Navy SEALS Training

Good Morning Everybody,

I remember surfing the net a couple of months ago and I fell upon this website demonstrating a pre-enrolment of the US Navy SEALS. I believe it was a 6 or 8-week training program consisting of running, push-ups, sit-ups and swimming.

Does anybody know where I can find this training program?

I remember seein this program a few years ago and being surprised that it was pretty progressive. It’s easy to be misled by thoughts of the “hell week” they put them through. Actually the armed forces spent a great deal of effort on improving it’s fitness training post-Vietnam and a lot of good work was done by Dr Wright among others.

I find the mental element of military training or mental toughness of special foreces very interesting and I feel has something to offer to team sports especially where men have to rely on each others skills and never-say-die attitude … toughts?

As a x-military man, I can tell you that most military training is based on building endurance/mental and physical toughness.

How do they build on mental toughness?

Go to the net and search for “bud/s warning order”. That should point you in the right direction. I’ve got a US GOV Navy Seal Training manual circa 1996. It has some pretty brutal stuff in it…and some pretty good stuff…it also begins to cover stuff they’ve dropped because of injury potential. I once, when I had alot of spare time, did a comparison of this manual’s programs and Herschel Walker’s Basic Training Programs. Herschel’s program is harder…although very similar in the main points. The only real difference I can see is the emphasis on swimming with the SEAL program and the emphasis on sprinting with the HW program.

discovery channel shows alot of programmes on NS training.i think they have something called hell week which sounds and looks very difficult indeed.real deal is correct about the personnal toughness an individual must have to start with.

two words…ice baths!

The Seals take care of that for you, in the Ocean, during “hell week.” Only, instead of a minute, you stay in for hours!

As I was shivering in the Atlantic a couple months ago, I was thinking how tough those (literally) numbnuts are. I was whining about a few minutes of 65 degree-ish H2O while they are forced to be in it for hours in colder water I am sure.

Originally posted by Chivas989
How do they build on mental toughness?

By combining physical stress with “mind games.” It can be as simple as having you hold your arms out for 15min, while having a training instructor colorfully “encouraging” you to give up and quit the program. Sleep depravation is always another good one…

Bohersch is correct about being able to find more info on the net.

Btw, I believe former governor Jesse “The Body” Ventura was also a Navy Seal. And we know how tough he was/is.

I used to work with a guy who was a Frogman before they had SEALS. I asked him how he managed to get through the brutal training. He told me that he said to himself: “They can kill me and eat me but they can’t make me quit.”

For a full accounting of what it takes to become a Navy SEAL, The book THE WARRIOR ELITE, The Forging of Class 228 by Dick Couch is a must read. Captain Dick Couch, a Viet Nam era SEAL led the last major rescue of POWs during the Viet Nam war. It is an excellent book.

I found what I was looking for. This is it.

Exercise								

Week Day Run Swim Push-Ups Sit-Ups Pull-Ups
1 Sunday 15 Minutes
Monday 2 Miles 4 x 15 4 x 20 3 x 3
Tuesday 15 Minutes
Wednesday 2 Miles 4 x 15 4 x 20 3 x 3
Thursday 15 Minutes
Friday 2 Miles 4 x 15 4 x 20 3 x 3
Saturday 15 Minutes
2 Sunday 15 Minutes
Monday 2 Miles 5 x 20 5 x 20 3 x 3
Tuesday 15 Minutes
Wednesday 2 Miles 5 x 20 5 x 20 3 x 3
Thursday 15 Minutes
Friday 2 Miles 5 x 20 5 x 20 3 x 3
Saturday 15 Minutes
3 Sunday 20 Minutes
Monday 5 x 25 5 x 25 3 x 4
Tuesday 20 Minutes
Wednesday 5 x 25 5 x 25 3 x 4
Thursday 20 Minutes
Friday 5 x 25 5 x 25 3 x 4
Saturday 20 Minutes
4 Sunday 20 Minutes
Monday 3 Miles 5 x 25 5 x 25 3 x 4
Tuesday 20 Minutes
Wednesday 3 Miles 5 x 25 5 x 25 3 x 4
Thursday 20 Minutes
Friday 3 Miles 5 x 25 5 x 25 3 x 4
Saturday 20 Minutes
5 Sunday 25 Minutes
Monday 2 Miles 6 x 25 6 x 25 2 x 8
Tuesday 3 Miles 25 Minutes
Wednesday 6 x 25 6 x 25 2 x 8
Thursday 4 Miles 25 Minutes
Friday 2 Miles 6 x 25 6 x 25 2 x 8
Saturday 25 Minutes
6 Sunday 25 Minutes
Monday 2 Miles 6 x 25 6 x 25 2 x 8
Tuesday 3 Miles 25 Minutes
Wednesday 6 x 25 6 x 25 2 x 8
Thursday 4 Miles 25 Minutes
Friday 2 Miles 6 x 25 6 x 25 2 x 8
Saturday 25 Minutes
7 Sunday 30 Minutes
Monday 4 Miles 6 x 30 6 x 30 2 x 10
Tuesday 4 Miles 30 Minutes
Wednesday 6 x 30 6 x 30 2 x 10
Thursday 5 Miles 30 Minutes
Friday 3 Miles 6 x 30 6 x 30 2 x 10
Saturday 30 Minutes
8 Sunday 30 Minutes
Monday 4 Miles 6 x 30 6 x 30 2 x 10
Tuesday 4 Miles 30 Minutes
Wednesday 6 x 30 6 x 30 2 x 10
Thursday 5 Miles 30 Minutes
Friday 3 Miles 6 x 30 6 x 30 2 x 10
Saturday 30 Minutes
9 Sunday 35 Minutes
Monday 4 Miles 6 x 30 6 x 30 3 x 10
Tuesday 4 Miles 35 Minutes
Wednesday 6 x 30 6 x 30 3 x 10
Thursday 5 Miles 35 Minutes
Friday 3 Miles 6 x 30 6 x 30 3 x 10
Saturday 35 Minutes

Do Not Rest		Alternate between		
	Between Sets!		exercise

That looks familiar

Sorry, it was on an Excel spreadsheet and I did a copy and paste. I can send it to you if you wish.

www.getfitnow.com (forum) ; socnetcentral.com ; specialtactics.com are some very good sites. Also. www.stewsmith.com is a good one. Stew works with many aspiring SEALs, Special Forces, etc…

Hey guys,

I can attest that the absolute worst thing you can do to someone (in the military, anyway) is deprive them of food and/or sleep for a week. I went to Marine Scout/Sniper School, and I hallucinated during the final exercise (3 MRE’s and about 5 hrs. of sleep in 5 days). I heard a story about a guy putting change into a tree because he thought it was a Coke machine. Sweet, huh?

I can understand why the military would want to develop mental & physical toughness for these soldiers, but I am curious if there has been any studies out there showing any negative physical or mental effects due to this type of training. Then again, if there were, I bet the military wouldn’t exactly make it public either.

I don’t know about military training but there was a study done last year as part of an ultra endurance race here on the effect of sleep deprivation and exercise etc. I’ll see what I can find out.

Here is a small bit about it, I’ll see if the full results were released.