over training

What do you recommend to help an athlete who has come from a program of over training?

I was thinking lots of tempo and half the planned workouts, and if this correct how long?

I just recently acquired three new athletes that were doing up to 900m of volume a day three times a week.

:frowning:

Charlie,

This is what the athletes have been doing
OFF Day workouts are Tempo maximum 3000m at 60% on their own

Day one Speed
Conitnous warm -up
10 mins skipping - with drills
speed ladder
2-3 x 3 step
2-3 x 2 step
8-10 times race model at 40m
32 x 3 x 60-80
circuit
running a’s 4-8 x 40m

Day 2 Speed Endurance
continous warm up
10 mins skipping - drills
hurdle and mini hurdle drills
2-3 x 3 step
2-3 x 2 step
8-10 x race model 40 m
2-3 x 120 -150
circuit
4-8 x 40 running A’s 20m Lung 20m

Day 3
Continous Warm up
Lots of Drills never over 20 m
2-3 x 3 step
2-3 x 2 step
Circuits
8 - 10 race model 60m
Practice time decision if speed or speed endurance
4-8 running A’s 40m

Charlie Please let me know what is the next step, right now we are ending our indoor season and have a short month or so before outdoor begins. You remember the lovely spring in Canada

Probably do not remember but I met you in Montreal in 1988 Olympic Trials, from my mentor Brent McFarlane, in the lovely hospitality suite. You gotta love free beer.

:help:

Sorry, still need more details to comment on the total workload- other than to say I’ve always hated the speed ladder, as it moves the sprint process from the hind-brain, which is fast, to the fore-brain, which is slow. What do the circuits consist of? Also there is an incredible amount of work being done before the sprint- work, which is the key componant. Key componants in training, such as speed work, should always occur first after the warm-up, when abilities and concentration are the highest.

I’d need to see the details of the previous program to comment. Though lowering intensity for a period is usually the cure.