Oh man, I need some help

The only difference between my high intensity and low intensity days diet is usually a protein shake which is approx 650 calories (muscle milk) and maybee an extra sandwhich… Off the top of my head I will post what I eat on a typical high intensity day, if you dont mind can you do the math? *calories.
*Many ppl will say I eat like shit and I do not have a healthy diet. Honestly I do not care. I make sure I take in alot of calories and alot of protein. When Im 40 this however may change. lol.

Am: Protein Shake Muscle Milk w/2 cups of Milk 638 calories

Lunch: Turkey, or Roast beef, or Tuna etc. Sandwhich, Potato salad, chips

After Practice: Protein Shake Muscle Milk w/2 cups of Milk 638 calories

Dinner: Grilled chicken, Bacon Cheeseburger, Salad maybe some other stuff fruit? (or maybe 2 grilled chickens minus the burger)

11pm: Sandwhich #2

1am:bedtime

Remember I eat a bunch of other snacks and things here and there as well as 2-3 powerades (Each powerade is 2.5 servings)

Also I was trying to brainstorm of what I usually eat. It changes every day with the exeption of the protein skakes and late night sandwhich. Also I make myself pretty large sandwhich with cheese and mayonaise. lol.

Im assuming thats around 3500 maybe not maybe you guys can do the math and see.

lol:P

do the math based on what you dont really have quantity info, say a potato salad (with mayo?) can be from 300 to 1300 kcal depending on the size:P how the hell you remain 5% with this diet i really dont know, i guess you where fit to bigin with?

its common(?) knowledge that the leaner you are the easier it is to remain that way, but 5% that roxorz

Your right! Thats why I didnt want to do the math. When I get back to school Ill try and see if I can dig up an old food log from last semester.

indeed do that

as a sidenote, has anyone of you ever had to lose some fat in order to be well better at sprints? I rechon i have to loose some fat, and while i have the knowledge to do that, given my training eating at 2500 kcals is STARVING me, i get extreme cravings, so is that a sighn that i sould raise the cals or am i just fat in the head?:stuck_out_tongue:

Think of it this way,

While you are sprint training, you can pretty much eat anything you want(with the exception of fastfood) and you won’t gain any bodyfat. All the food that you’re eating you are burning or converting into muscle.

Some days I’ll eat an insane amount of calories and other days I’ll take it easy. It doesn’t matter for me because there’s no way I can gain excess bodyfat with the training regimen I put myself on.

That’s a rediculously low caloric intake. Why are you starving your muscles of food? How do you expect your muscles to perform at high levels when you don’t feed them? When you feel hungry… IT MEANS YOU SHOULD EAT!!

I can guarantee one of the reasons that you’re hungry is because you don’t have enough fat in your diet. If you eat fat with your meals, it’s pretty much a constant stream of energy and you won’t get hungry!! I prefer good saturated fats like coconut oil or coconut milk. I just finished drinking half a can of coconut milk, that’s about 60 grams of saturated fat. And it will not increase your bodyfat.

Ha, I wish. My freshman year of college (two years ago) I put on like 15 pounds eating all kinds of crap even though I was doing sprint training.

Well obviously you can gain weight eating all sorts of garbage. I’m saying that it will be nearly impossible to gain fat if you keep your diet clean. You can even over eat on healthy stuff and you won’t gain much fat.

Just wondering…is saturated fat not the kind of fat you should avoid? I thought it was best to go for the poly and monosaturated fats and saturated in moderation, 60g in one serving seems really high to me.

Yes, saturated fat is the kind you want to consciously limit. Mono/Polyunsaturated fats are the beneficial ones. Coconut oil probably is one of the “best” sources of saturated fats in terms of health, but I probably wouldn’t recommend drinking an entire bottle . . . .

Yes, generally you should avoid saturated fats. Coconut products are an exception though.

why is that?

in any case i bought a digital scale so in two weeks time i will tell you my results (i keep nutritional and excersize log)

As far as I’m aware saturated fats raise total blood cholesterol, which includes the ‘bad’ cholesterol that clogs arteries etc and can lead to heart disease and other heart problems- eek! :frowning:

Coconut Oil and Lipids

generally you are right, but coconut oil may be different

after reading all the above…

a good athletes’ cooking book might be a nice solution… think about it…

Here’s a question…what’s a ballpark figure for the most amount of calories I could/should have in one meal? Keep in mind I’m about 5’6"/130lbs.

Like, is there a general “cutoff” to the max number of calories one should have in one sitting (in other words, a point a which the calories will no longer be utilized efficiently, and will be automatically stored as extra fat)?

Theres not really a max calorie amount but you should try and keep all meals about equal.

hey, white chocolate. go over to Johnberardi.com and go to the calorie calculator. Fill it out and see what you need. Itll tell you how many calories you need on which days and the amount of calories and macronutrient profile of each meal, etc. Remember of course, that if your amount comes out to way more than you are currently taking, increase the amount of calories each week by 250kcal per day and see. You might want to go 500 kcal per day starting out. If you put on some fat, dont worry, just lower your kcal amount. hope that helps.

a good athletes’ cooking book might be a nice solution… think about it…

i have “Athletic nutrition” by Emil Dimov (dont know the spelling) a bulgarian coach or something, do you want to see the nutritional plan for a sprinter? just wait:P

76kgr male sprinter

acoriding to him he need 5200 kcal split in 228 grams of protein 170 of fat and 650 of carbs

OBVIOUSLY i cant eat 5200 kcal/day:P

what i meant by that was a book with good, easy recipes for athletes that you can follow, have variety in your food and stop worrying, or rather getting obsessed with kcal, percentages and grams, because it seems to me that that’s your main “problem”; just leave it for a while, eat normally and whenever you are hungry and the right foods after each session and you won’t be far away…

what happens if you wish to train/stay away from home for some time? take it easy and give it some time and it’ll come naturally; that’s what i’d suggest, anyway…

detailed nutritional meals is someone else’s job -unless you are in this field, don’t remember- and because obviously it’s not easy for anyone of us to plan the perfect diet, you are getting more frustrated -and with no good reason sometimes- and this starts all over again

suggestions only to help! :wink: