No SE over 150 for kids?

Charlie, I’m curious to know why you reccomend that kids 16 years old and under shouldn’t do SE over 150 meters. Is this just in training or do you think that competitions should be limited to 150 as well. Since 150 is almost never run this would mean that the only events you could compete in would be the 100 and 60? Is stretching to 200 or 400 okay? Let’s say an athlete wants to compete in the 400 at the World Youth’s at 16, how could they possibly be prepared without any SE beyond 150.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I just never really understood this.:help:

I don’t mean to answer for Charlie, but i think that statement is for 100m ath’s only. It just doesn’t make sense for a 400 guy to not run more that 150. However, in the context of a 100m dash person, it makes a lot more sense.

Thanks for the quick response. Perhaps that is what he meant, but I’m not so sure. If your only event was 100 meters, you would probably rarely go above 150 anyway, regardless of age.

I DO mean avoid SE above 150m below age 16, regardless of event (the stress of which is only applied occasionally- I hope.) The best results will be found by enhancing the general fitness levels of these beginners- not through over taxing the organism with long SE.

Charlie

Would you apply that to athletes who are inexperienced in training and new to sprinting but not training.

Thanks for clearing that up.

The obvious follow-up question that I have is what are the best ways to enhance general fitness in kids. I mean tempo is always there, but there are volume limits to that, and that only enhances aerobic fitness. What about anaerobic fitness and general strength? Keep in mind that many kids under 16 are not physically matrue enough to handle weights so strength may need to be obtained through some other means.

The next question I have is about introducing longer SE when the age is appropriate. Example: An athlete turns 16 and has all general fitness qualities in place. Obviously it’s probably not a great idea to have them run 2*300 all out to start. How should we build into it and over what period of time will this take place?

There are many means to advance general and specific fitness with young athletes, such as Power Speed drills (with and without additional load), Medicine Ball throws and accelerations, short hills, etc.
Once the athlete has a SIGNIFICANT background, SE can be added up to and including 150s. As the athlete progresses further, split runs can be added, ie 100+100+100, or 150+150, or 200+100 for a 300m equivalent.