On the Grind: My Endless Pursuit of Athletic Aspiration

I think my right adductor is under a minor strain. I’m going to keep icing it and stretch it lightly with short holds. Foam rolling seems to just make things worse, as it is already inflammed quite a bit. Not really anything serious, I think I’ll be back Monday. My coach will do some tuneups before my workout which should help.

Looking back at my times from Wednesday’s workout, my 150m time is way out of proportion from my 60m time. After this tryout I’m really hoping to hammer the SE work.

Get my messages?

Monday, 8-16-10

Warmup (45min of light therapy, 1 Lap jog, hip mobility, sprint drills, MB Throws)

Easy accels:
3 x 10m
3 x 20m
1 x 30m (3.95)

MB Throws: 8lb Dynamax
10 x OHB
10 x BLF
10 x Vertical

Drove to Austin for some therapy and did what I could during the workout. After 20m, I would start to guard my right adductor during the accels. MB Throws didn’t bother it, so I just did those. It only hurts when I’m in hip extension with my knee flexed simultaneously. I have 15 days before the tryout and I’m getting kind of worried on how much I can do while taking care of this minor injury.

Tuesday, 8-17-10

Iced the adductor 4x and took the day off. Probably should have done some heavy upperbody work, but I’ll do that tomorrow.

Wednesday, 8-18-10

Ice + EMS, 4x

Thursday, 8-19-10

Warmup (1 lap jog, hip mobility, hudle mobility, sprint drills)

Upperboy Push:
Bench - 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 185 x 3, 205 x 1, 4 x 2 w/ 225
Incline DB Press - 2 x 8 w/ 65’s
Tricep Pressdown - 3 x 10

Friday, 8-20-10

Warmup (1 lap jog, hip mobility, hurdle mobility, sprint drills, MB Throws)

Accels:
5 x 10yds (adductor started tightening up)

MB Throws: 12lb
10 x OHB
5 x BLF
5 x Height

Upperbody Pull:
Pullups - 3 x 10
DB Rows - 3 x 10, 47.5’s
BB Curls - 3 x 10

Adductor/pectineus felt a lot better today, the EMS and icing are paying off. I think if I can continue icing, ems, and stretching throughout the weekend, I can be back for my taper at full speed.

Nothing wild now buddy! You’ve got less than 10 days left, correct? You’ve got the speed and fitness, all you need to do is stay healthy and let the taper freshen you up. You will be jumping out of your skin on your tryout day. Any chance of getting a little therapy in before then?

Saturday, 8-21-10

Tempo: on grass/barefoot
2 x 5 x 100m, 30sec/2min

MB Circuit: 2 x 300

Iced, EMS, Self-massage+foam roll, Light Stretching, Epsom Salt bath, and DMSO+Ibuproffen on injury location.

Sunday, 8-22-10

OFF

I agree and yes I have less than 10 days left now. Frank says he’ll try to meet up with me next Sunday which will be 2 days before the tryout. My taper probably won’t be the way I want it to be because of this minor injury, but I’m hoping a small taper can keep me from being flat (at least a 5 day taper).

Right adductor/pectineus still isn’t 100% ready. I can now see a slightly dark bruise on it, it’s probably the exact same injury I had when I was overloading myself from the Plank Progression Series. I’m going to give the therapy a rest the next couple of days because I think I’m doing too much for it. I will probably still ice it just to eliminate any inflammtion.

Monday, 8-23-10

Warmup (1 Lap jog, hip mobility, hurdle mobility, sprint drills)

Tempo:
12 x 100m runs on track, 30-40sec rest

5 x OHB, made a PB by throwing just under 18yds
5 x BLF

Bench - 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 205 x 1, 4 x 2 w/ 225

Right adductor/pectineus felt good, but the real test will be tomorrow when I do some accels. Wasn’t expecting to throw a PB in the MB throws today.

Tuesday, 8-24-10

Warmup (1 Lap jog, hip mobility, hurdle mobility, sprint drills, MB Throws)

Speed Work: 180m
2 x 10m
2 x 20m
4 x 30m

No issues with the sprints today. Wasn’t guarding my right adductor today at all. This is Day 8 of the taper.

That PB in the medball throws sounds like you are freshening up! Keep up that careful monitoring, your job is to stay healthy and it sounds like you’re on it. That’s great that Frank is going to get you some therapy before the tryout. That man is a helluva coach.

PS I’m wary of the barefoot tempo until the tryout is over. What if you step on something? Remember the classic Charlie quote, “Total paranoia is total preparedness.”

Ya I’ve already had kind of an unload since I’ve been dealing with the injury, so I just need to keep a good level of maintenance. I’ll be getting the therapy from Frank the 3 days before the tryout, so the timing will be nice.

Thanks for the tips as well Tyrone, I won’t be doing tempo barefoot anymore.

Wednesday, 8-25-10

Warmup (1 Lap jog, hip mobility, hurdle mobility, sprint drills)

Tempo:
3 x 3 x 100m, 16seconds. 30sec/2min

Vertical Throws - 3 x 3

Bench - 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 185 x 3, 4 x 2 w/ 225

This is Day 7 of the taper.

Friday, 8-27-10

Warmup (1 Lap jog, hip mobility, hurdle mobility, sprint drills, MB Throws, 2 x 10m accels)

Speed Work:
3 x 30m
1 x 60m

Bench - 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 185 x 3, 4 x 2 w/ 225

Won’t be able to train tomorrow but I will be getting some therapy on Sunday.

Monday, 8-30-10

Speed Work:
1 x 10m
1 x 20m
4 x 30m

OHB - 5x
Vertical Throw - 5x

Bench - 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 185 x 3, 205 x 3, 6 x 1 (245, 250, 250, 255, 255)

Days are counting down. Got a great therapy session yesterday.

Tuesday, 8-31-10

Speed Work:
2 x 30m

Both 30’s felt fast, I think I’ll do fine as long as I keep accelerating as long as possible. This is the final day of the taper. Tomorrow is the day that I have been waiting for.

Goodluck, it’s just another training session - nothing more - nothing less.

Day 1 Results

30m start (with reaction time) - 4.42
30m fly - 3.12
BLF w/ 16lb Shot - 11.65m
OHB w/ 16lb Shot - 13.00m
SLJ - 2.90m

Real disappointed in the sprints today. The touchpad wasn’t working at the start so we had to start on the “set-go” command which I wasn’t prepared for. We stood out in the heat for 2hrs doing the throws and jumps before doing the 60’s. My times were similar to a guy on the team who ran 7.2x FAT indoors and 11.14 FAT outdoors. But I still didn’t stand out today, there were guys who ran in the 2.95-3.00 range in the 30m fly. I don’t think anybody broke 4.2 in the 30m start today.

Tomorrow we will be testing the 150m, 25m speed hop, and VJ. Things aren’t looking good right now, but I just have to keep a positive attitude for the tryout and look forward to better myself with the next couple of months after I get all of my results.

Day 2 Results

Tested 25m speed hop, they didn’t give times.
5 Bound - 12.75m
VJ (from vertec) - 28.5"

Was supposed to run a 150m, but it started raining. I’m still rattled on what I ran in the 30m start yesterday. I couldn’t even sleep last night. The reaction time probably cost me at least .3 seconds. I have now learned my lesson that handtimes are deceiving. All of those consistent 3.8-3.9’s I ran in training were bullshit. Oddly enough my flying 30m was dead on with what I ran in training. Overall I was in the top 5 in the throws and top 10 in the VJ and SLJ.

I’m going to put this tryout behind me and get back to continuing my GPP. My fitness and strength levels probably suck now.

The lesson is to trust my handtimes! What kind of feedback did the coaches give you? Just keep plugging away, outlast the discouragement and disappointment, and you’ll get to where you want to go.

I remember I ran anywhere between 4.05-4.15 when you were timing me, so I would say I was in that ballpark. Which means my reaction time is pretty slow. I didn’t get any feedback, as it seems they could care less about walkons. My goal now is to beat some guys on the team for the indoor season.

Hey Kyle,

I’m sorry to hear your tryout didn’t go as well as you hoped. How did they time these 30’s, you got in the blocks, they said go, and hand timed it with reaction like that? How much do you normally add for hand times with no reaction for 30m or 60m?

If they were standing at the finish line 30m away when shouting the go command, you gotta take at least .05 to .08 off for the sound to reach your ears. (340.20 metres per second / 100= 3.4 m per hundredth)

Still though, 4.42 included your reaction time which works out to a 4.12, plus you can take nearly a tenth off if they were giving commands from the finish line, so it wasn’t horrendous if that was the case. Maybe not what you wanted, but not a disaster really. Did you work much on flying stuff in the lead-up to the tryout? I felt like they just kind of sprung that on you. Still though, 3.12 is pretty decent, you’re running 1.04 segments, and you can definitely get quicker, you’re super-young!

Is there anyone else you can work with out there? It’s just so hard to run with good technique solo.

PS I will update my summer training blog later tonight and tomorrow hopefully to let everyone know how the time trial went.

PSS You better come up in November! It will be GOOD TIMES!