outdoor goals

i was a freshman competing at the simplot games the other weekend. i ran a 24.88 FAT 200 in prelims with flats and no blocks on a banked track. the race was pretty technically sound as far as any high school freshman goes, i would post video, but the girl running the camera did a horrible job. What do you think is a reasonable goal for the outdoor season, spikes and blocks?

Originally posted by misguided
We have to push ourselves for RMs to get an A, so it’s fairly high intensity. After school i have plyometrics, with usually between 25-45 depth jumps. I stretch before and after every activity, I take a contrast shower after p.e., and i do an ice massage on my lower legs after plyometrics, since they get sore.

Firstly, I can’t understand how any school could grade someone purely on their physical performance rather than their understanding of the concepts taught (however flawed they may be).

Secondly, if you’re legs are that sore after any exercise you either have an existing problem with your legs, or that exercise is causing that problem (more than likely in this instance). Either way, you should avoid it and “if pain persists…”

I just went to a six hour seminar on BFS because my high school is implementing it next year. I’m really depressed right now. I think I’m going to only do Spring track and just train on my own in Winter next year.

Quote of the day:
“You don’t wear a hat when you step in the strength room…I don’t have anything against hats, though. When I do my speed work I always have a huge hat on.”
This was from the guy giving the clinic.

BFS stands for “Bigger, Faster, Stronger.” It is a structured lifting program that seems to be quite popular in high schools.

The “25 - 45 depth jumps” after the mile run and weight training seems like trouble waiting to happen.

xlr8

How old are you? Why are you running a mile, “to exhaust the legs”? What is BFS? Sounds like BFD to me! Anyone else have concerns about a program that causes this kind of soreness at this age?

ok on mondays i have p.e., and usually we run the mile or something else that exhausts my legs. In weight training i do bench, incline, curls, reps/sets dependant on week. We have to push ourselves for RMs to get an A, so it’s fairly high intensity. After school i have plyometrics, with usually between 25-45 depth jumps. I stretch before and after every activity, I take a contrast shower after p.e., and i do an ice massage on my lower legs after plyometrics, since they get sore.

Tuesday i don’t have p.e. In weight training i have box squats, power cleans, and Straight leg dead lifts. After school, we do some light build ups and either work on starts or triple jump technique, and i work on hitch kick technique, low intensity. i stretch, of course, but i don’t do contrast showers or ice.

Wednesday I have p.e. again, usually lower intensity than monday. contrast shower afterwards. In weight training, i have towel bench, reverse lat pulls, and military press. After school, i have plyometrics, pretty much like monday. Of course, stretching again, and i do an ice massage again.

Thursday, no p.e. Weight training I do Squats, hang cleans, and glute and ham developer. i have nothing else that day

Friday, p.e. is normally some game like basketball. weight training is usually also that, unless it’s 5-4-3-2-1+, our 1RM has to be recorded for school, and it’s a makeup day. that’s all i do then, too.

Saturday and Sunday are free days, I usually go snowboarding. Scholastic track starts on March 10, so after that my schedule will change to track practices every day after school, and i will probably lower my intensity on the lifts and sacrifice my grade for performance. i hope that clears up what you asked.

my coach and i talked, and he says he wouldn’t be surprised to see me go under 24 the first meet of the year. i have been doing plyometrics twice a week all winter and lifting 5 days a week, using the BFS system. is this realistic?

well technically four to five times a week. i am not sure if you are familiar with the bigger faster stronger system, which runs in weekly cycles of 3x3, 5x5, 5-4-3-2-1+, and 10-8-6 for reps. there is a schedule for what lifts are done on what days. since it is a class, we are separated into groups. my group’s schedule goes like this:
Monday:
Bench, Inlince Bench, Curls
Tuesday:
Box Squats, Power Cleans, Straight leg dead-lifts
Wednesday:
Towel Bench, Reverse Lats, Military
Thursday:
Squats, Hang Cleans, Glute and Ham developer
Friday is usually a make up day or back to Monday’s workout plan. On each of these days, I do other appropriate auxillary lifts, (e.g., upright rows on Monday). Although I think I work too much, I have no choice, since it’s a class. I also do plyometrics on Mondays and Wednesdays, and work on long jump technique on tuesdays (i’m doing the hitch kick for the first time this season.)

25-46 depth jumps just by itself is asking for trouble. In addition, you’re hitting the lower body with some type of high intensity work 4 days in a row. Plus the CNS in general is getting wacked 4-5 days in a row. Overall, I’d say this program is a disaster, especially for a high school kid.

The problem is, we can give all the great advice in the world to the kids that log onto the forum, but it won’t do any good if they don’t control their own training. To all the high school kids out there reading this forum, try to get your coaches to log on and ask questions.

45 inch depth jumps for kids! Just dandy! I guess they target the kiddie audience because they’re gullible enough to listen to this crap. You could say BFS is an accident waiting to happen except that an accident isn’t deliberate. You need’nt continue to be “misguided”. When you run your next mile, make sure it’s in the opposite direction!!!

Anyone else wonder why- if you want to be a sprinter- you wouldn’t sprint???

Charlie, nobody has time to sprint because they’re too busy doing “sport specific” training for sprinting.

Do you have to sprint to become a sprinter?

Damn. I was hoping if I did 1 legged squats on a fitball and at the same time perform a press behind the neck jump off the fitball and jump back on another fitball with the opposite leg.

Check out the thread about Gerrard Mach’s book. Simple , to the point, and still meaningful more than 30 years later. Someone should send a copy to the BFS crowd- of course they’re too busy watching Tony Robbins tapes and reading the financial times.

Originally posted by Flash
The problem is, we can give all the great advice in the world to the kids that log onto the forum, but it won’t do any good if they don’t control their own training. To all the high school kids out there reading this forum, try to get your coaches to log on and ask questions.

Exactly.

hahahahahahaha

re: BFS my school does it too. it’s pretty stupid, after track practice we are supposed to go lift like 8 exercisesthat are all high intensity( every kind of power clean/snatch, squat, bench ect.) Misguided, just go lift on your own, if you can.

quote:

Originally posted by Flash

Exactly.

yes, exactly. i have no choice in any of this. it’s not my choice to run the mile. talk to my p.e. teacher. and weightlifting, i take it as a class. so i have to do it every day. and yes, it is a horrible grading system. our teacher knows nothing at all about lifting, and has us stretch, and then run a warm up. i’ll see if my track coach will go on this message board, but he isn’t really the problem. if i was just doing plyometrics and occaisional lifting, i think i would be alright. but instead i have to run, and lift, and run again. i really don’t know what to do. oh, and to clarify on depth jumps charlie, we don’t do 45 in. jumps, that is the most jumps we have ever done in a session, off 18-36 in boxes. is there any way i can avoid training myself to failure?

Make friends with your counselor! I’m assuming you’re at high school and can choose your own classes, so become friends with your counselor so that you can switch in and out of classes on a whim with no hassle. That’s what I do!:smiley:

I went to the local HS and started to talk to one of the kids. He told me the lacrosse and foot ball teams use BFS. Here is a little sample from the website. Does anyone know how effective this program is?

EXAMPLE OF A TOTAL PROGRAM WORK OUT WEEK:

MONDAY

Box Squat or Squat Variation, Towel Bench or Bench Variation, Auxiliary Lifts, Flexibility, Agility

WEDNESDAY

Power Clean or Quick Lifts, Trap Bar Dead Lift, or Straight Leg
D. Lift, Aux. Lifts, Flexibility, Agility
FRIDAY

Parallel Squat, Bench Press, Auxiliary Lifts, Flexibility, Agility

TUESDAY

Sprint Work
Plyometrics
Flexibility
Agility
Sport Technique
THURSDAY

Sprint Work
Plyometrics
Flexibility
Agility
Sport Technique

The Sets & Reps for each workout are a follows:

Week One: 3 x 3 (Three sets of three reps)
Week Two: 5 x 5 (Five sets of Five reps)
Week Three: 5-4-3-2-1 (One Set of Five reps, Four reps, etc.)
Week Four: 10-8-6 or 4-4-2 (One Set of Ten reps, Eight reps, etc.)
Week Five: Start over at week one

Weight training every single day and cold stretches? Nice! :rolleyes: Throw in some rounded-back deadlifts, and behind the neck presses and you’re all set!

Your track coach doesn’t need to come to this message board, he needs to quit his job and go work at Wendy’s.