One legged hops

What place do one legged hops have in the training program of a sprinter? I used to do them and at the time was making the best progress I’ve ever made in my sprinting, but one day I sprained my ankle doing them, so dropped them from my program. I can’t be sure that the great progress I was making in my sprinting was directly attributable to the one legged hops, but it’s possible I think. What do others think? I’m thinking about including them again in my program. I used to do 3 sets of 10 hops on each leg after a sprint workout. I would cover approximately 25m with 10 hops from a standing start. So, do you think they’re worth doing, or too dangerous?

Soooo… You need a soft surface for the one leg bounds- but a soft surface can roll your ankle- sooo… you need to do extra exercises so you can get ready for the one leg bounds on the soft surface, so you can …
Say! I have an idea. Why not do alternate bounds? You wont have the problems. You wont have to “train before you can train”, and they involve one leg at a time anyway.
BTW, have you ever noticed that everyone writing in here to extol this exercise is currently hurt- but can’t wait to get back at it “as soon as I recover”.

I think you should try your favourite sprint training exercise that you responded well to, again. The sprain could be to do with one or a combination of three reasons I can think off. A) Maybe you need more flexible and stronger ankles. B) You did them with fatigue and your form got sloppy. C) Maybe you need to wear a differant spike/sneaker when doing them.
Plan to resolve those 3 issues and try out the hops again.

I forgot to mention that I used to do the 1 legged hops on soft grass. The grass was smooth, but it was always soft. Maybe this fact would make it more likely that the anke could roll over when it hits the soft surface?

yes it would. try jumping on your bed with one leg. (dont really do it). to a certain extent the softer the surface the easier it is to roll an ankle.

Originally posted by QUIKAZHELL
yes it would. try jumping on your bed with one leg. (dont really do it). to a certain extent the softer the surface the easier it is to roll an ankle.

…and if you roll your ankle because of the soft surface it means your ankles and feet are weak and you will be losing plenty of energy when you are sprinting. Maybe take one step back and strengthen your feet and ankles before doing this type of work.

For me, one legged hops are more stressful than alternate leg bounds and may help develop more power for the acceleration phase, but I feel they are best for helping increase the power/strength in the weaker leg.

dcw23 and others,

What do you recommend for strenghtening the foot and ankles?

Tempo on grass, barefoot?

Stand on an unstabile board, and try to keep the balance. Agility runs are also good to strengthen the akles.

personally i think one legged hops are good but the goodness is hampered by danger.double your BW landing on one leg!!! hmmm…long bounds would be better,allowing for concentration on downtime and stride lenght to improve.hurdle bounds are also very good for teaching minimal downtime and explosiveness offf the ground.

EMS is great for strenghtening the ankle joint,all ligaments and tendons which is what EMS is great for strenghtening

whats the correct way to do this execrise

I would have thought that one legged hops would be a great way for a sprinter to sustain a metatarsal stress fracture. Comments?

Originally posted by Neospeed
I would have thought that one legged hops would be a great way for a sprinter to sustain a metatarsal stress fracture. Comments?

Depends on the footware, surface etc. i.e. some Kamikazes may try them in spikes on the track :o In that case its only a matter of time before something gives.

I can’t see a problem with doing them on grass if you are capable of doing them. I think anyone that is going to roll their ankle doing this type of stuff is probably training ahead of themselves. Charlies suggestion of the alternate bounds is probably a good idea.

Better off leaving the hops to the triple jumpers. Double leg hops or bounding would be a safer option, preferably on grass. Can also do them up slight hills or stairs.

llenny

soft sand running and cutting for strengthing ankles
Skipping
One legged hops
Prociprication - wobleboards etc.

I think that tempo where the heel is not placed is very good for ankle/ foot strengthening, since more weight is directed through the these structures, than in full speed sprinting. For football etc. lateral work could be added e.g. double leg jumping from side to side on balls of feet, or tempo in a weaving fashion.

No plyometric training ever got me injured. Touch wood. The only thing in my entire life that ever got me injured more than once was squats and a version of lunges. Have to admit though, I still went back to that same version of lunges and Lo and behold…

Barefoot Tempo is an excellant means to strengthen lower leg/ foot tendons and ligaments.