Protein Powders/Bars.

The horny goatweed and andropopper idiots? They suck. By the way…why not make your own protein bars from meat…like power jerky or lamb fuel?

Originally posted by OorWullie
Prophet,

Use pure Whey Hydroslate post workouts (only intense workouts, i.e. speed and weights).

Whey Hydroslate? Is this the same as Hydrolyzed Whey?

Prophet,

Just my bad spelling.
a little light reading:
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/puzzle_1.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/puzzle_2.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/recupdate.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/importance.htm

"N4D,

What to you think of protein powders from Max Muscle? any experience with them"

balance:

cant help you with that line of supps, we only get a few of the many products available in the states up here to canada. as a result, i would only be able to read specs from the website and i feel you cant really tell to much from writen material. you need to see, smell, taste and try the product before you can really tell the quality of a product.

What about Myoplex (Low Carb) from EAS?

Thanks again, Wullie! Great stuff! BTW, what is this new wonder drink called(is it Surge?) and also what is the correct ratio of BCAA’s and what are the “essential” amino acids?

Prophet.

Bio-tests recovery drink is called Surge.

I donot think they have every given you the ratio - I believe that is the key to it working so well.

I am a big fan of Srge - its great.

Before I used Surge, I used 2 scoops of designer protein and some glucose. If you want you could add BCAAs and/or glutamine to this.

That’s what I thought he was talking about. Now I’m curious as to how Biotest Surge, Proglycosyn and Go compare. Is there any scientific research on Proglycosyn or Go? More importantly what are peoples personal experience with these products? Effective, non-effective?

Chris,

Honey may not be the best carb postworkout:

http://johnberardi.com/articles/qa/afc/afc_aug172001.htm

My experience with proglycosin has been excellent with a number of top level athletes. It seems to have the fastest uptake- (subjectively). Clemson had it analysed. Clemson? 716?

The Big Three…

From my knowledge, after asking mitochondria, the strongest reaction is the product called proglycosin from SNAC. The Next two products are Surge and GO.

Go has reasearch from Yale (yes they tested the product ) that shows how effective it is. I like it since it is premixed and tastes great. It’s what that athletes prefer, not my research or biochemistry that counts.

Chris,

I was only giving you the option.

If your athletes prefer the honey option, then who am I to tell them to change.

All the nutritionists (Di Pasquale, Berardi, Serrano, etc) all recommend that we eat a certain way and then give you their reasons/research behind their views.

So it is a matter of reading their articles, etc, and then find which one you like and can live with.

Personally, I like DiPasquale writings, but, find it very difficult to put in into practice - I have tried it and it didn’t work well for me. Low carbs during the week, and with soccer practice - not a pretty sight.

However, I like Berardi’s work - it just makes sense to me, and I have found that I can easily implement is recommendations into my lifestyle and it works for me.

Well, since I’ve heard good stuff about all three of these supplements, I will take them all out for a test drive and report my opinions on them based on how they taste, how they make me feel, how effective I feel they are, etc… Just 1 question, should I take these supplements after tempo workouts as well(Berardi indicates yes)? I will start a thread in the training journal area and anyone interested can read what I find. 1st up… Go Energy Recovery Drink! Clemson, I will u2u u the order confirmation soon. I just got the check in the mail from my grandma for graduation, so I now have money to experiment, YEAAA!!

tell grandma the name of the stuff you are buying with her $ and see what she thinks about that…:smiley:
you:hey grandma… i am going to buy surge with your money!
grandma:what in the world is that?
you:s a drink you take to recover?
grandma:o, now what do you need that for? its not those steriod things is it?
you: no grandma its good for you
Grandma: O ok i suppose
Grandpa: leave the boy alone, let him buy what he wants…
:smiley:

just had to add that… serioulsy though how hard is it to explain to older folks why you take the supplements that you take… they always assume you dont need it and always question if its steriods or not. lol.

hehehehe…

Is there a limit to the amount of protein our body can absorb at once? The reason I am asking is because there are various Protein Powders with as high as 65 grams in one serving…

Chris,

Lets just say we agree to disagree - but I do appreciate your comments and view point.

Just because a supplement sells - it doesn’t necessarily mean it actually works. It could just be marketed very very well.

Remember a CEO’s famous words “it felt like deca…” and we all know what happened to the sale of that product.

Regarding DiPasquale’s work - I have the Metabolic diet book - and i couldn’t implement it into my lifestyle.

Like I said, I can put Berardi’s recommendations into practice, and they work for me. (I do not count calories and/or ratios. I just avoid carbs and fats at the same meal. I concentrate in getting my protein, and the carbs/fats fall into place)

Out of curiosity - how do your athletes eat during the day.

prophet,
Why don’t you give proteinfactory recovery drink a try along with all the others? If it gives you the same effect then you could go with that instead of the very expensive drinks.

Insulin spike after tempo? Fat chance. Emphasis on Fat. All three have placement but for me blending is a pain since we travel all the time. Also you don’t have to mix anything at the track…

Taste is king…

The difference between a trainer and a coach is teaching…same with nutritionists. “Eat the colors of a rainbow and less legs the better for meat selections” are easy ways to remember tips on eating. My pro athlete is educated on monitoring GI, but my high school track kids eat cheeseburgers after meets. After watching the distance events in massachusetts…at least they’re eating.

Here in Sweden we got a place called “DOPING JOUREN” ( www.dopingjouren.se ) they are an organisation financed by the Swedish government to protect Swedish citizens from dope (steroids etc.). You can call them and ask them your questions and they really know a lot about dope and sportnutritions. Last time I talked to them on the phone they tried to scare me, they were telling me that they had cases with protein-powders that gave you salmonellae and they have found nutrition containing pro-hormones (and that was famous nutrition producers like Twinlab).

I’m still taking protein-powder: whey-80 (vassle-protein). It works on me. I’m gaining a lot of muscle mass by using it and who knows it is maybe the pro-hormones inside it, which gives me the “gain”.

They also told me that Creatine is really dangerous and it has been forbidden in France. I’m still using Creatine and it gives me better results in the gym and on the 400m competitions, maybe it’s psychological (?). It works on me.