Powell and Gatlin's Training Methods

True, his methods might shadow Charlie’s, but they are definately not similar…or are they? Truthfully, we can’t say how much they resemble or how much they don’t. Consider that any great coach will take existing training methods and adapt them to both the particular athlete and the particular training focus. Obviously there is a higher emphasis on the 200m with Gat and Shawn.

It is possible that even though Trevor might support and use Charlie’s training as a template, the end result of the entire training program may look very different. That’s the only point I wanted to emphasize. Still researching both guys. I’ll keep you tabbed.

I believe someone asked this recently in another thread but I never saw a response. What has happened to Crawford, injury, what? Not that he is performing poorly but he is not running like he was just two years ago. While Gatlin continues to improve, Crawford appears to be going somewhat in the other direction. Presumably, they are doing very similar if not identical training.

I’ve heard as a general statement that Graham follows CF’s program fairly closely(not identical but very similar) and this is why over the last 3 to 4 years he has had much better results than he had with Marion who seemed to regress every year she was with him.

Last year he was having injury trouble, I forget with what but I do remember him coming dead last in the semis at World Championships with a 10.28 :confused:

Hopefully he can get back to his old self of 2004.

Crawford is having problems with one of his feet. It is a chronic injury in an extremely undesirable location.

Here is the early season program that I was given to by a friend of mine who was invited to train in Trevor’s camp. He was not able to finish the entire program due to unexpected financial issues. On the brighter side of things…its reliable info and can be thoroughly discussed! I will post more details once I am able to piece together all of the information that I have.

Warm up routine
4x100m accelerations with 100m walk
3 x A-skip.
3 x B-skip,
3 x High knees
stretch

Monday/Wednesday/Fridays-
Track work: IN SPIKES-ON GRASS-3 POINT START
4x10m-4x20m-4x30m-4x60m-(walkback recovery)
(5minutes recovery btw sets)
4x60m- 1x600 stride down focus on maintaining technique only 2 minutes
drills:
6x30metres high knees-
2x30meters single leg bounds-
2x30m hurdles jumps-
3 boxjumps-
3x30 medicine ball trunk work

Tuesday
4 x 200m ( 28sec-3minutes recovery)- 8minutes rest- 4x200m (28 sec - 3minutes recovery)

Thursday

4 x 400meters ( 60 sec- 5 minutes recovery)

Saturday

6x300meters ( 42sec-53sec / 90sec recovery)- push ups 2 x 50, abdominals 2 x 50, calf raises
2 x 50, pull ups 4 x 4

so no jog warm up, really easy buil ups and awalk back…
I do not understan 1x600 stride down…
btw thanks vincente…you are a good insideman!

Nice Post Vincente! Looks like a very interesting program. The surprising thing is that to me it looks like this routine could be used for a sprint athlete that does either the 100, 200, or 400m depending on the time of year it was implemented.

Take that same workout and stress faster times for the longer distances and it becomes very effective for 400m guys too. That’s just my opinion. Nonetheless, this gives us a good idea of what kind of template is in use at the camp. I would love see see a comp. week example.

Im not sure about the 600m stride down either. Saturdays strength workout looks weak…lol. Track work looks very solid though.

I think sat w.o.is just a circuit…and we should add weights on the 3 H int days.

Trevor like all professional coaches is in the business of getting results… you arn’t going to copy someone’s training exactly (note he is outside all year around so he is going to change bits because of this) but why would you ignore other people’s methods given that they have been so successful with a number of athletes running at the highest levels?

Gary and the other 400m athletes do a programme that is somewhat different to Gatlin but perhaps only when getting closer to the competative phase?

Things change slightly…but almost everyone does the same workout (men & women).

With some more time, I will be able to get their lifting routines as well. If everything works out, my friend should be rejoining the camp in September.

This is a good question but unfortunately, it occurs very frequently. Many people ignore other’s methods due to stubborness, ignorance, refusal to use someone else’s methods since some want to put their “stamp” on the product-making it, in their minds, their own. Generally, we don’t hear about those who refuse to use the proven methods of others that have gone before them since they are unlikely to achieve any significant degree of success.

Everyone has a quest to contribute to their own success. In other words, “I did it my way”. I can understand that, but we are here to see trends and compare the things that work. Personally, it doesn’t matter to me who came up with the concept, as long as it works.

That being said, the things we know of as working now, probably arent THE ONLY THINGS THAT WORK. Be open to learn, but know it isn’t the last say. That’s my motto. It is important to maintain the element of experimentation in the training program just as much as it is to use things that are known to work. JMHO.

Very true and we sometimes stumble upon the effective methods accidentally.

I agree but at the same time in the commercial world (read pro track) its often easier to make a sequal (or rip off a product + your own branding) than go for something entirely knew. And you know what, there is nothing wrong with it so long as that’s what the market wants :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, it just makes more sense to utilize the experience and knowledge of those who have achieved much success before us and then adjusting the program to fit your specific needs, athlete’s strengths/weaknesses, limitations or advantages such as available resources/facilities. The problem with those who copy programs is they don’t take into account how their specific situation differs from the one they read/hear about.

Good point. Hopefully one benefit of coaching education is to understand and define those variables from the “model” that require specification. Otherwise, disappointment and/or injury may arise as the more prevalent result.

Do I have to fly to jamaica to see these guys train or what…lol.

I’ve heard that powell, after the golden gala in rome on 7/14, will be training in italy in lignano sabbiadoro for a couple of weeks,

he is already training in italy