NY: Gay v Bolt

NEW YORK, May 29, 2008 (AFP) - World 100 metre champ Tyson Gay and Jamaican speedster Usain Bolt will undergo their first big test of the season in facing each other at the Reebok Grand Prix meet Saturday.
Bolt ran an impressive 9.76 in the 100 metres in Kingston, Jamaica earlier this month.
China’s Liu Xiang, world champion in the 110 metre hurdles and world record holder, also continues his preparation for competing on home soil at this summer’s 2008 Beijing Olympics.
Saturday’s meet is the third event of the 2008 Visa Championship Series.
Bolt, who is the Jamaican teammate of world record holder Asafa Powell (9.74), has emerged this season as American Gay’s latest challenger. Powell decided to skip the New York meet.
The premier sprint race also features Gay’s 4x100m gold medal winning teammates Leroy Dixon and Darvis Patton, 2004 Olympic 200m gold medalist Shawn Crawford and US Indoor champion Michael Rodgers.
The women’s 100m features a rematch of the final of the 2007 World Championships as reigning World champ Veronica Campbell-Brown, of Jamaica, takes on 2005 World champion Lauryn Williams, 2007 World bronze medalist Carmelita Jeter and 2003 World champion Torri Edwards.
Williams won the silver and Campbell-Brown the bronze at the 2004 Olympic Games.
Two-time World 200m champ Allyson Felix is also scheduled to run.
Wallace Speamon leads the men’s 200m field, while five of the top ten women in the world will race in the women’s 400 metres, including top ranked Sanya Richards.
Reigning Olympic and World champ Liu will face two-time Olympic silver medalist Terrence Trammell in the hurdles.

Anyone want to lay down a prediction for this one?? Before Carson, I would have said Gay, but that performance left me a little unsure, especially after Bolt’s run in Trinidad! Full start lists are here: http://www.reebokgrandprix.com/index.php?page=athletes

Good conditions, good start and Bolt could have a good WR. :slight_smile:

I will not be able to predict until right before the race. If gay is constantly adjusting his blocks like he did before his last 100, then he is nervous and I will give it to bolt. But gays 200 meter jog showed that he does have the speed. Bolt is on a winning spree. I may have to go with bolt.

Looks like a rainy day is set for tomorrow, so I’m not prepared to set times but I think gay will win by around a tenth.

around a tenth :eek:
either Bolt or Gay, but it will be pretty close me thinks…

I call Gay unless Brauman keeps coaching him down into the 10s.

Gay win big, rep the USA.

I agree that Gay looked awesome in his 200 in Carson, but if Bolt is moving away from him at 50m I think it will be difficult to respond. I can’t see there being a tenth in it though. That’s a big gap at this level, especially with a race this close to call.

If its gonna rain as mentioned ill go with gay

They both freak out and somebody else wins:D

You’d get good odds on that. Neither are known for not performing when it counts.

I’m gonna say Bolt by 0.03.

I am tipping Bolt he looks better than Gay from 20-50m. I don’t see Gay running down Bolt after 60m. Gay needs to be up on Bolt at 60 to win.

Unfortunately, if the forecast is correct, “rain” doesn’t quite cover it:

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videoplayer.html?clip=365&from=newslinker

Just hope everybody survives tomorrow uninjured.

The severe storms are predicted to die down by the start of the meet. The 100 doesn’t go until after 9 by which time the forecast is for scattered storms with 10MPH wind –
http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USNY0996?begHour=11&begDay=152

Don’t mess with the mojo :smiley: I’m still sick over MJ and Mo’s 200 in the 2000 Trials.

The evening program starts at 5PM and there are others in the afternoon. As I said, I just pray that nobody gets injured and sees their olympic hopes “Gone With The Wind.”

That storm came through my town en route to NY. It was pretty bad but didn’t last long.

My pick is the weather is ok :slight_smile:

The meet is delayed by 1 hour due to storm.