need help with hurdle issues

I’m not sure how to progress the hurdle workouts. Do I keep running on 39s for the whole training year besides meets? Do I gradually increase the distance between the hurdles? Right now it just seems like a lot of guess work.

If you hurdle 3x/wk you can move them around and do 39s twice and 36s once or switch that early on 36x2 39x1 and possibly over time move to more 39s. If doing 2xweek hurdle work then once at 36 and the other day at 39s. If I’m using 42s its usually just for partial hurdles-trails over sides, leads over sides and maybe a few over the center/top of 42s though not typically as a sprint hurdle run more of a slow to fast build-up into each takeoff which is IMO is a better way to do since you are not trying to hurdle with a race rhythm. Most of our drills (meaning, in this case, slower reps, not full speed) are over 39s with some over 42s. I also usually mix in some flat sprint work with hurdle accelerations, hurdle speed so I usually don’t have a hurdler ONLY hurdling.

If using rhythm endurance for the highs over say 8-12H, you can put some at 36s and some at 39s they don’t have to be the same. There are articles I’ve seen which show the hurdles that certain level performers lose speed at that if going over 39s over say 5H and you know H6 speed tends to drop some you might put in a 36 at say H6 or H7. You’ve also probably seen, though I’ve only done this on a few occasions, is to remove a hurdle so you can bring greater velocity at takeoff since you can now get in 5 strides between hurdles. If you can do this it also helps to overcome the fear of losing control of taking off at higher velocities. It’s this fear of lack of control for some athletes that keeps some hurdlers NOT being active with the takeoff foot. The vaulted takeoff is obviously easier to control but slower and creates a high flight and collapse at touchdown-big drop in velocity. The 5 strides can also be placed in a flight of hurdles when you are aware you might typically be losing some speed, achieving slower touchdowns.

Some will even on occasion lengthen the approach distance to H1 to again allow the athlete to experience a velocity much higher than normally possible in the standard distance to H1 of 13.72m. Some will do go out to 17 or 21m to H1. I don’t do this very often but adding that distance to H1 or removing a hurdle to allow five strides is thought by some to be a way to surpass a plateau, get over some degree of staleness.

Yes, for many they will, as they feel crowded by the (hoped for) improved speed between hurdles requires for some that they move the hurdles back out to closer to (though not likely right at)comp. spacing. Some coaches late in the year will move their athletes back to comp. spacing though I typically don’t do this.

Wowsers I really appreciate the detail in your reply. Sounds like a plan!
Here is the workout for tomorrow: Modified version of Tony Veney
Warm-up Drills/acceleration drills
4-6 starts over 2H set at 8m apart and 39"
4-6 starts over 4H set at 8m apart and 36"
3x30m @ 95% with 3 minutes rest
Bounding/plyo series 3x30m

Re: Veney, I met him years ago once attending a camp as a coach and another as a staff coach where he was also on staff. That sounds fine what you suggest. I will say if you need to go as short at 8m then you need to do that but those are very close for a male HH. Some coaches will take simply move H2 in one foot length from the mark, H3 in either 1 1/2 foot lengths or 2 full foot lengths and so on. Either measure with tape or step it off size 11-12 shoes are going to be roughly 30cm of spacing so if I move H2 (edit.) in one foot length that will be 8.84m and so on. You can either reduce each as described above or keep the first 3-4H at the same spacing and if going longer say out to H6 you might start reducing spacing more from H4 or H5 out to as far as you are going. There are workouts that if doing say 8-12H might either reduce every hurdle OR after H4 again after H6 or 7 when you expect speed losses to be greater and thus you account for this by reducing by more at that point in the flight. So perhaps stick with 8m or a little more and move back out if you feel overly jammed by such close spacing.

There are also programs that have you go over closer to comp. spacing and height (though still reduced spacing and height) but on a purely technical day they reduce the hurdles even more so the very reduced spacing (which I think 8m is getting close to though it may be right for you now) which greatly limits the velocity you can run at and keeps it from being a high intensity day. Tony Wells (a mentor to Veney at one time) would do hard accel. work on a Mon. probably over a few hurdles at close to though not at comp. spacing and height but then come back the next day with 6.5m spacing for women (men would likely be 7.0-7.5 on such days if I had to guess) focusing on lead leg on one rep, trail leg on another rep and trail arm on yet another (down and around, “cut off” the trail leg at the knee with the lead arm). This way someone could get in technical work without great speed though obviously they would need to limit the number of reps of this or it could become too much volume. I don’t do a distinctly tech. day after a speed, acceleration day but I think it’s a valid way to approach hurdle training.

I’ve been away for a bit. Give me a chance to catch up on the posts below. I did want to share two people I can’t recommend enough for therapy near you.

Don Butzner is in Corvalis, and Holley DeShaw in Portland. Both have worked with the best in the world (Aries Merritt, Muna Lee, Ashton & Brianne Eaton, Olympic Team therapists etc) you get the point.

Here is Holley’s info.
http://bikramyogawestlinn.com/oregon-sports-massage-llc/

Don may be harder to see since he has a personal contract with athletes. PM and I can send you his contact info.

Bentz,

Could you provide a sample weekly schedule of training? I’d be interested in seeing a side view of one hurdle as well.

To me, there was a significant change from the grass videos to the track videos. Did you focus on any specific cues for the track session?

I have a lot more to say but want to see your reply first.

Great feedback guys and thank you for your help.
If there is anything specific you have to ask please do and I will answer.
Pioneer and Esti will be of greatest help however because I primarily speak from a female perspective.
If I am able to help I will.

Ange most of my success with males was a result of your advice! :grinning:

thanks for your input it means a lot. Here is some rear footage from Monday’s session, will get side views tomorrow…[video=youtube_share;m8IHYXui3LE]http://youtu.be/m8IHYXui3LE[/video]

the workout was:
dynamic warmup
hurdle drills(lead leg, trail leg, 1-step, 3-step variations)
4x block starts over 2h@ 39" spacing at 27ft between h1 and h2
4x block starts over 4h@ 36" spacing at 29ft
had some really aggressive starts over the 36s. best touchdown time was 2.55, 3.7, 4.9, 6.05

I’m focusing on a couple technique points. Most of my career I was a straight leg lead leg so ive been drilling that out and its still a work in a progress. I’m trying to be more active in the arms and keeping everything moving forward through the middle of the hurdle without excessive twisting or the arms crossing the midline. Pioneer gave me great tips on the arms and being more aggressive with the cut step, so on the 3rd and 4th hurdle there was a distinct difference in how that felt once I got into rythym.

Im very active on Instagram and follow Terry Reese Jr., a 13.2 american back in the 90s. He’s been giving me advice on a tighter trail leg and i would agree on most of his observations. I think the side views will help clarify the finer technical points.

My training week ideally is a Hi/lo split 6 days a week. Today I took off because of job interviews and a lack of sleep. So here is the modified week-

Monday- hi - hurdles, long jump, weights
dynamic warmup
hurdle drills(lead leg, trail leg, 1-step, 3-step variations)
4x block starts over 2h@ 39" spacing at 27ft between h1 and h2
4x block starts over 4h@ 36" spacing at 29ft

4xLJ approach rehearsals
6x 6 step takeoffs

weights- hexbar deadlifts, wall ankle mobs, reverse barbell lunge, ab wheel, DB OH press, TYI shoulder drills
cooldown- limber 11, thoracic spine/lat mobility
hydrotherapy- 20min at 55 degrees
contrast shower

Tuesday- Lo- extensive tempo, javelin technique, medball core work
grass tempo-2800m total volume @75%. 90 seconds rest between reps,
2x200m 6x100m
4x200m
8x100m 1x200m
3 rounds med ball circuit
javelin band drills

cooldown, contrast shower, stretching

Wednesday- OFF

Thursday- Hi- Hurdles, shot,
dynamic warmup
6 stand throws L/R
hurdle warmup drills as subsets
6 glide stops, 6 full throws
subsets
3x 5-step over 6 hurdles @39"
3x 5-step over 6 hurdles @42"

4x block starts over 5h @ 36" 29ft spacing

Weights-upper body variations
cooldow/ therapy

Friday- LO- extensive tempo, jav tech, medball
very similar to tuesday

Saturday- HI- HJ, LJ, hurdles
dynamic warmup
12x HJ approach rehearsal
6x 6 step LJ takeoff
hurdle drills
3x 5-step over 6 hurdles @39", 3x 5-step over 6 hurdles @42"

Weights- lower body variations
cooldown/therapy

Sunday- Active recovery- contrast shower, stretching, self massage

Much appreciated. I’m 10 weeks out from my first heptathlon in Centralia, Washington. I’ll have 3 chances to qualify there for USA indoors (12/5, 1/30, 2/21). The running events will be outdoors. Hurdle touchdown times on 36’s currenty indicate 8.2-8.5 60mh pace. Race goal was sub 8.5, so thats encouraging. How do I realistically progress to 42s in the next couple months? I’ve never had a hurdle specific training block, will running enough reps on the 36s and 39s really prepare me for the bigger sticks? I’m in a lot of unfamiliar territory.

Thanks for sharing a week’s training.

I notice a lot of variance in the spacings and heights. What are the reasons and desired outcomes from these? I do use and recommend using spacings for different outcomes, but am curious your thoughts on it first before I will expand.

Are you going to be able to train outside throughout the winter? I know Oregon weather is “interesting” =)

When designing my plan, I start with my peak and work back. This peak might be indoors or outdoors, depending. For my hurdlers now, we focus on a peak in mid-february. I have talked to them about time goals. From these goals, I have an idea of the splits and touchdowns and sprint speed needed. This allows me to have a target focus in training, and everything then is aimed at those metrics.

I suppose the variance is to work on speed and build rhythm and strength in between the sticks. Most of the hurdle info I’ve read including posts on here suggests to train at lower heights and closer spacing because of the lack of race adrenaline.

Training outside is my only option, Why there aren’t any general indoor facilities available for track and field training in the nation’s most high profile track state is beyond me. Rain or shine, my goals don’t care lol

I’m not sure when or how to design my peak. I’m ten weeks out from the first hep, and will also have chances to qualify for USAs in January and February. The big meet is the second week of march.

I modified the workout on Thursday because I was back in the grass instead of the track due to scheduling issues.

Modified training-thursday 9/30/15Dynamic warmup
A. 6x 1 step drill over 5 hurdles into.box jump
Left&Right side SP stand throw as subset
B. 6x 5 step over 2h @39"
6x 5 step over 4h @39"
C. 12 full shot put throws- experimented with Eaton shuffle for the 1st time. Was hitting much better power positions and adding 3+ feet to marks from last week. Very excited to continue that progression
D. 6x20m hill sprints low grade
3x60m hill medium grade
E. Weights- bench, hip flexor mob, towel pullups, DB bench, cable rows, 1 leg RDL, cooldown
Cooldown

here is video on the day, the focus was a tighter trail leg
[video]https://youtu.be/Cu9MNnVt12M[/video]

and here is slo mo on 42in and 39
[video]https://youtu.be/_EWmjeOlN0o[/video]

im too close at takeoff but feel good about the trail leg progress

I like to keep things simple. For fast hurdle days, I like to set the hurdles at spacings and heights that allow the athlete’s rhythm to be at a goal type effort. If goal splits are 1.0, then I try to get them at that distance and height to achieve it. I use lower heights to help with faster flight times. For my athletes on 39s, we use 36s. I feel this work helps groove the desired rhythm.

I have used use a Hi-Lo hurdle set up. Hi being fast days, things like 3-4x5H, for example, with some 2H starts as well. Using Charlie’s sprinter set up, it’s possible to do a start focus on say Monday, a hurdle endurance focus on Wednedsay and a Max speed day on Friday (Ross’s Zone drill, or some versions where you are approaching hurdles with more speed than is typical. I have used a 5-5-3-3 drill I heard Susanna Kallur’s coach talk about. It was ok for the athlete. You come in for 5 steps, 5 steps, 3 steps 3 steps. The 5 steps allow more momentum and higher velocity for the last 2 hurdles.

My hurdler last year had issues 5 stepping (in fact all my hurdlers struggle with 5 stepping so I barely use it). The zone drill wasn’t good due to stride length issues, so I modified a drill I saw PJ use with one of his hurdlers. We would do 5-6 H, the first 2-3 hurdles were tipped over. and the hurdles got progressively taller for the last 1-2 depending on their coordination and training progress. The shorter hurdles helped take off angles as they became used to sprinting through, gaining speed to work on the last few hurdles at those higher speeds.

On Low days, depending on their background, how they felt etc, we usually did tempo work, but often some type of hurdle technique work. My top male hurdle would do a quick 3 step drill with 5 yd spacing over 36"s (started with 33s). He tended to float over the hurdle, so this forced him to become quicker over top to avoid crashing into the next hurdle.

As I see the slow mo side views, to me I would say you are coming up too soon. I’m not sure of what cue to give you, except maybe be patiently fast. Patient coming up tall on touchdown, but still fast over top.

I might also do the sled.hill type runs on the days I do start focus. Not saying it’s wrong, that’s just what I would do.

Keep posting things, this will be a great journal!

Some of the grass videos I think the lead leg is opening up too early (meaning I believe you need more flexion of the lead leg) and as you say the takeoffs are too close-need to bring the TO angle lower which is of course helped by increasing TO distance. Along with that you can see the TO leg with a significant degree of flexion.

I love the 3 step 5 step workouts, my freshman year I used to run side by side with our 14 second guys in that drill on the 39s, it was a blast!
I think the coming up too fast problem will be solved with more speed. I was jogging and doing light 5 stepping in both of those drills. We’ll see how it goes on the track next week

[video]https://youtu.be/jexxM-_oqwE[/video]
[video]https://youtu.be/wp9MaJHNx5k[/video]

Monday 10/5/15
warmup, drills
4x 4 starts over 2h @39" moved one space in
4x 4 starts over 4h@36" moved one space in
2x30m flys
weights

heres video from Mondays practice. It was a strange session, my warmup and drills felt amazing, very explosive. But when I got in the blocks and started the workout It felt really slow and flat. I wasn’t very happy with the trail leg compared to the previous session, I wasnt able to get the trail foot tight underneath me and down at full speed. And when I moved up to 4 hurdles getting through the 3rd and 4th was very floaty, felt like i was on the verge of puddle jumping. It didnt inspire much confidence. Despite this my touchdown times were in the 8.3-8.6 pace range, but the 42s will be less forgiving at normal spacing…

HI/LO is starting to pay off. this past monday I had a great speed session with the hurdles. on my starts over 2h at 39" 28ft spacing, I had the fastest touchdown times to date. I’m looking forward to building on this in SPP
[video]https://youtu.be/juCKhX1X0VU[/video]

I think fall training thus far has been successful. I’ve been doing lots of drills and running over 2-5 hurdles in my reps, 1-2 sessions per week since september and Im starting to regain my hurdle swagger and build some confidence. This is a video of me from November 6th going over 4h at 28ft distance in between at 42 inches. Its the first time I’ve ever truly sprinted through a set on 42s. What a rush! touchdown times indicate I’m on track to meet my goals for the indoor season:]

//youtu.be/Lw7UCdaliYM

Looks really good Bentz.