Offseason Weightlifting

Have started lifting weights in the last 3 weeks. Developed a program based on what I think I need…
5’ 10", 70kg, 15% BF

Monday
Bench Press 4 x 8
Bicep Curls 4 x 8
Shoulder Raisers 4 x 8
Shoulder Press 4 x 8
Bench Pulls 4 x 8
Lat. Pull Downs 4 x 8
Squats 4 x 8
Dead Lifts 2 x 8
Reverse Hypers 4 x 8

Wednesday
Bench Press 4 x 8
Bicep Curls 4 x 8
Shoulder Raisers 4 x 8
Shoulder Press 4 x 8
Bench Pulls 4 x 8
Lat. Pull Downs 4 x 8
Squats 2 x 8
Dead Lifts 4 x 8
Reverse Hypers 4 x 8

Friday
Bench Press 4 x 8
Bicep Curls 4 x 8
Shoulder Raisers 4 x 8
Shoulder Press 4 x 8
Bench Pulls 4 x 8
Lat. Pull Downs 4 x 8
Squats 4 x 8
Dead Lifts 2 x 8
Reverse Hypers 4 x 8

I’d like to improve my physique somewhat as well as gain some power in my legs. My starts are hugely lacking and I’d like to improve them though the program. I’m current doing no track work, and plan on keeping it this way until mid-June. I want to increase my muscle mass initially, begin introducing strength based work in a couple of months, then focus on power orientated workouts coming into competition season, (August - December)
Advice appreciated.

Why are biceps curls and shoulder raises earlier in the workout than most of the more compound exercises? Judging from the order of exercises it seems that you’re concerned that your upper body may be lagging behind your lower body in terms of development, but I’m curious as to why you put those exercises so early, especially considering that they aren’t prime movers in sprinting.

And what are the rest intervals for these workouts?

And, this may seem like a n00b question, but what are bench pulls?

Yep curls and raises should be the last exercises if you include them at all.

How long do you think that would take?

How long do you plan on doing 4x8 for?

Why no cleans or snatches?

if you want to gain power in your legs, why are all your leg movements at the end of each day? simplify your program…

example day:

squat
bench
rdl
pullups
core
done.

Are you competing in bodybuilding? This sounds like an obvious question, but your program looks exactly like one for a bodybuilder. If you are worried about upper body mass, do a Westside for Skinny bastards or something else. Another thing to consider is strongman exercises. I have found them to be a good alternative to normal lifting, especially if you are worried about upper body mass.

Altering the order of exercises hadn’t occured to me but does seem logical. I had been trying to work the order around muscles that are indirectly used in the previous exercise. Eg. benchpress indirectly works biceps and triceps, so I move onto exercises targeting these muscles next. However I am aware of CNS fatigue and the effect it can have on performance so I’v reworked program…
Squats
Deads
Hypers
Bench
and so on…

Takes me approximatly 90 minutes to complete the session including warm up, with roughly 2 mins between sets.
As for cleans and snatches - I don’t think my level of coordination or my back/abdominal strength is quite up to a movement as complex as either of these.
I also lack flexibility in the hamstring & gluteal region and have problems with flexion of the lower part of the lumbar spine which I am improving through deep squats and frequent stretching. I’m using the deads as a precursor to cleans which I plan to introduce in a few weeks. Not doing any specific ‘core stability’ exercises because I am yet to be presented any information which would suggest any practical benefit that will rollover into sprinting. However dead lifts, squats & standing shoulder press all require static coordination of the abdominal/back muscles. Additionally the reverse hyper extensions also work the lower back and abdominal muscles. I feel the indirect concentric/eccentric muscular balance of the abdomen is far more relevant to sprinting than slow, controlled movements which apparantly target the area…

I think you make an interesting point regarding ‘core stability’. I partly agree with you. I think it is important, but not to the extent that some people would have us believe. Dave Lease apparently had Jason Gardener doing all sorts of gymnastics routines on a tumble run in order to develop core stability! I can not see how that will benefit a sprinter. The level of core stability required in sprinting can not be as high as it would need to be for some gymnastic movements.

Are you working hard during the workout? Sweating a lot?

If I was you, doing that many exercises, I would rather split them up and do each exercise twice a week mon/tues/thurs/fri or mon/tues/thurs/sat. Cut a set off each exercise each workout and you will have about the same overall vol. This way I could be sure I was giving enough effort each workout.

I would also vary the reps each workout, else you are more likely to stagnate. 3x a week, then 5/8/10 reps each time.

Can you not do some plyometrics? doesn’t have to be very much, just a few sets two to three times a week.

If this is your first shot at lifting then don’t worry to much about the cleans/snatches until you have someone who can teach you right. For the first year you can do pretty well with a simple bodybuilder type routine and won’t get too injured along the way.

As you get more confident and read more you can experiment with different lifts.

If you don’t have a coach to show you proper technique get the GPP DVD instead of just copying people you see in the gym.

Change the order, as others have said. Also either drop a few lifts (simplify the workout) or decrease the volume down to like 2 sets or something (let your body be the judge).

Also don’t worry to much about the decreasing the reps until you have been training for a few months and have a base level of strength.

If you can afford it get a decent coach for a few sessions to learn good form and provide feedback.

Good luck.

I train under the supervision of a very knowledgeable strength and conditioning coach, and frequently discuss my program with friend who is a former athlete and has previously trained with Esa Peltola (Australian Institute of Sport, current coach of Patrick Johnson). He has passed some of his knowledge on to me but both have recommended that I do some independent reading and form my own opinion.
Have slightly modified the program to improve lift quality…

Squats 4 x 8
Bench Press 4 x 8
Reverse Hypers 4 x 8
Bench Pulls 4 x 8
Bicep Curls 4 x 8
Shoulder Raisers 4 x 8
Shoulder Press 4 x 8

I plan on beggining my training mid-June, with competition season from August until early November. I am wondering if there is any benefit in including explosive lifts + plyometrics at this point in my training? Also, two-legged reverse hypers have become too easy and I feel like I am wasting my time with them. Have started performing the exercise one legged. Any negatives about doing this? I am keen to strengthen my hamstrings as I have had trouble with these in the past. ‘Good mornings’ have been suggested although I am not sure whether I should replace the hypers or simply supplement them? With squats, I am performing the exercises until thighs are parallel with the floor. Is there any benefit in going deeper, or is this depth adaquet for maximum benefit? I have been considering lowering my body fat significantly prior to competition. At 15% and 71kg I figure I am carrying atleast 5kg of shedable lard; if it were possible to maintain strength levels whilst losing fat would considerable speed gains be expected?