Powell and Gatlin's Training Methods

Thats false.
That is like telling them they can’t eat red meat.

Creatine isn’t NCAA banned but there has been some discussion on the Supertraining group about how Creatine has been banned in some high schools and some high school state federations I believe! Creatine is great stuff by the way (in moderation) as long as it doesn’t interfere with your sprinting (possible anecdotal cramping and muscle volume issues).

Banned in High schools? Interesting.
Im sure they mean that literally. Like you cannot have it in your possesion. I mean they cant exactly test you for it.

I don’t know why I said banned in entire HS state athletic associations. That is incorrect. But here is one example from the Supertraining thread:

> Just thought many of you might like to know of a place
> where creatine is banned. It is banned from the
> Amphitheater School District in Tucson, Arizona.
> Students caught using on campus are to be treated the
> same as students caught using controlled substances
> (illegal drugs). District administration with input
> from the school nurses and athletic trainers had the
> ban put into place.

LMAO, you mean to tell me they are going to ban kids for having something they can buy at GNC, give me a break. Its very funny.

it is funny. I do know for a fact that as coaches in this state it is deemed unethical to discuss the use of ANY supplement, (no matter how harmful or helpful) w/ athletes.
We can discuss red meat however :stuck_out_tongue:

its not banned but the school cant give it to the athletes.

Anyways…back to the training methods of Gatlin and Powell…lol.

i think the only way is to focus on speed capacity and then train your endurance later on+ as your GPP abilities improove year by year your spec end will also improove.

is there something you would like to share?

Well, I started the thread because I asumed someone would be able to contribute great information. So far, only one person has contributed something worthy. My point with bringing us back to the topic is simple…stick to the topic.

Where would Trevor place the notorious weekly squatting sessions of 4 a week i’ve heard of with this 3 high intensity, 3 low intensity GPP. I thought with Charlie’s 3 high, 3 low setup that they only hit the legs on the 3 high intensity and after the sprinting(speed session).

Maybe Trevor does 2 heavy weight squat sessions at “X” weight and then the other 2 squat sessions are done at say 70-75% weight of “X” weight as recovery sessions the day after the other

Maybe something like this(theoretical):

mon.-accel/speed then later in the day heavy weights (perhaps 500 lbs. squat 3 sets of 5 or something)

tues.-tempo200’s then later in the day lighter weights (perhaps 350 lbs. squat 2 sets of 20 maybe since the weight is 70% of 500)

wed.-accel/speed

thur.-tempo400’s

fri.-accel/speed then later in the day heavy weights (perhaps 500lbs. squat 2 sets of 5 or something)

sat.-tempo300’s then later in the day lighter weights (perhaps 350lbs. squat 2 sets of 20 maybe since the weight is 70% of 500)

any thoughts?
or are these just mythical rumours and innuendo about trevors camp doing 4 squat sessions a week.

or maybe these cats are/were capable of 4X a week heavy weight squats in 3-6 rep range idont know?

where did u hear 4x a week?

someone during the summer on this forum saying that they in person flew down there in person to see the camp doing squat 4x a week and slew of intermediate work or something like that

have to find it

I have heard this as well from somebody that had an athlete who was in TG’s group for a period of time and later was a Sydney gold medalist under the person you are speaking of (not TG). He really did not like what he saw and apparently his athlete improved (judging by the results), but maybe TG got the last word with Gatlin and Crawford…

thats intresting, i would love to see the load, volume, and depth

Not sure % of the load, but the guy said he saw one squatting high 300s to low 400s (like 385-405 or so) for sets of 5 or 6 to a depth at or slightly below parallel. He didn’t say how many times a week of this load or specifics, just that he saw this in particular and that they did in fact squat 4x a week at times.

Below parallel… nice n’ deep… hitting the glutes as much as possible.

This is my coaches view, if you 1/4 squat you don’t hit the glutes very hard compared to the quads. You may as well go abit lighter and get nice and low and get the strength in the glutes… they’re more important for top speed than the quads.

I would agree with you there. I have heard arguments saying that this means you can’t stress the quads as effectively as you are obviously reducing the stimulus on them (lighter weight). I would be inclined to lighter on the squat, and therefore deeper, and concentrate on the technique of pushing through the heels and not the toes to activate the glutes.

at whatimes do they go 4x a week? GPP? SPP? Comp? Start of a big taper?