poliquin

Another point that I remember Poliquin emphasizing at the beginning was the idea that stride frequency cannot be improved much and that the emphasis in training should be on increasing stride length.

Eh! Wrong! Oh, pardon me, did I say that?
(Ben at 10.25 in 1981- 46 strides, Ben at 9.79 in 1988- 46.2 strides)

What would you seek advice from Poliquin for?

While I was actively coaching from 1990-97, I did the whole Jr Elite, Level I, Level II, and Speed Dynamics thing. From 1997 on, I attended many Poliquin seminars, including the sprint/vertical jump seminar. To compare these two periods in my life, in terms of gaining an understanding of the process strength preparation, would be like comparing a Ford Echo to a Ferrari.

For clarity- you mean CP is the Ferrari.

How to properly execute a 600lb squat one hour before my 100m Olympic final…

How to make my arms look all pumped up and ripped for when I pose for the cover of my book.

But seriously, he seems to have a lot of success creating athletes who have a good combination of hypertrophy, strength and explosive power.

Yes, that’s correct.

so mustang, can you contribute abit on the speed verticalleap thing^?always tah 5day split alla around the place?

This is exactly my view on his thoeries.

As you pointed out Charlie, with only 6 weeks to work with someone improve their strength is the fastest way in his opininon to get results fast.

He is vague on speed work itself, didn’t answer any of my queries on the actual sprinting mechanics or speed work specifically only to repsond to me that he does no sprinting with his footballers

One of his colleagues told me since though that they work long to short with any of the T&F athletes.

My “that’s correct” comment was for the earlier Echo/Ferrari post.

Flash provided a pretty good outline and the description strength training for speed development does sound a bit more accurate.

Can you explain what “rest ratio is 1:20-30” means or rephrase it so that i can understand? thx

it means for every hour of work there are 20-30 hours of rest

It’s for the rest intervals used between repetitions. For example, if you run a 6 sec sprint, a work:rest ratio of 1:30 would require a 180 sec rest interval before the next sprint. Charlie would probably recommend a 7-8 min rest.

Not sure i understand, Charlie said his work to rest ratio is 1:175, which would be 6sec sprint and 17min30sec rest. :confused:

What makes me perplexed too is how Poloquin can advocate such short rests and keep his short sprint workout so-called alactate.

35min (35 x 60 = 2100 sec) recovery between 120 and 150. Assuming a 12sec 120, that’s 1:175. the short break sprints as described by CP would become lactic very quickly.

Charlie does the your “golden” ratio apply to both long to short and short to long progression?

No, practical experience shows that ratios rise exponentially but then go back down as you go farther out. “Golden Rules” look great in seminars but don’t hold water in the real world, due to the complex interaction between neural and muscular recoveries, warm-up sustainability, and athlete level.
A few examples (all st start):
60m in 6.2sec with 10min break = 1:97
120m in 12sec with 35min br = 1:175, showing an increase, BUT
300m in 32sec, even with 45min recovery = 1:84.

Would the ratios be be less defined for a lower level athlete since they are not capable of taxing the CNS to the same level as an elite?