Proper NFL S&C in Action

With all the s&c coach hating that guys on here (for good reason), I thought I’d post up a video I just came across from the Cleveland Browns off-season program.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/multimedia/mediaplayer.php?id=4103

Myslinski(sp?) is the S&C coach there, and I remember hearing somewhere that they had the fewest number of injuries of any NFL team last year. Was wondering what you guys think about the activities shown here, particularly with the athlete at the beginning.

Cleveland Browns had the fewest man games missed, which is different than number of injuries because you can play with an injury (especially in a sport that loves cortisone) and therefore not miss a game. On the other side of the coin, you could be on a good team and be able to rest up when necessary, even if it is a minor injury or issue. Example, the Patriots, I believe, had the MOST man games missed.

I think the first guy is training to be a spectator at the Beijing olympics.

Couple of years ago Myslinski and Buddy Morris were the SC coaches and they had a ton of injuries. Either way they are great coaches, check out their Q&A on elitefts.

My point is in a sport such as football, the majority of injuries are not preventable by having a good off-season program. SC coaches barely have any jurisdiction over the volume of running done during camp (resulting in hamstring pulls) and they sure have little to no ability in preventing broken collar bones, broken fibulas, separated shoulders, high ankle sprains, torn acl’s, torn pecs, etc. Football is one of the most violent sports imaginable, a fact not appreciated unless you are in the trenches. Luck plays a tremendous role in staying healthy when you are colliding into other humans at full speed.

Yes, but alot of the time “resting” players are still dressed and on the active roster. Besides, that situation is pertinent to maybe 4-5 teams over a 2-3 game period? I would still consider least games missed an accomplishment, but I see your point.

ic some good things being done.

I’m just saying you need to put it into perspective and look at (or at least consider) all the situations. One hockey team had 0 man games missed their entire season (dead serious), but they had issues because after the season, guys were literally crippled, needing surgery and the like just to have everyday function. Do that long term, and you’re screwed.

I’m fully aware man. I’m a college football player, and I’m fully aware of how much a role luck and genetics play in injury prevention.

However, it’s no accident when the same teams have the same injuries year after year. Nor is it an accident when guys leave programs faster and stronger than when they came in.

I posted this because we seem to go out of our way to criticize bad training in the NFL/D1, so I thought it’d be nice to point out an example of proper training.

couple questions:

1: what were they testing at the start of the video when the athlete was running down/back with the vest?

2: How do you know they are doing proper training with only a 5min clip? :slight_smile:

You don’t, but if you know anything about Myslinski and the commitment he makes to being a quality coach (such as buying his own Omega Wave), along with the fact he was a 10 year or so vet. of the NFL, I think it’s safe to say he’s taking care of his guys.

I know some things about myslinski, so if blowjoewacko go buy his own omega wave does this make him a quality coach. Being a 10yr vet means jack, there are many wack vets in the nfl just look at the texans.

OmegaWave… obviously the key to success… or monitoring HRV.

SUCH AS buying his own omega wave constitutes ONE example, not THE example.

Considering the average NFL player lasts 3 years or less, being a 10 year veteran of the NFL where the utmost elite athletes of the U.S. are, I’d say it means something. As Charlie and many, many other coaches say, it’s hard to coach something that you have never done. The fact he played in the NFL, and for a long time goes a long way in gaining the player’s that he coaches respect. I don’t know what the hell you are talking about, wack vets in the NFL??? You don’t last in the NFL unless you can play. It’s synonymous with saying a guy who ran around 10 seconds in the 100 meters means jack.

Also, considering everyone over at elitefts holds him in high regard, I’d say that means something. The fact the guy travels to see people such as Zatsiorski, Louie Simmons and Charlie Francis among others, yeah I think the guy knows what he is doing. Can you say other coaches have the same commitment to being a quality coach as he does? Doubtful.

Tom and Allan are personal friends of mine and I have no hesitation in commenting on their work in so far as I would wager that both of them have forgotten more than most physical preparation coaches will ever know.

They both visited Charlie a couple months ago in order to have Charlie take a look at the training and ideas they devised and I’m certain that if Charlie decides to chime in here he will quickly put an end to any thought of Tom and Allan being anything short of exceptional at what they do.

I should also note that Allan is every bit the physio as he is a coach of physical preparation. Combine this with Tom’s collegiate career as a football player and a thrower, then 10+ years in the league, followed by his studies in sport science and you have a 1-2 combo that is likely in a league of their own amongst their NFL peers.

Im gonna end this nonsense now, who said anything about them not being top notch strength coaches, at the sametime they arent the only top notch nfl strength coaches.

Ok you just lost me, this topic had nothing to do with his playing career etc, im sure most of his athletes could care less because thats how todays athlete are (they dont respect the history of the game). Pro sports is all about the good ole boy club and thats why you have old wack vet coaches that are horrible still training athletes. Your last statement im not even going to comment.

I cannot say that I have personally witnessed him training athletes, but his background as a football player, student of the darkside, and pursuit of multiple degrees in scientific disciplines suggests that he is prepared to a much high degree than most in the industry.

From what I have heard in an interview with Myslinski, I would venture to guess that Charlie’s teachings hold a higher position with him than those of the Darkside. I don’t have the link but I highly recommend listening to the interview if you can find it.

mike clark and tim interview:

http://www.sphour.com/podcasts.htm

I have had the pleasure of meeting with Tom at length on numerous occasions…
Tom might be the smartest strength coach that I have ever come across…I would trust my own child (OK, let’s pretend he makes it to NFL :slight_smile:
with him.
Tom knows his stuff inside and out - and always thinks there is something more out there to learn.
He has helped me many times in the past, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for him.