Philippines takes stock

Romasanta to endorse super-athletes training

By Gerry Carpio, The Philippine Star

Posted at 11/28/2010 1:24 PM | Updated as of 11/28/2010 1:24 PM

GUANGZHOU – Philippine contingent chef de mission Joey Romasanta said he would recommend to President Aquino the creation of a training camp for “super-elite athletes” from three multi-sports disciplines for high-level competitions like the Asian Games and the Olympic Games.

“Our experience in the Asian Games tells us that we can no longer compete favorably with other countries – even those in Southeast Asia – under the same old-style training programs,” said Romasanta as he assessed the Philippines’ performance in the Asian Games.

“We are now at sixth place even before the 2011 SEA Games in Jakarta has started, “ said Romasanta.

Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore were ranked ahead of the Philippines after the close of the Asiad but said that although it is ahead of Vietnam in the medal tally, the medals the Vietnamese won (33 against the Philippines 16) will be a factor in the gold medal matches in the Indonesian SEA Games.

Romasanta, former director of Project: Gintong Alay, precursor of the Philippine Sports Commission, said the Philippines should now concentrate on elite sports like athletics, shooting and swimming which are good for 120 gold medals.

He said training should be done under the supervision of the Philippine Sports Commission following the deterioration of these sports at the hands of the national sports associations’ leadership.

“There is, of course, the principle of autonomy which requires us to keep our hands off the NSAs, which have been training national athletes,” said Romasanta.

[b]However, he said the system could help the three NSAs concentrate on grassroots development that would broaden the base of athletics, shooting and swimming.

Under the concept, young track and field stars with the greatest potential for a medal in the Asiad will be picked from the development pool.[/b]
Shooting, the most expensive sport, is encouraged to continue its youth development program. The PSC will give special training to those recommended for the elite team by the shooting association.

Romasanta said the swimming association should rethink its “Fil-American” concept of training since it discriminates against local swimmers who want to get a crack at the national team from the grassroots.

Romasanta will submit his Asian Games assessment and recommendations to the POC and PSC, which could use it as basis for the Sports Summit to be held in December.

The summit, which will cover all aspects of the sports program, will be attended by the POC, PSC, NSAs, PBA Party List Mark Sambar, and members of the Senate and Congress committees on sports.

He also batted for a return to the inter-school, inter-district and city competitions leading to the Palarong Pambansa and the strengthening of the physical education curriculum among public schools under the Bureau of Public School Sports (BPSS) to produce a wide base of athletes.

Hmm, I just might get to see this training camp and the athleates. I plan on going to the philippines for a visit, and might even live there.

The Philippines has some very good road and track cyclists but they also need the support to prosper. From what I’m lead to believe, the administration of sports in the Philippines is poor and this is where the athletes get let down. It sounds very familiar to what goes on in some African nations.

The grassroots is a good place to start though.

double post

I lived in the Philippines for a good number of years.

The athletes they have are very promising but are very much underfunded.

I remember some overcrowding issues- some olympic team members would end up sleeping in the bathrooms/ empty halls of the training facilities. There was also the problem of malnourishment. I remember my Judo coach telling me stories of how the Phil. judo team would live off of instant noodles.