Prediction: WC 100

Chambers to win if there’s a headwind, Montgomery with a tail wind. You heard it here first.

1. Dwain Chambers
  2. Bernard Williams. (is he going to the championships?/ if no, then T-mont or Mo as n.o 3, and the other U.S guy as n.o 7)
  3. Tim Montgommery
  4. Mo Green
  5. The Commonwealth champ. (Kim collins?)
  6. The Nigerian guy.(Aliu?)
  7. Pat Johnson
  8. The other guy.
  1. I think that if Dwain gets over the cramping nightmare of the commonwealths and 99 world champs then he is going to fly like a juggernuat that can’t slow down over the second 50m.

2. Is Bernard competing?

3. Tim has not raced much this year and it’s hard to tell. Want him to do well, but he’s had a lot to contend with. Losing his coach, then being in the wilderness for a few months without a coach, then getting a new one that’ll probably take 6 months for their training phillosophy to take impact. Who knows.

4. Mo Green.
    “never write of the champ.” “every dog has it’s day.”
    I’ll take the second.

5. The quite man of the track. He aint talking smack and theirs a chance he could turn out to be the Donovan bailey of the race, but there’s to many other big guns waiting for their time also.

6. he’ll be in the running.

7. Haven’t seen him run yet.

8. I garuntee you that the “other guy” will come 8th.

Montgomery will win on pure talent ,and ofcourse Greene will rise to the occasion.

Predictions should have some basis on facts (training plan, competition schedules, commitments, injuries, etc)- which we don’t really have. Remember how everyone wrote off Dwain a month ago?

I’m not sure if dwain will win. I think it has a lot to do with what the winning time will be. He’d have to pr by quite a lot to win I think.

The winning time will be fast, but as for dwain having to run a pr to win, I’m not so sure. I certainly think that dwain will be in the medals, but as for which colour i’m don’t know.
Maybe after the london grand prix in 2 weeks, we’ll have a better idea as to where everyone is…

its an open field which will cause a major upset.i don’t think TM/DC will deliever the goods,i recon the likes of Kim Collins has an excellent chance

Pat Johnson to come in top 3. He is the aussie (and yes I am biased) but he has run a sub 10 this year and has run a lot of 200’s so his endurance to run the rounds will be good. If he can relax and deal with the pressure I reckon he will be top 3. Who knows about greene (never write him off) and montgomery (who hasnt raced much). Kim Collins is running better each year and capel may even lose his ego and get a better start … Via patriotism I will vote for PJ though … :slight_smile:

Charlie, not everyone wrote Chambers off a month ago.

For instance, I wrote on June 29 "Chambers appears to now be hitting top form having run 10.15 into a strong headwind although I do not have the wind reading.

Even in his defeat by Lewis-Francis last week, his finish appears to be much better than in previous years. If he keeps getting sharper, he may well be on the way to better things as he has predicted".

However, as Charlie indicates, it is difficult to know who will win given an athlete will (or should) peak for the WCs with every other race part of the build-up as part of training.

Nevertheless, for fun, I will nominate Greene given his record to win the WCs with Chambers and Montgomery the dangers, although there are 4-5 genuine chances.

I think all you people better forget about the past, am talking about last year. We all know Maurice Greene is the greatest 100m sprinter of all time. And this year will test his greatness.

But this season there ahas not been any consistant performmers. If you look at it, Bernard Williams and Deji Alui and Dwain Chambers could all become world champion. But there is aleast 5others who could take the gold as well. Maurice Greene and Tim Montgomerry are in that group.

I don’t think there are any favourites, it is wide open. When the final comes i guess that 6 people will have a real chance of becoming world champion.

I think all you people better forget about the past, am talking about last year. We all know Maurice Greene is the greatest 100m sprinter of all time. And this year will test his greatness.

But this season there ahas not been any consistant performmers. If you look at it, Bernard Williams and Deji Alui and Dwain Chambers could all become world champion. But there is aleast 5others who could take the gold as well. Maurice Greene and Tim Montgomerry are in that group.

I don’t think there are any favourites, it is wide open. When the final comes i guess that 6 people will have a real chance of becoming world champion.

This year will NOT test Mo’s greatness. That is already beyond dispute!

Yes i know, but i think if Greene wins the worlds this year it will be his biggest win ever.

Granted Greene has an excellent championship record, but I don’t think it will be his year this year.

Dwain seems to be rounding into form quite nicely at the moment. With Tim being a little rusty, I’ve a feeling he won’t feature as heavily as he would have liked. Patrick Johnson’s seasn has nose dived since he ran his 9.93. Deji Aliu’s putting together a good series of races, but he won’t win, maybe a medal. My outside shout is Kim Collins, he’s not raced much but when he has (except gateshead) he’s featured fairly heavily in the race. Darren Campbell could make the final. Who knows, remember Sydney???

Man when is this race? Look at all the big names. Some tough competitors in their. I think Pat Johnson will rise to the occasion and win.

Terminator, i hope your right ight about pat Johsnon. After all, beign an aussie, it would be great to have a finalist like Naracott in 1983.

I just wonder what happended with his 10.4 so close to the WCs.

In an interview two nights ago, he said he was looking forward to the race because this was the first time this year he had tapered.

Well he said the same thing several years ago after running well, and steadily went backwards. I just hope that his coach knows what an effective taper is given that he ran around 10.00 twice a couple of months ago.

I heard a great analolgy for whats happening to Patrick the the other day:

You can’t taper a matchstick.

When Pat’s been quoted as saying he’s still in hard work, still training a base, hasn’t tapered off etc. he still isn’t working as hard as most sprinters do in season. Personally I can’t think of anyone who can run 9.93 whilst in “Base” work.

So whats happened is he hasn’t filled his tank up enough, reved the crap out of his engine early and is now waiting by the side of the road with his thumb stuck out.

Besides, I’ve heard him say “This is the first time I’ve tapered” on at least 4 occasions this year.

Dazed,

The sad thing is that if he had trained the same way he did leading up to his 9.93, and 10.04 now, he would indeed be in a position to perhaps win a medal.

I hope he gets it right because anyone who runs around 10.00 on two occastions deserves to make a WC final.

Over the past many years of sprinting, can people recall occasions where sprinters would have a poor leadup timewise to a WC or OG and then run much better than their times indicate. Most often times leading up indicate how they will run, but I would like to know about the ones who surprised the odds, and although PJ has run sub 10, 3 months ago, he is probably, like tim montgomery and MG, that running a sub 10 now would be quite surprising …

Originally posted by Dazed
So whats happened is he hasn’t filled his tank up enough, reved the crap out of his engine early and is now waiting by the side of the road with his thumb stuck out.

Dazed, do you think this may have happened to the entire Australian sprint team this year? Have they all got their thumb out at the moment? Maybe the camp is not such a good idea?