No more squats for me!!

I know exactly how to do the squat and also Oly’s as well. I dont know if your post was referring to me or not. The issue with me isn’t technical it is CNS related and available energy given my schedule. (60 hour work weeks and 6 hours sleep a night during the week)

I think this refers more like active recovery. Hence the muscle recovers from the intense workouts and seems like it is “bulletproof”.

Then you have to listen to what your body allows you to do. Focusing on recuperation would help. Can you take naps? Or ease off other stressors?

I dont believe that full squats are that taxing on your cns, unless you are doing 3-5 hard worksets. If you have ever done powerlifting style squats with heavier weight, a slightly wider stance and going to slightly below parallel then you feel lots of soreness, but with ass to ground squats, there is no way that you should feel too much soreness unless you have some sort of muscle imbalance/weakness.

When you told us your workout below:

135 for 5
185 for 3
225 for 2-3
275 for 1
315 for 1
340 for 1
225 for 3

What are you capable of doing as a 1RM? Is 340 a full out effort? Whats the point of doing a down set at 225 inseason? If you are hitting this workout for extended periods of time without cycling your weight a little, it will lead to burnout.

My present workout looks like this:

135x5
225x5
295x5
365x3-5
workset: I start at 405x8 one week, then go 415x8 the next and just did 425x8 for a full squat pr last week. I will then back down to 405 for a week and jump up to 435 next week. I feel pushing too hard every week will drain you and demotivate you. I try to add 5-10 lbs per week in my workset and then when it gets hard 2-3 weeks later, I back off for a week and cycle up again.

Anyways inseason you only really need to hit some hard, but quick triples to keep your strength but save your cns. I would suggest 90% as a guideline, but you could hit the squat a bit harder every few weeks when you dont have a meet to change it up a bit.

I never have any soreness from squatting… maybe I need to lift more weight. I think I may be good for a 450 x 8 full squat in the next cycle.

That workout I listed is about once every 4 micros for a test. I usually didn’t do the down set only occasionally.

It isnt in season. It was the training I was doing while recovering. (No running)

I was following a westside hybrid. ME and speed day.

Speed day would be 70-80% of 1RM for explosive triples (~5 sets)

ME day would be heavy in a particular exercise (not necessarily squats)

Anyways what matters is that while I was running I was doing 3-4 sets 80% 1RM for triples immediately after speedwork (cycling intensities through the macro) and not recovering fast enough between sessions.

Naps at work would be be impossible unfortunately but I can catch the occasional nap on the subway on the way home after work. :slight_smile:

I’ll see how things progress. Times on the track will be the best indicator of progress :slight_smile:

Westside mistake #1! Too heavy on dynamic day.

80% of your 1RM is too heavy for dynamic work. Even 80% of your 3RM would be too heavy.

Westside uses 45-55% of your raw 1RM (no suit, no belt, no wraps) for dynamic days. You actually have to monitor your bar speed in order to determine how heavy to go. More explosive people can use weights closer to 55% while less explosive people need to work on getting more dynamic by using a lighter weight.

You also have to consider that If you are doing a ME and dynamic squat session per week, along with track and plyometric work you might be overkilling your cns with all this explosive work. Do you really need a dynamic squat when you are sprinting and bounding?

I would actually remove a DE for a sprinter and just do a light squat day if they feel they need to hit legs twice a week. Like easy 75%-80% of your 5RM for 5’s, just to get the blood flowing.

Grrr, lots of things I see wrong with arguements in this thread —
RE: “bulletproofing” — see some of Chad Waterbury’s work for t-mag — I forget the articles name, but the jist is high rep, very low intensity exercises build up localized work capacity, and the theroy is that the higher the work capacity, the less susceptible to injury the group in question is.

RE: Squatting, its neccesity, and maximum vs. dynamic efforts for SPRINTERS
let us remember -
NO EXERCISE IS MANDATORY
EVERYTHING WORKS - BUT NOTHING WORKS FOREVER
RE-READ David W’s “Strength training for sprinters” on why limit strength exercises are more important than dynamic or compensatory acceleration or isokinetic exercises for sprinters.

Chris30 — good work produced by careful observation of individual needs. kudos to you.

Since the vast majority of injuries are the result of inappropriate training/recovery, the only “bulletproofing” I can think of is a GOOD PLAN with proper follow-up, including flexibility with the execution of the plan where required.