need help with hurdle issues

Ive seen some incredible critique and coaching in this hurdle section and was hoping to get in on the action.

I’m 6’0 tall and am having a very difficult time with the 42s. This past year in training I could clock a mid 14 no problem over 39s over 110m. But with 42s I can’t even break 16, I destroy hurdles and end up bounding half the race. There are probably a lot of factors involved, such as technique issues(I don’t have any consistent advanced hurdle coaching), inconsistent programming, and mobility factors(what is the best way for hurdlers to even train that?)

I need advice on not only technique but specific hurdling workout progressions into my training. I’m doing high/low 6 days a week, and would like to run an 8.5 or better in the 60m hurdles in January as part of a heptathlon. I ran a 9.2auto in Jan of 2014, and handtimed a 8.7 60mh time trial in January of 2015. Those are the only two 60m hurdles race of my life(which I have on film and will combine and post soon, for now I have drill footage in my training journal). I haven’t ran a whole season of 110m races since 2012 in HS on the 39s( ran a best of 15.33, plenty of times should of been sub 15 but hit too many hurdles). Since then Due to my other event work, most of my hurdle training has been miscellaneous drills and starts over 2-3 hurdles at a lower height maybe once a week. I’ve raced the 110m on 42s probably 3-4 times the last 2 years with embarrassing results (high 16s, low 17s). Now its time for me to focus in and make something happen in this event. Please any help is appreciated

Where do you live?
Do you have a coach?
When was the last time you did something regenerative? Do you know what to do to regenerate and whY?
how did you find cf.com?

I live near Stayton, Oregon on my family ranch. I get coached by committee in all the different events. I dont have a hurdles coach and have been searching for someone competent. My regenerative therapy includes hydrotherapy in the whirlpool at 55-60 degrees at least 3 times a week especially after high days. I get a massage once a month. I need to improve my sleep habits for sure and plan on getting into some sauna sessions
I found cf.com through my reading and research, it became quite apparent that Charlie was one of the greatest track coaches and training minds of all time and I needed to dive into his work. It’s amazing where Google will lead you.

I noticed your hurdles are pretty good. I like that you set them up on the grass outside.
Welcome to charliefrancis.com.

Any videos? Would be interested to see you at 39 and 42 from a side view around hurdles 2-3.

Thank you Angela! I try to stay on soft surfaces as much as possible during the offseason, fortunately I have the space and equipment access

here’s a video from today on the 42s.[video]https://youtu.be/yHce1p4CmpY[/video]
and this is a quick video on 39s last week [video]https://youtu.be/HlZUN8OSv9s[/video]

I’ll be going to the track next monday to spike up and will get some more video

One of my biggest technique issues is my inconsistent lead leg. I got into the bad habit of a straight leg lead from day 1 in 2009 and it didnt begin to get dissected and trained differently until 2013, so thats a big emphasis this fall so far

I’m not a hurdles expert, but it seems to me like you may be lifting your head/upper body too quickly which is pushing your trail leg down into the hurdle. Hip flexibility may also be an issue here.

the hips are definitely a work in progress. I’m not exactly sure either how the upper body timing is playing a part here, I was under the impression I’d want to snap off that hurdle as quickly as possible. I’ll experiment with it next session

I think you’re snapping off while your trail leg is still over the hurdle, which results in your trail foot being pushed down and hitting the hurdle.

You may also experiment with more forward lean over the hurdle. The more upright the posture over the hurdle the more mobility required in the hips to not clip the hurdle with the trail leg. The more forward you lean over the hurdle (cause) the more naturally the trail leg lifts (effect) regardless of existing mobility.

At least you are training over 39s rather than 42s as many do but consider doing some of your hurdling over 36s as well. It will promote lower takeoff angles as many who make the transition to the 42s vault them rather than hurdle often soaring over hurdles with far too long of a time in the air and takeoffs too close. You can create faster touchdown times this way. Down and in- low hurdles (perhaps lower than what you’ve been using) and in most cases closer than competition spacing.

Shorten the stride for the takeoff so you can get the foot closer to under the center of mass. Don’t leave the takeoff foot to just land, be active with the shortening of that stride and the hips in a high position in the approach to the hurdle.

Thanks for the input I’ll get on that

Right on. Thanks for the input. Points of emphasis Next practice will be a more forceful cut step and better forward Lean

footage from yesterdays session. [video]https://youtu.be/hwpiy0OOGpI[/video]

recorded touchdown times on the last run from the 4pt start. first hurdle was at regular distance, then the 2nd and 3rd 25 feet apart. hand times were 2.55, 3.60, and 4.62

Right before you get into your takeoff your arms become somewhat passive as in a “gather” for a jump which you can see if you slow-mo the video or pause it quickly as I did. If you could be a little more continuous with the arm action from the previous stride into the takeoff position you’d probably hit a better TO velocity-at no time in a hurdle race whether it’s to H1, between hurdles or over hurdles should your arms stall even slightly-it’s not bad, it could just be a little better. Also limit how much the lead hand crosses the mid-line so you can avoid excessive rotation in the flight and definitely in the touchdown. The lead hand can cross a bit to counter the hip rotation of the lead leg but do your best to minimize how much you cross the mid-line. Bring the lead arm closer to the trail leg with the wrist below and right next to the trail knee-tighten up how close the wrist is to the knee.

I think you might do well to push out of the blocks a bit harder, slightly longer stride length so you are then not left with the feeling that you need to reach in your TO over H1.

no blocks were used yesterday but I’ll make sure to use them when I get them on Wednesday! thanks for the arm tip, I see how that twisting affects the overall velocity. Next session ill try and keep everything moving straight forward

As good a hurdler as Jason Richardson is esp. in past years look at some of his better races from 2012 and late in some of those runs he’d have a ton of excessive rotation often around H6 or 7 and he brings the lead arm way across and with it excessive shoulder rotation on the same side. To counter this he comes into his touchdown very much twisted and therefore having to straighten up just move to the next hurdle. Liu Xiang and Sally Pearson are two of the best to avoid much rotation or the hand crossing the mid-line much or at all. At least they were-maybe Pearson can get back to form.

just watched Xiang in the 04 final. he does an amazing job of cycling the arms through the hurdles.