Prehab exercises

What are some of your prehabilitation exercises that are staples of your program? Things that you think are imparative to what you do as a coach.

I know that using the bands for rotator cuff external/internal rotation are essential. Also I love to use TKE’s for knee stability.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

carson

I tend to have different favorites based upon what sport I’m working with.
example: rotator cuff stuff is always included with throwing athletes, but maybe not so with basketball players…

gotta run - but I hope this thread takes off…

We used balance work and hops in sand last winter, seemed to help.

we really work on hamstring strengthening to prevent injury. light weight and full range of motion … single leg dead lifts with db’s, ghr, butt-to-ground squats and bw lunges as part of warm-up. i consider this a type of prehab but vern gambetta would chew us all out for mentioning the word at all.

What about for shin splint prevention?

BTW, Charlie may chew you out for mentioning Vern Gambetta at all. :smiley:

That’s ok. Hell, if Sarah Palin can be an “expert”, why can’t he??
(Of course, if things go badly on Thurs Night’s Debate, maybe Vern could apply… never mind!)

I have heard the guys name, but really know nothing about him.
from his web site.
Track & Field:
Specializes in Coaching Multi-Events, Decathlon and Heptathlon. Consultant coach for Nike Oregon Project. Edited Track Technique, the technical journal of USA Track & Field. Associate editor of the IAAF technical journal, New Studies in Athletic. Co-founder of USA Track & Field coaching education program

Does the guy now know his stuff, or is it just he claim credit when credit is not due ect? Or what?

Yes, but if we came up with some exercise for him to prevent him from becoming a retard, we could then refer to him as a pretard.

hey carson,

the prehab stuff that I do depends on the sport- but my staples with all is a ton of glute, glute med activation and prone Y T Ws or flying buchbergers to engage the lower traps.

off season I like my athletes to lift heavy and throw in some postural work while they are away (kinda) form their “sport”. hope that helps some, this is great thread, im looking fwd to see what posts come out of this.

Some staples in my program are definatly glute med/tfl work, rotator cuff and strengthening the feet I found helped out a lot.

I dont use bands as they offer a ascending strength curve (doesn’t match a muscles strength curve) and always perform a structural balance assessment and go from the results. But often find VMO, 1-2 heads of the hamstrings, external rotators and scapular retractors are some of the imbalances.

i agree with the strength curve point and how the bands are resisting at differerent tensions, but what i think it really comes down to is the accomodation principal and gradual rotation of exercises to develop a new stimuli into the specific movement pattern or certain emphasis on musculature.

does anyone really think that TKE’s are particularly functional to any kind of movement?:confused:

Yes, for pole vault. :smiley: I’ve been throwing them in with some DROM stretching and my hip hasn’t flared up for a long time.

Has anyone heard of/bought Magnificent Mobility by Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson? It’s been recommended to me by a few people in the last week.

Strength or flexibility? I have to spend a lot of time stretching and releasing these muscles as they affect my hams.

Yes, for pole vault

Sorry probably being really dense, but why specifically for pole vault???

Just another variation of the rocks (short, long, straight, etc.) to simulate the rock back movement in pole vault. They are far easier than the rest but it’s good to get the work in.

Sorta looks like this, :smiley:
http://www.iaaf.org/mm/photo/competitions/other/34047_w400xh600.jpg