Powell Or Gay

I’ve uploaded some better quality clips from the quarterfinals.

http://folk.uio.no/perel/

Powell edges out Gay

From correspondents in Osaka, Japan
August 25, 2007

WORLD record-holder Asafa Powell edged challenger Tyson Gay as their long-awaited 100m battle got under way on Saturday.

The Jamaican timed 10.01sec in the world championships’ second round, outstripping Gay’s 10.06sec with the evening’s quickest time.

Powell described his night’s work, which followed a sluggish 10.34 in the morning heats, as “good”.

“It was as I expected, nothing else. All is going according to my plans,” he said.

But Gay, who has predicted Powell’s 9.77sec record will fall on the lightning Osaka track, said he was affected by Olympic silver medallist Francis Obikwelu’s disqualification in the morning heats.

“Obikwelu getting out because of a false start this morning made me think too much at the start. So this is why I did not get out of the blocks well,” he said.

"I know that if I want to beat Powell in the semi-final or in the final, my start will have to be much better. I will have to make some adjustments.

“The speed’s there if I just execute my start I will be ready for tomorrow.”

Both men are unbeaten and are yet to face each other this year, with Gay the man in form after his season-leading 9.84sec in June.

Powell has been affected by knee tendonitis and a groin injury but bounced back to time 9.90sec last month in Rome, the second best this year.

Agence France-Presse

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22308469-23218,00.html

Nero doesn’t work on my computer

Have you tried viewing them with Quicktime?

Highlight of day 1 with some first round 100m heats.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UL9DSPV6

Highlight of day 2 with the 100m quaterfinals.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=91QF1Q8A

In case some don’t have video access still… No surprise in semis except everyone is over 10sec. Asafa looking the best by far. Gay seemed to run hard with another pedestrian start. Asafa had another great start and shut it down.

asafa must have been telling porky pies. his nose is getting bigger and bigger…

I think Asafa looked a lot more relaxed yesterday. I think maybe he was a bit nervous cause of the false start?

I hope my man can relax and finish it al of with something like 9,7x

Don’t be surprised if someone DOES false start. that’s the problem with the new rule. It allows others to partly neutralize a great start.

we saw some of that tactic in the men’s hurdles this year.

yeah i thought he was a bit nervous because of the start.
but as soon as his big toe touches the track :smiley: game over…

it’s good to see I’m not the only one who hates that rule…

As soon as Asafa’s toe touches the ground :rolleyes: he begins to get blasted by Gay. USA baby! :smiley:

Powell just gave up after Gay passed so Atkins beat him too. Why can’t people just run the damn entire race?

Asafa looked tentative at the start and was only marginally ahead at the start. He didn’t look as fit as Tyson up close. He also committed the cardinal sin- he quit once he was second and ended third- no matter what, you must fight for every place!!

Congratulations To Pj For A Great Coaching Result Under Trying Circumstances With Olusoji Fasuba - 4th In The World Final.

Yes indeed! How anyone gets lane 9 four times in a row is beyond me!

OSAKA, Japan, Aug 26 - Tyson Gay won the 100m world title here today in a time of 9.85 seconds.
He edged Derrick Atkins into second (9.91) and world record holder Asafa Powell in third (9.96).

""I tightened up. It was a missed opportunity. The Olympics will be different,’’ Asafa Powell off a TV interview in the mixed zone just now

I love Asafa but he is full of it. Well done Tyson!

Men’s 100m (wind: -0.5m/s)
Final

1. Tyson Gay (USA) 09.85
  2. Derrick Atkins (BAH) 09.91
  3. Asafa Powell (JAM) 09.96
  4. Olufasuba Olusoji (NGR) 10.07
  5. Churandy Martina (AHO) 10.08
  6. Marlon Devonish (GBR) 10.14
  7. Matic Osovnikar (SLO) 10.23
  8. Marc Burns (TRI) 10.29

wow, I’m stunned! :eek:

does asafa deserve a bit of a reputation as a choker? he’s mucked up in big finals a few times now.

really thought he’d do better than 9.96s…