One legged squats(without weight)

My squad, that I train with, does them. I don’t. But they only do them once a week. We are in oru AA or GPP at the moment.

Clemson I can adapt to your avatar :smiley:

Clemson,
Anatomical Adaptation/you body to adapt to the training… What i am talking about mainly is stuctual adaptation. Getting you joints, connective tissue and muscle ready for the real work that follows.
“Remember Form dictates function.”
Is this post said correctly?

IhI, you need to structure your training so that you do benefit from your weights, plyos and sprinting. There is plenty of info on this topic if you read through the forums. I feel the best plyos to do are alternate leg bounding, and double leg bounding over hurdles etc…both effective and safe so long as you don’t over do them.

I find the AA/GPP differences between weightlifters and track and field athletes interesting. I am not 100% sure about this but I think generally weightlifters do one GPP - when they begin weightlifting (in their teens or younger) and then once they get into using high intensities they never go back to such a phase. Is the annual GPP still a tradition kept from the ‘western periodisation’ trend? DW can you help me out here about weightlifters & GPP?

i know people who can squat 2x’s their bodyweight and have a hard time doing 1 legged squats. this may be because they are heavier (football).

I have seen a kid who squatted 540 had a 42 inch vertical…not even be able to do single leg bounds?

Originally posted by Timothy Lane
I have seen a kid who squatted 540 had a 42 inch vertical…not even be able to do single leg bounds?

Originally posted by ESPN3
i know people who can squat 2x’s their bodyweight and have a hard time doing 1 legged squats. this may be because they are heavier (football).

You can

1. Weight train to get a heavy weight up at any cost
    or
  2. You can weight train to help your sprinting.

The former will have a negative impact on your recruitment patterns (hence speed) and often predispose one to injury.

I vaguely remnember Charlie Francis saying something about single leg squats cuasing tightness. Cannot find the thread.

Originally posted by Goose2
I vaguely remnember Charlie Francis saying something about single leg squats cuasing tightness. Cannot find the thread.

AA Phase. Bodyweight only.
I would never advocate heavy single leg squats. A great way to tighten yourself up, especially in the lower back, and a fast path to injury. Totally pointless unless you are long John Silver aiming to win the 100m hop at the R.Jim Ladd trophy meet.