Need some clarification...

Ok so i got the gpp dvd, and i’m trying to to setup my schedule, but i have a few questions and concerns regarding aspects of the program that (to me at least) appear to be unclear.

Please, i appreciate any answers, (ps i have searched but it didn’t really answer all my questions, plus it takes a loooong time to search and read through all the threads to find a specific answer to a Q)

Anyway here they are:

I’m not a track athelete and have been training with spritns/weights and tempo all summer, so should i take any time off? (if so how long) befre starting the gpp? or can i just go right into it…?

The hills should be around a 15 degree incline right? are you supposed to sprint all out up these hills?

in week one it says short recovery btw runs… i don’t quite understand this, since i thought all sprint work require full recoveries… anyways, how long should the “short recoveries” be?

the other weeks say rec X/Y mins: ie week 2 2.5/5mins… what does this mean exactly? 5mins rest/2.5 metres?

week 5 says recovery 4.5/10 sets… i don’t know what this means…

In terms of %, intesity, and set and rep schemes, what should be done with the weights… (the dvd does not signify any particular scheme)… can you try to develope str at all during this phase?

so m, w, f is hills/upper weights/medballs, and tu th, sat is tempos, lower body weights and low intesity medballs… then after the upper and lower days switch… so are the weights on mwf high intesity and heavy and t,w,sat just like really light weights or something?

since i play soccer i was wondering if i could up the tempo a little interms of volume to maybe 3000-3400m…

thanks for the answers…

(plz respond lol… i know i’m a noob)

u should be able to find ur answers on board.

I’ve been searching for like 40 minutes… can’t you just give me the answers? i mean if you know the answers then posting them couldn’t take for the 3 minutes, while for me to “hunt” for the answers could take me ages…

Also i am confused about the medball graphs… there are three different ones, but when do alternate between them… also i thought that the medballs were to be done high intesity days and low intensity days (with less cns stress ofcourse), but the graphs indicate that thje MBs are done only on tues, thurs, sat…

so what giveS?

When was the last time you trained? I think it would be fine if you took a week’s rest before starting a new program like this one.

1.) Hill runs are for accel development, so you should be going near max effort on those runs. Obviously you aren’t going to be full speed, but the effort should be there. I believe the rest periods between the hill runs are walkback recoveries, since it they are 10m, 20m, 30m, runs you shouldn’t have much problem recovering. This is GPP remember. Charlie goes over this breifly I believe in the dvd, watch it again.

2.) The 2.5/5 min rest you are referring to means 2.5 min. rest between reps, 5 min. between sets. Same with 4.5/10, 4.5 min rest between reps, 10 min between sets.

3.) The weights aren’t going to be exact cookie cutter, so adjust to what you feel is best for you and go from there. Don’t get too over analytical with the weight scheme, pick a weight you can do for the amount of reps and go from there. Since you are a relative beginner, the weights set up may be a bit much for you in terms of volume. What are your current PB’s?

4.) You have it correct about the weights switching from upper/lower scheme every other day to going to the total body scheme every other day (on M, W, F). T/Th/Sat you don’t have to do any weights; if you feel it is needed you can possibly add in some bodyweight circuits to help facillitate recovery but you should be getting enough from the M-W-F lifting to give you what you need in terms of HI lifts.

5.) As far as tempo goes, start out with the first circuit, see how you feel, adjust accordingly.

Hope that helped bud. Props for searching and looking for answers, I know it can be difficult sometimes when you have a lot of questions. Remember this program is a template and you can adjust to what suits YOU best! Best of luck in your training and soccer.

thanks for the reply man, i really appreciate it…

"When was the last time you trained? "
I did a heavy weights session two days ago… could i just do maybe a couple tempo days and start up gpp on monday, or do you think i need the full week off?

"3.) The weights aren’t going to be exact cookie cutter, so adjust to what you feel is best for you and go from there. Don’t get too over analytical with the weight scheme, pick a weight you can do for the amount of reps and go from there. Since you are a relative beginner, the weights set up may be a bit much for you in terms of volume. What are your current PB’s? "

I’m really weak and my lifts are: sqt: 205x3, deads: repping 225, bench: repping 155
BW- 142… I know you said it isn’t going to be cookie cutter… but would it be ok to go reasonably heavy on the main lifts (sqts, deads, bench) such as sets of 3-6 at 1 rep shy of failure, and leaving the rest of the assistance exersises at higher reps (such as 6-8)? Could i cut out some of exersises if i feel like its too much?

"4.) You have it correct about the weights switching from upper/lower scheme every other day to going to the total body scheme every other day (on M, W, F). T/Th/Sat you don’t have to do any weights; if you feel it is needed you can possibly add in some bodyweight circuits to help facillitate recovery but you should be getting enough from the M-W-F lifting to give you what you need in terms of HI lifts. "

I don;t quite understand what your saying here… are you saying that i don’t have too follow the outlined scheme of doing upper weights on high days and lower on tempo days for the first two weeks, and instead jsut do full body weights (or split) on mon, wed, fri??

(by the way i would rather do this… sincnce it’s kinda difficult to make it to the gymn 5 days/week)

Also i am confused about the medball graphs… there are three different ones, which you alternate through as said in dvd, bu why are the expolosive (high intesity) med ball days always done on the tempo days? this would make 5 high days in a row?! also the dvd only gives the progression for the first 20 days… what happens after that? do you just stick with the third graph for the remaining weeks?