My Summer training, need your guys opinions!!!

Okay I’m a 400m runner, 21 years old, I’m 5’9” and I fluctuate between 165 to 180 pounds

PR’s

100m – 10.67 (high school PR, I haven’t ran the open 100 in years, I’ve been mainly running 4x1, 400m, 4x4 at meets)
200m – 21.4 (ran this time in my first meet of the year, only time I ran a 200 this year, again I usually just run the 400 and both relays at meets)
400m – 46.7
600m – 1:19.0 (hand timed at practice, seemed like we ran a 600 every Tuesday this year, don’t ask me why, my coach is weird like that, but anyway slowest I ever ran them in was 1:22 and I was pretty much running them by myself, closest teammate was usually a good 2 seconds behind)

This’ll be my 4th year in this program starting next year, we’ve always had a weight program, I’ve just never taken it all that serious, but I am going to now. My goal is stop fluctuating between 165 and 180 (I think the best weight for me when I run is under 170) and I plan on doing that by becoming more discipline with my diet. I’ve never put much thought into my diet I’ve always eaten what I want when I want, I have the tendency to pig out on junk food.

Here’s what I plan on doing in terms of my eating habits starting in June…

Eating habits

Breakfast (8:00 AM)– a bowl of oatmeal (not the instant kind) and a piece of fruit or maybe some Yoplait fruit yogurt

Snack (10:00 AM) – myoplex lite

Lunch (12:00 PM) – piece of meat (chicken or fish), some vegetables and a piece of fruit or maybe some Yoplait fruit yogurt

Snack (2:00 PM) – myoplex lite

Post workout (workout starts at 3:00 PM) – myoplex lite

Dinner (6:00 PM) – piece of meat (chicken or fish), some vegetables and a piece of fruit or maybe some Yoplait fruit yogurt

Here’s some more about me and the way I run the 400. The way my coach has me run a 400 is he has my get out as hard as I can the first 50, get into a rhythm and float on the backstretch, work the curve with the goal being to be in front at 300m and hopefully be able to maintain that lead thru the finish line. I usually go along with this strategy, and I’ve gotten to where I can run a strong 350 no problem, but seems like I always tense up that last 50 no matter what.

My goal with summer training is to lose some weight, tone up, gain strength (lots of it), so here are two programs I’m trying to decide which one will best help me to get where I want to be.

Program 1

Monday, Wednesday, Friday

• Weight training

Tuesday

• 2 miles

Tuesday

• Stadium (5 x hops, 5 x lunges, 5 x right leg, 5 x left leg, 5 x both legs)

Saturday, Sunday

• Rest

or

Program 2

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday

• Weight training, followed by Stadium (5 x hops, 5 x lunges, 5 x right leg, 5 x left leg, 5 x both legs)

Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday

• Rest

Another thing to keep in mind is that I’ll be working at UPS on week days (Monday thru Friday) from 4 to 8 in the morning lifting boxes or whatever else they have me lift. I’d love to hear from you guys on which program you think is the best to do. I’m probably gonna start next week, so I can get a good three months in before school starts back up and we head into conditioning in September.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I’ll be working at UPS on week days (Monday thru Friday) from 4 to 8 in the morning

Breakfast is at 8:00 as well. When will you sleep? Saturday and Sunday? Bedtime must be at 7 PM.

If body compostion and strength are your goals then I would lean towards workout 2, weight train 3 times a week, but add tempos runs with a moderate to short RI and scrap the 2 mile run. Your next competitive season is 8-10 months away. Give your brain and body a chance to recover.

usually with school and then me being social and going out with friends and what not I’ll get to bed around midnight

I start work at 4 AM and I’ll usually get off just before 8 AM, those meal times aren’t always approximate, but I usually do eat around those times

Looking back at my usual regular routine, yea I don’t get that much sleep, but hey I’m a college student what do you expect? I do sneak in naps whenever I can tho

I agree with Thomas, YOU NEED TO GET MORE THEN 4 HOURS OF SLEEP

Try to include protein shakes and multivitamins into your diet as well