Powerclean, Squat, Deadlift

Alright I am in the offseason and am just lifting right now, no running, no other stuff, just lifting to get bigger and stronger. Now I would like to implement deadlifts into my program. right now I go lift 4 days a week, 2 days upper and 2 days lower. Now since Deadlifts are a lowerbody exercise, would it be ideal to put them in the lowerbody area even though I am doing cleans and Squats? My cleans are of medium intensity (around 80%) and my squat workouts are of the same intensity (i go from one day doing 4 working sets working up to around 3-5 max reps, and the other day is a repetition day). If it wouldn’t be ideal, would it be OK to put them in my upperbody routine?

I have a journal in the training journal section of you want to see what I am currently doing.

thoughts?

Some would classify the deadlift as a “whole body” lift. If you subscribe to this view, the lift could be placed on either your upper or lower body day.

fabio,

Be careful with simply adding deadlifts especially if the deadlifts are medium to high intensity. I wouldn’t really recommend squats and deadlifts in the same workout (because the workload would be very high). Maybe you could interchange squats & deadlifts occasionally. I would DEFINATELY NOT recommend doing cleans & squats twice a week then deadlifting on your upper body days.

I will comment on your training journal soon.

fabio,

maybe u should rotate max effort days with deadlifts and dynamic effort days with box squats or vice versu

I second exactly what Mortac has mentioned as deadlifts are said to be the most taxing on the CNS.

Lower Body, high intensity session: Deadlift

Lower Body, low(er) intensity session: Squat

One hip- and one quad-dominant exercise and you should be fine!

Cleans come always first order-wise!

Hope it helps!

Deadlift: Motor Unit Involvement 60-70%

Clean: Motor Unit Involvement 85-90%

Clean and Jerk: Motor Unit Involvement 90-100%

This is covered in the Vancouver Series, as well as a chart in the 2002 Forum Review

Vancouver Series: http://www.charliefrancis.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=25

200 Forum Review : http://www.charliefrancis.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=28

Thats correct. I remember seeing the chart in the forum review. Very good investment for the charts and diagrams alone.
When I was referring to motor activation I was thinking just along the lines of the powerlifts and not Oly lifts.(Squat, Bench, Deadlift)
Also to add to what Herb said according to the chart in the forum review on terms of Motor Unit involvement…
Squat 60-65%
Bench, Incline and Military 35-40%
Seated Rows and Lat Pulldowns 25-30% and Isolated Supp. Lifts 5-20%.

So as Herb mentioned as per the Forum Review
Cleans and Deads are the most demanding so the days you Clean why not squat rather than deadlift. The first pull of the clean is pretty much a deadlift although you would not be using as much weight as if it were a regualr deadlift.

If you deadlift you may want to consider the week after a deload week. As many have stated, they are tough. Sometimes the trap bar version is not as demanding. You may want to throw that in. I am 47 and can’t do deadlifts for more than 2 or 3 weeks in a row. I usually only have athletes do them three weeks in a row if they are young.

I powerlifted for a couple years found out in the first 6 months not to try and pack too many big exercises into a workout week. I found out the hard way that too many high intensity movements are impossible to sustain over a period of weeks and ultimately result in overtraining. I would just advise against trying to pack too much into too short a time frame and maybe alternate weeks with deadlift and squat but keep the powerclean or any combination there of really. Listen to your body if it tells you its had enough.

maybe u should heavy clean and squat on mon, then light hangclean and deadlift on thur along with other aux work like lunges,glutham and calves raises…

my only question would be why would you want to start deadlifting?
To be sure, the Deadlift and Olys are two different animals, but really, you don’t need them both.
You’re a sprinter, not a lifter, and while you need to get strong, never let that eclipse the goal of getting fast.
I have my own personal opinions on what works and what doesn’t, but it doesn’t matter.
What works for you?