Pmoax's 400/800 Training

First of all thanks for your reply I love feeback. It is the 5 week of gpp style training but my program as a whole will begin this next week. The 2X10X100m and 12X200 are more of extensive tempo than workouts, or at least they should be. The 400m hills and 6X800m are supposed to be the two workouts of the week and the hurdles is kinda like rhythm tempo (if that makes sense). The problem I run into is that I am not a dedicated 400m runner but I am not a dedicated 800m runner either. A lot of the college coaches I have been in contact with say that most scholarship money is decided by March (end of indoor) so I need to have some speed at that point. So I was thinking have GPP progress to SPP for indoor. After indoor ends go back to 6 weeks of gpp and 4 more weeks of spp into cp with the goal of my final peak around USATF Junior Nats and Nike Outdoor Nationals, I will probably do the 800m at one of these and the 400m at the other.
Do you have any ideas for adding to my aerobic base? I am capable of going out for a 10 mile run at moments notice but I do not think that would benifit me, maybe on my deload week every 4 weeks I will include a tempo read (LT) run.

Your in a tough spot. I have coached alot of 400/800 people. Your training is pretty close to what I have given out. It can work,you just have to pay real good attention to your body. If you start to feel tired or lethargic in WO’s you need to tone it down.

The thing I noticed through the years is that to much anaerobic work can really make the athlete stale later in the year.

I would take out some of your tempo 200’s or your other track tempo w/o and use a 3 mile tempo run with a 2 mile warm up and cool down or you can run 2x2mile tempos with a 5-7 min break inbetween.

Try and use these up until early Feb. Also keep a long run in once a week. Looking at your next phase I don’t see a day of rest. Do you plan on training every day?

Don’t chase scholarship money. Find a school that fits your needs. If you put pressure on yourself to hit certain times for the benefit of a college coach you may be setting your self up for a letdown. You have run very well already,you seem to be a good worker the times will drop

Sunday 10/19
Afternoon:
10km Run

Late Afternoon:
30 Minute Sauna

Volume Day/Week:10km/10km

Monday 10/20
Afternoon:
Dynamic Warm Up
15 Med Ball Throws (2kg lol)
3X5 Vertimax with 4 cords @4:4
3X3 Hang Snatch @30kg
2X6 One Arm Snatch @22.5kg
4X8 Squats @70kg
2X10 RDL’s @40kg
2X12 GHR
2X12 Hanging Leg Raise
2X12 Reverse Crunch
2X12 Bicicles

Late Afternoon:
15 Minutes Russian Stim @level 19, 1 second ramp up time, 10 seconds on/50 seconds off,

Night:
6km Run

Volume Day/Week: 7km/17km

jerry, I like what your saying a lot. I am going to start mixing in some more LT (what distance runners call tempo) runs next 4 week block. And for now I have switched monday’s tempo with wednesdays continuous pace run. The only day I am on the track is thursday for hurdles, everything else is on grass, mulch, or trails. I like at least running a little every day just because of sorta a compulsive nature, do you think I should really take one off? I can but I don’t really want too :rolleyes: My only issue with the times is that the schools I am looking at say I can run there and my academics are straight, but for my rents to be able to send me to some of these I need a little help. I am making my first official to Wisconsin in November so I might get a bit more insight. I do get your point and I do have to be carefull you are right.

Wish me luck tomorrow bro. Since I wont be able to run in the championships on Saturday because I am taking college courses, I am going to do a 5K race tomorrow to show my coach what I am about. He doesn’t think I have improved.

Critique my game plan bro:

1st lap: Get it going. Take it slow. See where I stand in the pack. 13 minutes.
2nd lap: Good to go. Switch gears and cross some idiots and hit the WAMMMM. 11 minutes.

TOTAL: 24 minutes

What do you think? Good plan or no?

Your doing the right thing by staying on grass or trails. It is not imperative that you take 1 day off a week. I would try and at least take a rest day every 10-14 days.
You are still young and the season is long. You also appear to be doing more work than in the past. Just use caution and listen to your body. Some of my athletes will do a pool/bike workout after a tough day. This acts as a rest and recovery day but they still feel like they are doing something.

Tuesday 10/21
Afternoon:
Dynamic Warm Up
12X400m hills @~82 with 3 minute jogging recovery
800m Cool Down
notes: felt good, really tried to feel the hill naturally correct my stride

Volume Day/Week: 11km/28km

jerry, thanks for your continued response. Yea I think I might just have to take a pool day every once in a while, I have a second job as a lifeguard so I can make that happen, actually as I am typing this you gave me the idea to make kinda a ext tempo in the pool as monday’s second workout. Would I do 30 seconds on/90 seconds off? Thanks once again for your advice.

I like to keep the rest periods short in the pool. If your looking for a tempo session, try 10x2min with 1 min rest btwn each rep. Then we go 10x1min with a 30 sec rest btwn reps. Then 10x 30 sec with 15 sec rest btwn reps. If you are a beginner just try something you can handle. What I posted is for a person who has done pool running before.

Wednesday 10/22
Afternoon:
2hr of Handball Practice

Night:
30 Minute sauna

Volume Day/Week:3km/31km

Thanks for the ideas, I will probably try it out next monday. Did you athletes wear any sort of floatation or did they just run?

Usually they wear agua joggers. After awhile when they become more proficiant they may just go without. If you want a tougher WO you can tie one end of some surgical tubing to the back of your aqua jogger and tie the other end off to some stationary part of the pool like part of the diving board or a ladder. This gives you added resistance.

Thursday 10/23
Afternoon:
800m Warm Up
Dynamic Drills
Worked on finding rhythm over hurdles at race distance between them did the 2 hurdles.

Volume Day/Week: 2km/33km

Friday 10/24
Afternoon:
Dynamic Warm Up
Agility Ladder Drills
2X6 Side To Side Hops over 1meter barrier
3X5 Vertimax wiht 4 cords at 4:4
2X3 Snatch @30kg
3X1 Snatch @40kg
4X8 Squat @70kg
2X12 Snatch Grip RDL’s @40kg
2X12 Glute Ham Raise
2X10 Hanging Leg Raise
2X15 Reverse Crunches
2X10 Bicycles

Late Afternoon:
Hamstring Stim- 10/50, 10 minutes, Russian, level 17, .5 sec ramp

Volume Day/Week:1km/34km

Saturday 10/25
Afternoon:
800m Warm Up
Dynamic Drills
6X800m (2:32,2:32,2:35,2:40,2:40,2:39) with 3 minute recovery
notes:felt arlight had to skip hills cause my grandparents were in town, plus I got a nasty blister on my second toe.

Volume Day/Week: 6km/40km

Sunday 10/26
Afternoon:
Dynamic Warm Up
4X200 @26 with 2 minute recovery
notes: was going to do six but it was too much for me today. I think I’m going to dial it down. 8X200m @27 with 2 minute recovery followed by 2X10X100m @15 on grass next sunday? Felt awesome a couple hours later though :confused:

Volume Day/Week:2km/2km

Monday 10/27
Afternoon:
Dynamic Warm Up
10 Med Ball Tosses for Warm Up
3X5 Vertimax with 4 cords @ 4:4
3X3 Snatch @40kg
4X8 Squats @70kg
2X12 Snatch Grip RDL’s @40kg
2X12 GHR
2X10 Hanging Leg Raise
2X15 Reverse Crunch
2X10 Bicycle

I also did a 300y shuttle with my athletes by 25y incriments
Late Afternoon:
10X 10/50 Russian Stim, .5 sec ramp time, worked up to level 22 by the end

notes: The squats have been going very well in my gpp. Three more weeks then I start 5X5 @80kg the in four more weeks 6X3 @90kg. After that I will re-evaluate squats and set a new progression.

Volume Day/Week: 1.5km/3.5km

Tuesday 10/28
Afternoon:
Dynamic Warm Up
12X400m Hill @82s (there was a mighty wind from the north lol) with 2:30-3:30 minute jog down recovery
400m Cool Down @ End
notes:felt very good and powerfull despite the legs being a bit tired, tomorow is an off day so I will go for a light jog and sauna.

Night:
5 Min Bike Warm Up
5X5 Bench Press @135lbs
5X5 Rows @70lbs
2X8 Incline DB Press @50lbs
2X8 Narrow Grip Pulldowns @100lbs
2X8 Tricep Press Downs @40lbs
2X8 Hammer Curls @50lbs
2X6 Three Way Shoulder @12lbs
2X10 45 Degree Back Extensions

Volume Day/Week:11.5km/15km

Our athletes will run 5x800 r=3, aprox once a month during fall prep

The thing we like to do is have the times descend Last week theWomen ran 2:55,2:50,2:45,2:40,2:35.All women felt strong at the end.

I think it is a bit more productive to feel strong at the end. You look like you may have been fatiqued a bit at the end of your WO. Remember you are still in base building.