Need help with velocity badly

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with how to get more top end speed, like is there something I could be doing wrong technique wise or anything else.

My start as I am told is quite good, the meet where I ran my PB of 11.84 I was running closely with two guys for about 40-60m, though they ran 10.92 and 11.18 and are also 7.0x 60m guys. It is pretty evident that either I don’t have the top end speed or I can’t hold it for very long. Anyone know what might be going on?

you could be using all your energy at the start causing your top speed not to be reached and then on top of that your legs would be to tired to keep up the speed that you’ve gotten, try starting slower but with more powerful steps

Chances are you need to work on your special endurance. Workouts such as 3x120 or 2x150 or something similar. Try using the search button, other people have had the same problem as you.

DO NOT try slowing your start, though there are times when people do run too tight and waste energy at the start, this can be fixed by relaxing not running slower.

General conditioning and speed endurance might me something you need to work on as well.

Dropping back a good 7-10 meters in 50 meters to other runners is a very serious lack of speed endurance. If you actually were beside these guys for that amount of time I would say you’re just burning all your energy to get to that point, you’re probably running the 100 like it’s a 60 but you have to save energy for the end of the race. The problem could probably be partially addressed by re-working your start.

Usually the longer practices we have been doing lately have been like (2 x 150m) x 3 to start, and more recently (3 x 150) x 3. But I am never able to finish any of these workouts, I usually end up geither puking and not finishing the last set or i get really close to puking and need to take a really long break. I guess the only way is to try and get more endurance.

Also my start I would say is pretty much the “norm” I come out and I don’t lean at all. There is a straight line through my body as I push off, i guess the textbook way to do starts.

By the way thanks for the input guys

No wonder, that’s waaaay too much volume, and I’m guessing your probably using incomplete recovery as well. Like was mentioned earlier, stick with reps of 2 (3 at the most) at a distance of 120-150m. As a general rule, give yourself at least 1 minute rest for every 10m distance run, so your looking at an average of 12-15 minutes recovery between runs. Also, you can wait even longer between runs if your not fully recovered, but in that case you should be working on your general fitness as well.

Actually, the problem is probably simply a lack of top speed. The other guys keep accelerating and mcsamms doesn’t have the velocity to stay with them. The effect looks the same as if mcsamms is slowing down, but that seems very unlikely at 50m. The other option would simply be that mcsamms is tighening up and therefore actually is slowing down, but I doubt that speed endurance is the issue at 50m.

If you unpeel the onion a bit further, the problem is even more basic than that. This looks more like what CF has talked about as simply the difference between a more advanced sprinter and a less advanced sprinter. Mcsamms can accelerate to maybe 30m, and the 10.9 guy can accelerate to maybe 40 or 50 meters, which is the point at which mcsamms is losing it. By the time the 10.9 guy reaches his top speed, mcsamms is already well behind simply because the 10.9 guy can accelerate to a higher top speed, and the speed-endurance phase hasn’t even started yet. Yes, his top speed is most likely lacking, but it starts with the ability to accelerate long enough to develop that top speed. The problem is perhaps exacerbated because his coach is doing speed endurance wrong (to much volume, not enough rest) so mcsamms is developing endurance of a suboptimal speed, which means he slows down more at the end than he has to.

And so the solution is…the whole process. As everyone who’s been here for a while should know, it starts with strength in the gym and acceleration development on the track, and then, once one can accelerate strongly enough, the top speed can be improved.

Again guys thanks for the input I am going to rest more with ym runs and try out the numbers I’ve seen around the board that you guys were talking about.

I don’t think however that the workouts are too much volume. One of my training partners started off this season at 11.11 seconds and 7.25, and finished his indoor season running 6.84 at the Nike Indoor high school nationals to place third (not too often a white Canadian does that), and recently ran 10.59. The training plan is good, but probably not as good for me at the moment.

i saw him, he looked mean

A few questions:
How old are you?
How long have you been training?
What intensity are you running, and how much recovery are you getting between sets?

Remember as well, quality is more important than quantity. If you can’t finish the workout and are close to puking, then for you, the volume is probably to much. I know Mike has had an amazing year so far, but as you’ve pointed out, perhaps he is at a point in his development where those types of workouts are better suited for him.

FYI, I used to do a lot of volume in the past, but this year I’ve changed my focus to quality over quantity. I’ve been amazed at the difference in performance and quality of workouts. I also don’t fry my CNS as I did in the past.

I’m 17. I’ve been doing this for about 1.5 years. Though my first competition I ran 14.8h and 30.31e I was almost 16 I think. My first 60m was 8.9h just last season, so I’ve knocked off a lot of time as it is, and yeah I definatly started this pretty late and as you can guess I have been horribly inactive my entire life.

As for the intensity in my workouts, its hard to give a percentage, but basically it would be in the 90% and up range. And the recovery is usually 3 or 4 minutes between each run and 8 minutes between each set.

By the way how do you know Mike? And GhettoFlash, he’s not a mean guy at all. I find it funny how there is only like one picture of him form the meet though lol.

well well Mcsamms… we have changed our workouts lately, to less volume and more intensity. You should start coming to practice with us. it may do you some good.
As for the speed endurance, after you’re done driving to about 50m don’t try to push anymore, just let the speed you’ve already gathered carry you to the finish. Try to relax and keep your form. It may feel like your not trying as hard as you can, or going as fast, but I think your results will be better.

i dont know him personally i just remember everytime i saw him there he had this crazy looking mean face, especially when he was running :eek:

At the stage in your development, you definetly need more than 3-4 minutes between runs if the intesity is truely at 90% or >. No wonder you have a though time finishing the workouts. I wouldn’t do more than 2 sets right now, but with 12-15min between sets. The higher the intensity, the longer the rest.

I don’t know him personally, but have been following his progress over the last couple of years. I also saw him run at National Qualif. in June, and he looked very good. I think this kid has a lot of potential, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see in as one of Canada’s top sprinters in a few years.

I am actually Mike, the training partner McSamms (Matt) is referring to.

First of all Matt, I think a major part of your difficulties lies in training consistancy. You seem prone to minor injury, nothing serious but the type of thing that will keep you from being your best on the track for a week or two. Having to stop your training routine at un-designated intervals can really put a dent in your progress.

What you really need is to plan out a full season training plan, starting from the fall, all the way through to the end of the summer. You need to know what meets you will be at well ahead of time. Right now you are training, I think, too much on the micro level. You need to look at your workouts over a 12 month spectrum, and decide exactly when you want to perform.

I would imagine your coaches next year at Dal will be able to help you with this.

Yeah Mike you are totally right that a lot of the problem lies in my training consistency.

Though I can tell you that it isn’t the whole of it.

But I was simply just wondering what I can currently do.