Overtraining!!!!

sorry if this is in the wrong forum…but when do u know if your overtraining? man i always wanna work hard, like do alot of basketball drills for like 3 hours then go workout but im always afraid OF ONE THING, overtraining. i hate it, sometimes it holds me back cuz im always scared ill be overtraining. lets say i feel like i can do it, like my body is still into it, would it still be overtraining if ive already done alot that day, man i hate that word. OVERTRAINING! :mad:

yeah i know the feeling, what i CANT differentiate though is CNS fatigue and plain old overtraining:P Or are they interlaced?

This has been discussed before on this forum.
CT has determined that vertical leap will be a good indicator of overreaching and Dan John has offered the tap-tester as an overtraining monitoring tool.

You could do a search in the forums here or tjeck this thread out: http://www.ruggedmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7876
(hope it’s ok to link to another forum).

As far as I understand the first thing to go is coordination and force production. This can be monitored by using the mentioned tools.

thanx alot

What are good indicator/test for CSN and Metabolic training?

The Omega Wave System may be the only non-instinctive way of really figuring this out. But if you’ve been working out for a while you should have figured out how your body reacts to certain things and should be able to make the decision as to whether or not to train.

How does the omega wave system evaluate the CNS?

Do you have 25.000 USD?

There is a system for sympatic o parasimpatic stress with salivar PH.
Or with Heart Beat.

Great deal…it was 40 grand a few years ago. So it bases it of off Saliva?

Vertical jump
Mood profile
Hand grip dynamometer
Technique
Sleep
Quality of sleep
Eye blink rate
Coordination tasks (computer game)
HR

Clem, i’ve read this on an alternative sport medicine book (Philip Maffettone).
If Salivar PH is under 7,6 there is a sympatic stress, over 7,6 parasympatic stress.
There is a correlation between salivar peptid and neural stress.
I’ve non tested it, do you have any feedback/idea/experience?

With Applied Kinesiology you can test with specific acu-screen-point neural stress and other systemic stress (hormonal, digestive…).
I’ve tried it and work very well (general stress, not specific).

The following information is adapted from the US patent taken out to protect the system:

Omega brain waves and omega brain wave potential (a measure of the omega brain wave magnitude) have been shown to have a repationship to the performance of the CNS. Omega wave generates information regarding the state of the CNS based on measured base omega potential.

There is also a stimulus response test that measures that can be used to monitor the functional state of the CNS and reaction capabilites. This is assessed through the generation of a number of sounds that the user has to respond to.

My comment:

The strength of the OW system is that it has an inbuilt “expert system” that pieces together the information from the tests to give a big picture of what is happening. The results are therefore based on a number of indicators combined together to help minimise error.

The inbuilt “expert system” which is an exclusive feature of the OW still does not substitute the knowledge and experience collected the hard way through the extensive and intensive use of the technology:the only way you can get the most out of a very interesting and complex piece of equipment.

A note from my experience using the technology: true unique value of the System resides in the chance to combine data and variables provided by different assessments of different biological systems and interpretate them in their interplay.

An example regarding CNS monitoring:when I first started using the OW I concentrated on monitoring CNS through the Omega brain waves potential assessment provided,trying to correlate the results with training and performance…extremely interesting,but only to come to the conclusion that what people generally refer to as “CNS Fatigue” or “CNS impact” is more a combination of ANS (Autonomic Nervous System) + CNS rather than Central Nervous System based per se.
I would say a lot of information shared on this site too hold true only if considered in this light !

" Complementary Sport Medicine",Philip Maffeton. 1999 Human Kinetics

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0880118695/qid=1121848088/sr=1-23/ref=sr_1_0_23/026-1770804-7718067

So I sprint a guy on Monday and on Wednesday morning I get evaluated with the OWS and the computer voice will say : “Your CNS is 90% recharged?”

Can someone clarify the output and give a case study on it?

So would you say that it is very hard for a consultant (who hasn’t trained the athletes over time) to come in using OW and shed light on the situation?

Not at all,once you have gathered some experience using it and playing with the variables provided!
Just don’t assume anything,read and trust the data provided carefully-the System doesn’t lie- but always make an effort to place them in the big picture.
The technology sheds some light on the situation per se.Try to understand with an open mind and make no guesses.

I will post here a screenshot of the Omega potential (CNS)assessment soon.
I think similar screenshots of all the assessments are available at their site.

www.omegawavesport.com

Is this what you would like to know or something else C.?

I would be really intested in any good resolution screen shots i can actually read - e.g. about 1024x768. I have some from Henk Kr at the UKSCA conference but they are so small I can’t see what they show.

Perhaps ones of a before and after a speed session? Just to see how the parameters change?

Cheers,

TC