plyo work

hey cf im curious did you get into any advance plyo work like depth jumps or drops since your sprint work/strength training was pretty hardcore.

what are your thoughts on complex training? for ex: back squat follow by 3 depth jumps

I was wondering the same thing about plyos, except not about depth jumps as those come later in the program. I more curious about hurdle jumps, straight leg boungs and even regular bounds, are these done regularly or just ounce a week. I was thinking of keeping the volumes low as well, but want to incorporte them.

Also the medball throws stay in the program or are they done for. If they are in the program are they best done on the repeat 60 days and the plyos on top speed days.

Thoughts suggestions

hurdle hops dont take place till phase 2. bounds are ok but ground contact are tooo long. i do str leg bound as warmup drill. med balll work should be done year round right now i do med ball work twice a week on mon and fri for about 30reps, over head, height and pit throw.

oh, ok, i thought that depth jumps came in later and leading to greater height, thats what i got out of the gpp pics anyways. What day or days are you doing plyos?

what other light plyos do you do?
How many of them do you do?

I wouldn’t consider anything I do to be particularly severe in the plyo area because of the amount of speed present and I don’t do it after lifts because you are at your lowest point by then. If you look at plyos in phase one, depending on your level and ability to achieve activation, you could do at least part of the plyo work after the warm-up and right before starts (see the GPP DVD for examples). At that point you might do a few jumps and then a set of starts over 10m for example, then a few more jumps and starts over 20, etc. (Just enough to help with activation)
Remember that the higher the athlete’s level, the higher the plyo stimulus, AND, thus, the longer the activation/stimulation remains- for DAYS in fact- so the stimulus towards the end of the Mon session primes the beginning of the Wed session.
The ability to generate extreme stimulus also creates the very real possibility that doing the plyos before the speed work will leave you depleted and unable to perform optimally in the speed work itself- the opposite of what you’re trying for.

Are stage 1 plyos used as stimulus for the accels to 10m and 20m then stage 2 plyos used after speed work to work as stimulus for the next session. Keeping in mind keeping the volume numbers low in both instances.

i think if the vol is kept low the athlete may be able to get away with during jump or plyos in the weight room btw sets.

Good question. I suppose the answer is yes because if you are good enough to progress to the later plyos it’s prob enough to carry over. If you are a beginner, you’d be more likely to stay with the type of plyos in phase one