking why Charlie was doing all those 60s when stuck indoors in Canada… You act according to your specific circumstances, I guess.

While I agree with you that we all should act according to our specific circumstances I would not agree with your example. It is one thing to train at a proper indoor track facility where you could train in the gym as well as run on track. That’s why it has been built for. However, if I remember correctly Wells did his plyometrics on an outdoor track in rain. I would hardly recommend anyone to train like that today. Then presently you have those wombats who train for 10 weeks straight (6-7 days a week) in the gym during GPP period while following this program refusing to step out on track as it would be “against the rules” or something. Quite amusing.

The 2009 AT&FCA Congress is in Melbourne on 2nd October to 4th October 2009.

The early-bird registrations close today Friday 21st August.

After today a higher fee applies.

Special guest presenters at the 2009 Congress are Tom Tellez and Pauline Davis-Thompson.

The provisional itinerary has Mr Tellez offering a Sprints session & Ms Davis-Thompson delivering a session on drills & running the bend.

Scheduled on Saturday, Mr Tellez also is the keynote speaker on Long Term Development.

ON FRIDAY 2nd October a session on SPEEDBALL TRAINING will be offered by Stuart Dempster. I believe Jim Bradley will be in attendance.

I went to the last congress and thought it was very beneficial.

Details at: http://www.atfca.com.au/coachedcongress.ews

Youngy, there will be DVDs available covering the seminars?

Hi Eros,

Not that I’m aware of. I will ask the AT&FCA if they are taping it, if not I might see if I can take my own camera.

I will be taking notes

I spoke to the ATFCA and they are doing a DVD, but which presentations are going to be on I am not sure.

If anybody is going, good luck and enjoy.

Thank you guys!

Forgive me if this was covered already, I didn’t get a chance to read through this entire thread.

What seems interesting to me is the speed ball training used in his program. Would the speed ball be used much like the bench press is used to prolong a strength peak? only that the speed ball is used to prolong a speed peak since this activity lies around the same area as sprinting on the force velocity curve but does not interfere with the legs as much.

Would this method be a better way of preserving speed during an injury? Replacing sprint sessions with speed ball type exercises in order to offer a speed component while injured.

Yes, Syrus, when injured, particularly leg injuries, the speedball can be a very useful part of the rehab as it offers an anaerobic and/or an aerobic component that can assist an athlete to maintain a strong conditioning base. It is the only upper body exercise that is non-resistant and offers a turn-over rate comparable to that when running. Keeping the heart rate at around the 130 to 160bpm for 20 minutes during 6 x 3min routine enables the athlete to return to the track with a solid base to recommence the build up to race pace.

I had an athlete that severely damaged a hamstring in late November 2007. He had to spend some time away from the track and in the interim went on a 6 x 3min round speedball training regime. He was back running flat out by the end of December and ended up running a 200m PB in mid January 2008.

What about complementing voluntary exercise with involuntary exercise, a.k.a. EMS?

It fits in nicely with the concept of limited facilities. You just need a couch or bed at home to work on.

Hi Youngy…how was the conference?reported some notes?