Pushups everyday?

See the attachement for what I think this is the beginners planche variation.

Let’s play Devil’s Advocate shall we!

Two problems with this exercise as it relates to bench press, sprinting, and weighted chipups/pullups.

In regards to bench press, you will notice that in the bold print it states that the planch will fully contract the triceps/chest/delts at (I assume) the same time as the lats/middle-back/lower-back/traps. This will invariably hurt your bench press as well as your bent-over rows and military press b/c these exercises require their antagonists to relax not contract at the same time as the agonists!

In regards to sprinting, same reasoning applies here! You don’t want the quads and hamstrings to contract at the same time! Did anybody see how that hamstring tear came about?

In regards to weighted chinups and lat pullups. Your core is strengthened with these exercises; it also, serves a bigger role in these exercises bc they are not ground based! I bet somebody that does planch pushups could also through a football farther if they had a harness attached to them and were hanging from a tree; however, you take this same guys and see which one can throught the football farther when they are on the ground! :rolleyes:

Also, in the planch the individual muscle groups have recruited more overall muscle fibres (same idea as isometrics) then this does not come as a shock to why these athletes are stronger than people who don’t use isometrics (joint angle strength)! It’s funny how nobody tested the squat in this article or barbell curls or bench press!

This exercises however can be compared to isometrics where in the bench press you can have the chest and lats contract simulateneously. At this bottom position the weight is temporarily motionless and that is where isometric exercises come in! So in conclusion, this exercise might benefit the isometric postion and contribute to some overall strength gain (strengthening one point on the force-velocity curve will strengthen the entire organism); however, one must still work the ecc-con chain in order to have a better neuromuscular coordination pattern!

Now no more playing the Devil’s Advocate.

Paraphrasing Siff in “Supertraining” no muscle action is completely agonist/antagonist/isometric". For example, in sprinting the quads concentrically contract on the drive phase, isometrically contract on the landing phase, eccentrically contract on the landing phase before the amortization phase where the leg does a quarter-squat, and finally isometrically contract once again during the amortization phase! So in this regard one could consider the CNS such a complex system that it incoporate the planch exercise into sprinting! I don’t know what the answer is, although I don’t think doing planch exercises would hurt you if you did other exercises in your vertigal integration periodization scheme, just don’t do these exercises near the competition phase!

So should one include Planch exercises? As Homer Simpson would say, “I don’t know?” :confused:

Good post SVS!!! I think all you said is correct and if you saw me lift on the bench you would know that doing planches did not help my bench :frowning: …but in any case I was just thinking what I might do without lifting for a year and in order to keep myself challenged everyday I would do exercises that are hard to do like the planche, handstand push-ups , pistols, all that junk, I think doing these types of exercises might build or maintain more power than regular push-ups or regular squats, but I do not know that for sure…
Adam C Maybe you could do a routine with bodyweight stuff like one day you do isometrics, next session you do explosive stuff (clap push ups, squat jumps) next session is weird stuff (one arm one leg) rotate the king of bodyweight movement, also if you have bands, do a session with band…not really sure just trying to think up some cool stuff…
PEACE

From another thread,

Also, from thread http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=7083

The only thing I can add to this is that these exercises should be incoporated before an athlete under the age of 17 ever touches a barbell! Then when they do start strength training all of their previous multilateral development will be in place and the athlete can excel farther then had he not done this multilateral work! Perhaps this is why the Russians included gymnastics or rather gymnastic exercises for all their athletes so that all the developmental work was in place before commencing strength training! This is why the Eastern Bloc was so dominating the world of athletics at the time! This I imagine also led to fewer injuries.