Oh man, I need some help

lol i hear ya man, but if i let my self go ill end up eating either 2000 kcal or 6000 depends

i used to be FAT and i dont mean the timing method:P so either i undereat worying or overeat because lets face it i still am a fat ass in the mind so i have a prety huge apettite:P

Bump…Quik, think you could dig up a food log or two?

Thanks man.

…Bump:).

btw at 3500kcal im not gaining fat

though im still trying to find out at what muscle cross section to stop doing hypertrophy, well to my eyes im prety small still but i cant aford to put on any more fat, idealy i should loose 7-8 pounds of it

Which leads me to my problem:
I’ve become so obsessed with counting calories and meal timing and all that jazz that it’s ridiculous, and I feel that it is going to hinder my training. I’m always paranoid about how many calories I’ve eaten in a day, how many I need to plan out in order to have enough energy to do my sprint workouts I’ll be doing without overeating.

I never had this problem before I became extremely nutritionally “aware”. Granted, I was probably carrying around a little extra fat during that time, but ignorance, as they say, was freakin’ bliss.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I want to be able to eat enough so that I have PLENTY of energy to do intense sprint work/lifting, but I don’t want to just eat with reckless abandon like I used to do years ago.

Take up bodybuilding you’d probably do well. Successful bodybuilders (and fitness competitors) who kick things off with an eating disorder are practically the rule rather then the exception, although this isn’t something you hear about or think would occur in males to such an extent but it does. :slight_smile: Once you have an eating disorder you will never ever go 5 minutes without thinking about food again, which is a pre-requisite for bodybuilding success. That’s why I sometimes tell people that want to gain weight that what they should do is go on an overly restrictive diet for a time to increase their awareness of food. Because once they do eating enough won’t ever be a problem :slight_smile:

Sounds like you got things on the right track now though. The hard thing was probably realizing that 2800 calories is a lot of clean food and that yes you CAN eat that much without getting fat.

for starters with a 2800kcal diet i seem to gain weigh wich is frankly imposible, i train ALOT. On the other hand i was rather untrained so i could be gaining muscle still…i really dont know. Besides that, eating 2500kcal/day makes me STARVE, im CONSTANTLY hungry, i mean all the time. Now, you could say thats my old fat brain telling me to eat some sugar, but i have in the past survived with 1800-2000 kcal/day feeling the same (if less) hungry, though i trained a lot less, and i mean alot.

so who tels the truth, my hunger, the scale, my performance?

Metabolism is so variable. For example, I could train like you and gain weight on 2000 calories per day at ~170 lbs. :rolleyes: Quik as hell eats 4500 calories…not everything can be explained with charts. Bottom line if you’re losing weight you’re burning up more calories then you consume.

AND, i im 5’10’’ weigh 175lbs my body fat is (visually) 11% (i can see abs but i have flab) so should i do a “body builders” cycle to get leaner and ad some muscle as fast as possible or what?

Probably not

its common(?) knowledge that the leaner you are the easier it is to remain that way,

Actually it’s the opposite. The leaner you become the easier it is to add fat back on. The research here is misleading because they show that lean people, those at 6-8% bodyfat for example, have faster metabolisms per lb of bodymass and partition more excess calories into muscle vs fat when eating excess calories compared to someone up around 15% bodyfat, who has a slower metabolism and stores more calories as fat when overfeeding.

The problem is they’re getting their data from people who are NATURALLY lean and trying to extrapolate their functions to everyone which doesn’t work. In other words, there’s a humongous difference between someone who’s naturally at 6% bodyfat (quikashell) vs someone who has to diet his ass off to get down there. The latter will have a very slow metabolism and be apt to pile on fat at an astounding rate which is totally opposite the former.

The problem is they’re getting their data from people who are NATURALLY lean and trying to extrapolate their functions to everyone which doesn’t work. In other words, there’s a humongous difference between someone who’s naturally at 6% bodyfat (quikashell) vs someone who has to diet his ass off to get down there. The latter will have a very slow metabolism and be apt to pile on fat at an astounding rate which is totally opposite the former.

i have to disagree i used to be really really fat, being though a lot of diets, now that i am lean (i.e 9-ish%) its prety tough to add fat. I went through two weeks of no training and binging on chocolate in cristmass only to add a couple of pounds.

Keep in mind, that’s an experiment of one. You may be the exception, and not the rule.

thats true.

although, there may be a difference of scematics here. What do we mean by saying “the leaner you are the easier it is to stay lean”.

When doing a properly planed scientific excperiment we must focus on a set of given variable normalizing any others to not interfere with the results.

thus a study of lean people ading fat or not in comparison to their “fater” counterparts would need to treat all the same way, a not lean individual does not excersize alot and eats more or less junk. If you make the lean live like that he will put on fat really fast on the other hand, the leaner you are the more active a lifestyle and better eating habits you have.

what i mean is that someone lean deu to lifestyle needs lots and lots of energy, energy that someone not lean would not need

have to disagree i used to be really really fat, being though a lot of diets, now that i am lean (i.e 9-ish%) its prety tough to add fat. I went through two weeks of no training and binging on chocolate in cristmass only to add a couple of pounds

Your metabolism in almost all cases will still be slower and you will have more of a tendency to gain fat back then someone who hasn’t been fat. However, youth and hormones can go a long way in keeping things somewhat optimal. However, there have been studies done on people who lose large amounts of bodyweight. Even after several years certain markers in the their brains are still acting like someone who is starved - this doesn’t normalize until they gain the weight back, which is why diets fail 95% of the time.

Your metabolism in almost all cases will still be slower and you will have more of a tendency to gain fat back then someone who hasn’t been fat. However, youth and hormones can go a long way in keeping things somewhat optimal. However, there have been studies done on people who lose large amounts of bodyweight. Even after several years certain markers in the their brains are still acting like someone who is starved - this doesn’t normalize until they gain the weight back, which is why diets fail 95% of the time.

well that would explain why im costantly hungry:p

i mean, i have a botomless abyss of a stomack, even when bulking (at 4000 or so kcal) i feel hungry its exruciating:p

though do you have any studies or references to that, i would be interested to read up on the subject

indeed i tend to gain fat somewhat faster than my other fit friends, but rather slower than what i used to. In any case loosing and adding weight is not much of a problem for me now, and maintaining is rather easy. For starters its easier for me to spend energy, riding a bicycle to school is prety energy demanding though i dont mind it, when i was fat going to the bathroom was feat on its own

some questions:

my metabolism is slower, meaning what? Im actually asking:p is my body temperature lower than most people say? Perhaps my involuntary movements are less? What constitutes a “slower metabolism” and talking numbres how much is that? 500 kcal? 1000kcal?

so basicaly im f$&#d no matter what?:stuck_out_tongue:

Yes the constant hunger and lowered body temp is due to that. There’s plenty of research out there on the subject if you look around on pubmed. The point is that people just can’t drop a bunch of weight and go right back to their old habits and expect to maintain that weight loss. You, on the other hand, have made a permanent lifestyle change with exercise. As long as you keep doing what you’re doing you’ll be fine. Metabolic rate will not be compromised that much, maybe 15% or so…but the hunger is something that wil probably never go away. :slight_smile:

If you want to check out something interesting on the subject search for the Minnesota semi-starvation experiment.

Low temp could indicate a thyroid problem. Thyroid problem could means lower metabolism.
Do the iodine test.

TNT

i dont have lowered temperature (i think:P) i was merely asking what are the physiological effects of lowered metabolism. If you spend less energy that energy should stand for something, heat most likely.

so you are saying that i could be spending as much as 400-500kcal less than some other 9% bf 178lbs male that was always lean? that is terrifying to say the least:p

i did some reading about the minesota experiment, i have to say im quite alarmed, i can detect some of those effects on me too, most notably the constant hunger and the bing eating. While i have it under control i find it easier to just not eat at all than to eat “a bit”. Sh*t you ruinded my life:p

any redemtion? this is prety interesting for me, kind of solves some issues i had unanswered

ah…il probably never be able to avoid counting calories, thats kind of depressing, but it is what it is

im not a fitness or nutrition expert but Im in fairly good shape and have been losing body fat and putting on more muscle due to my better diet. about a year ago I was in the whole I need to count my calories, if I have to many it would be considered a sin.

First off I tried to figure out what I wanted out of everything… better shape and know that what I eat wont hurt me.

next I tried to eat much smaller meals, more often in the day. I probably eat a small meal every 2-4 hours ( depending on my training routine) Next I try to make each meal with Any three food groups (excluding fats) lunch maybe an apple, peanut butter sandwich, and milk (4 food groups), or a vegi pizza and a glass of water for dinner.

I sugest reading the sports nutrition guidebook by Nancy Clark. its friggin amaizing, and It will go more in depth with what i just said and also explain alot more things

I sugest reading the sports nutrition guidebook by Nancy Clark. its friggin amaizing, and It will explain so much stuff you wouldnt normally think about

no offence mate, but what you are mentioning is prety mundane:)

I sent the first post by accident after I read it i realized it made no sense at all. so I put the 2nd one in not knowing the first one was posted :frowning: sorry everyone… but that book is really good it is geared more towards runners and sprinters. :smiley: