narrow vs "powerlifting" squats?

For their ego? It is their sport. That’s like saying Mo Green wants to run fast “for the ego”. Alright really bad example :rolleyes:

Do not try to be specific in the weight room. You should try to strengthen the muscles involved (which goes hand in hand with recruiting MU’s) in your sport and prevent injuries. Most athletes would benefit more form the added p-chain development gained from wide stance squats. This being said I don’t think it’s really necessary to squat sumo
, for great p-chain development, because there a limting returns at a certain point the wider you go the more depth you have to give up. The widest I squat is in the position I catch a clean in.

For their ego? It is their sport. That’s like saying Mo Green wants to run fast “for the ego”. Alright really bad example :rolleyes:

Do not try to be specific in the weight room. You should try to strengthen the muscles involved (which goes hand in hand with recruiting MU’s) in your sport and prevent injuries. Most athletes would benefit more form the added p-chain development gained from wide stance squats. This being said I don’t think it’s really necessary to squat sumo
, for great p-chain development, because there a limting returns: at a certain point the wider you go the more depth you have to give up. The widest I squat is the width I catch a clean in.

thats what im saying, one isnt better than the other, why not just go with the athletes preferencE?

I can’t say I know anything about Ben’s training – ok, something – but surely not what stance he felt comfortable with. Nevertheless, I don’t think auxiliary movements (if treating them as supplementary is advisable?) were incorporated into his training because of ‘how he performed the squat’. Notwithstanding my lack of expertise in this matter, I would go with a normal squat; that being medium-wide stance – aka ‘normal’ squat.

Hi bobsled guy…I pushed in bobsled this winter…in national competitions in italy( my first year)…as I understand, most of the guys out there in bobsled use Oly style full squats, italians, swiss canadians and so on…I feel that, expecially at the start of the push in the brakeman position, the knee flexion is generally very high, and so an oly style makes sense…btw, I’ve heard lots of different protocols on training for bobsled…we can share opinion here on a dedicated thread or private messaging poweronice…
see ya,…

Sorry…I was refering more to the high school kids who like to lift wide stance so they can put up bigger numbers…not competitive lifters…

just regarding the general discussion, i found it interesting that no one mentioned glutes specifically. Hamstrings should activate after glutes,if you dont learn this, you load them to much creating a highter risk of tearing. Regardless of the postion, accleration or top end your hammies will allways be switched on but they should not be thought of as a prime mover in running. I just noticed a previous post where someone stated that hamies only come into play at top end, If you activate glutes first your hammies are safer due to the fact that your achieveing hip extension which results in high hip position, nulifying a sitting pos, which loads the hammies. Your glutes are crutial to triple extension, your glutes are the stongest muscles and largest. Quads are over rated, but are necessary extension (2nd phase) and also provide an effective suport in preventing limb colapse (bracing) but it is where glutes provide the most important, initial phase of triple extension and also stay on throught the whole 3 phases. Box squats provide the que of loading the glutes first by placing them on stretch. Good mornings as well. If you want to jump forward you need hip projection. The start positon in bob is the same as the standing long jump in the inital concetric phase ( Ass back loading glutes) the swiss testing protocal for bob is 3 and 5 bunnies. ( double leg).

Box squats provide the que of loading the glutes first by placing them on stretch. Good mornings as well. If you want to jump forward you need hip projection. The start positon in bob is the same as the standing long jump in the inital concetric phase ( Ass back loading glutes) the swiss testing protocal for bob is 3 and 5 bunnies. ( double leg).[/QUOTE]
t makes sense, still I think the majority of bobsledders train with full and front squat…do you have direct experience on working with some of them?

Wouldn’t full either front and back squats provide the same load/stretch on the glutes? I always thought so… :wink:

keep legs closer rather than further apart, remember running is legs close together
so why would you squat with them far apart.

ciao

So…this is me giving power on ice some advice…lol

My coach is a 4 times olympic bobsledder and has coached a national team and a medal winning team.

You need to get the right advice pal…

Bobsled is a linear movement pure anerobic event and max strength,lean mass and power are very important…as are lumbar mobilty and core strength.

Power cleans and snatch and high pulls and deadlifts are so much more sport specific than squats…

I would however point out that if you have a front squat 1rm of 205 kg you would have an advantage…this is why I am taking my very experienced coaches advice and making a comeback! be seeing you

Ehy Man, how do you dela with resisted sprinting in off season?

I stay away from resisted sprints until I have completed my hypertrophy and max strength training cycles.

Weighted vest sprints and medicine ball throw sprints followed by a sets of sled pulls with 10 to 20 kg work well…this is only done after power conversion in the gym, box jumps and leg drillls.

The sessions should follow the following…

On the flat for 1 week then uphill for 2 week followed by sport specific downhill pulls…only a slight gradient of about 3% with a bank to step onto so the sled passes past and not through you!