POINT of CRITICAL DROP-OFF (Volume)

I’ve seen a lot of training “blocks”/mesocycle (by Poliquin,C,Francis,Bompa,…)and was curious why you suggest a training block/meso with the sets and reps different every week as to doing a certain rep range for 4 weeks then another for 4 weeks(only a example)?

Knowing POINT of CRITICAL DROP-OFF by Poliquin,what’s?
Is differents (this point)for Hypertrophy and for Absolute/Limit Strength?

POINT of CRITICAL DROP-OFF is not by, I repeat, not by Charles Poliquin. He has admitted that he learned this from Charlie. It’s different for hypertrophy training compared with absolute/limit strength training. The main point is that this drop-off point is specific to the individual, so a specific number of sets and reps, or sprints, is optimal.

The main point is that this drop-off point is specific to the individual,…
…Ok but,is greater for Hypertrohy?
Is good ,in average-people, 6-8% for Limit Strength(1-6RM and 3-8 miutes rest-sets) and 10-16% for Hypertrophy(5-12RM)???

I don’t even know that keeping track of the actual % drop is as important as realizing that there is a drop in work performance. Whenever there is a drop in performance, you should stop that lift or sprint. Poliquin’s suggestion is that if you have to lower the load by 5-7% (equivalent to a 2-3 repetition drop in performance), you should stop. I wouldn’t try to overcomplicate this and I hope this advice helps clear things up.

In a recent seminar I attended of Charles’, he mentioned that the critical drop-off for hypertrophy was closer to 20%.

Where can I to read articles on this topic(critical drop-off for hypertrophy /Limit Strength/Power/Sprints…)?

There’s a brief review in Charles’ book “Modern Trends in Strength Training: Vol. 1 Sets & Reps”. This is definetly a must have book.

Page???

Page 25-26

it’s a ridiculus question!
what page?
is italian edition the same of american one?
why don’t but the book instead of asking questions over questions?

i.e. there isn’t a single point of critical drop off but different, for different purposes

Are we really sure drop off’s are what we’re all looking for ,at least when the target is increasing performance?

It’s not that that’s what you’re looking for, so much as you’re trying to maintain quality. Charlie’s point here was to stop the athlete if quality was lost, whether that was because of heavy foot strikes or something else.

I agree with speedkills

“I don’t even know that keeping track of the actual % drop is as important as realizing that there is a drop in work performance. Whenever there is a drop in performance, you should stop that lift or sprint.”

To me it’s all about knowing when to stop. I’m a mid-distance runner. It’s much easier to recognize when it’s time to stop a workout short while doing 200 or 300m reps, than a sprinter doing acceleration or MaxV work. A drop off in performance is all you can really go by, or a good coach can tell by looking at the athlete (or hearing :slight_smile: )

yes, it is a question of quality
Of course, one thing is strenght training, other one is hypertrofy training
Ad again, one thing is a strenght training for a PLer, other one is for a sprinter
And of course, in sprinting we have to see other aspects (i.e, i wouldn’t wait for a critical drop off before finish the training and of course, i would finish my training if the quality of the sprint dropped)

with
i.e. there isn’t a single point of critical drop off but different, for different purposes

i wanted to say that

yes, it is a question of quality (a measure of quality for quantity)
Of course, one thing is strenght training, other one is hypertrofy training
Ad again, one thing is a strenght training for a PLer, other one is for a sprinter
And of course, in sprinting we have to see other aspects (i.e, i wouldn’t wait for a critical drop off before finish the training and of course, i would finish my training if the quality of the sprint dropped)

You’re right on the money. The point of critical drop-off is to follow the planned workload but to stop if you can’t maintain performance. It is not to just run and run until your performance drops.

I think the biggest thing as far a Dropoff is concerned is the frequency of training. You CAN NOT place a specific percentage on any type of training unless you are taking into account when your next training session will take place.

Any further clarification on this Pakewi?

Thanks!

the problem is that during training performance can drop
Yes, if i think of pure sprint i don’t want any dropping in performance
But, if i run rps over 200 m (@ 85-90%) with little recovery, performance will drop!

I am also curious about this question.-S