My Sprint Training Journal + WS4SB

Friday 3/27/09:
Beautiful day. 61 degrees no clouds…ahhh…

Trackwork:
Seagrave warmup
–10 min rest 125 rep ab circuit plus catch with football–
–10 min rest 100 rep ab circuit plus catch with football–
–20 min rest
2x100 (14.34ht, 14.28ht)
60 @ 8.23ht

Got videos of all the reps except the 200. My friends were training with me today so the lazyasses that didn’t want to go past 100 timed and recorded me. Ill put em up in a few.

Edit:
Videos as I promised.

1st rep of the day 100m>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6xiWuAsgsI

2nd rep of the day 150m (watch in HQ you’ll love it)>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GICiCwDEVSE

4th rep of the day 100m (14.34ht)>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYmfWf4uyG4

5th rep of the day 100m on my own (14.28)>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XntFB6TtoPE

6th and final rep 60m (got my revenge on these idiots)>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYRTlrtxkQM

Notes from vids: I realized I flail my arms like a little girl and when I am at or near full speed, my back is up all the way…

Mauricio (10.8 100, 24.2 200, 7.4 60) is my best friend for 10 years and the fastest guy on the team and next year’s captain…my boy is growing up. I just have a smile on my face on that 150 and how he burnnnnnt me lol.

Tips on how to fix these baby probs??

RELAX!!!

Re arms

[i]Ensure the correct arm action is established before all else. The hands remain at 90 degrees and come to the body’s mid line at eye level and DOWN to the point of the hip. Practice in front of mirror to ensure the correct angle is maintained and arms are going down not back. The arms may straighten slightly at the bottom but this is due to the force exerted and should never be an intentional action. At the top make sure the arms don’t lose the 90 degree angle and come in too close, that way the shoulders stay down. With the shoulders down they can rotate which in turn enhances hip rotation. Stride length is greatest when the knee is at its farthest from the body. Hip rotation gives an extra inch and /2 per stride for nothing.

Hands open or closed? Not important so long as thumbs are up and hands relaxed. [/i]

from http://the-elite-edge.com/main.php?go=viewPost&pID=35

Really??? I dont feel tense at all with my arms. But it sounds right since my arms are all over the place and flailing around like a girl.

I meant to relax in general not specifically your arms.

ahh there you got me. I force the motion with my legs a little much I’ve noticed myself.

Monday 3/30/09:

Single Leg Box Jump - 2x10
–Standing Broad Jumps - 2x4

Military Press- 4x8
T-bar row- 4x8
Pec Dec-3x15
Incline DB curl- 4x8
Decline triceps extension-4x8

Burpee into Pullup 2x10
Incline Leg Raises 3x15
–Decline Crunches 3x15
Burpee into Pullup 2x10

Meet tomorrow…probably going to make it my last HS meet…

Tuesday 3/31/09:
Spring Series #1
Jamaica High School–Back home where I spent my summer days at :smiley:
100m: 13.2 PR!!
200m: 24.9 PR!! :confused:

I missed coming here everyday during the summer…these coaches taught me what track was about and made it really fun…boy it was a coming out party for me today…Homecooking was nice…I missed this place and the coaches and the fellas from the school…

Most importantly…I PR’d in both events and did it against the same people in both races haha…

For the 100m, there was no finish line…I came in 2nd against the same guy I matched up with in the 200…he ran an 11.5-11.7…he is our rival HS’s starting corner and he showed his speed…I just raced my race and didn’t let him control the tempo…if anything, I tried my best not to lose badly to him…

The 24.9 is definitely wrong because I’m assuming the officials matched up my number with the wrong lane…I came in 3rd in my 200 heat where I was going against two 24s…I did a 26/27 at best…but either way, PR!!

Why did you workout the day before your meet?

I don’t like missing my workouts…be it track or weights…and these meets are mini meets…just Spring Series meets…not exactly intense.

The championship’s 6 weeks away…that’s when I will tune my workout schedule to fit that week.

Wednesday 4/1/09:
So…I ran a 24.9 on my 200??? APRIL FOOLS MUCH?!! Im not buyin that hahaha.

So…I still wanna run a 24.9 in the future and therefore, I am gonna keep on training for it!!

Deadlift- 6x5,5,5,3,3,1 (@ 250 PR)
Bulgarian split squat- 4x8
Leg curl- 4x15
Wrist curl- 3x20
Reverse wrist curl - 3x20
Floor Crunches with feet 90 degrees 3x50
–Lying Side Crunch 3x25 each side

Burpee+Pullups 5x5

Notes: Good workout…not too stressing. I PR’d on the deadlift with no struggle, I could have repped it 3 but I didnt take the risk…

Track meet tomorrow…gonna be another good one…

Thursday 4/2/09:
Spring Series #2

Francis Lewis High School
100m: 13.2
200m: 27.7

Notes: 100 felt really fast and loose. I was relaxed in both races and my friend wanted to race me in the 200 so I made sure I was in the same meet as him. He jogged an easy 25 on me and I came third in that heat while he came first. As for the 100, I came second in that as I had a lean in the end to cross before this dude that looks like Dr. Dre…

Also, my coach tells my I have “closed legs” and that I have to open my strides up. I need help with this, how can I do that??? :confused:

Sunday 4/5/09:
Happy 65th Bday to my Pops and Happy 28th Bday to my sis!!

6 hours of football at the park…Just super sore and hungry…still hungry…and tired…ahhh

Monday 4/6/09:
Squats- (Warmup: 12, 10, 8) 4x6 (275, 295, 315, 335 PR!!)
Single leg bent leg deadlift- 4x8,8,6,6
Leg curl- 4x8

Incline Bent Leg Raises 3x15
+Decline Crunches 3x15

10x30s sprint, 30s jog @ 10.0mph @ 8.0 incline

Pullups 3x12,6,6

Note: PR felt good…hahaha.

as far as closed legs I’m not sure exactly what he means but you may want to add some bounds to your training to make sure you are achiving full triple extension of your legs

Thursday 4/9/09:

Deadlift 6x3,3,3,3,2,2
Bench 3x8,5,3

Weighted Chins
BW+10x5,5,5
BW+15x5,4
BWx6

Hypers 3x12

Abs:
Hanging Leg Raises + Hanging Knee Raise 3x12,10,8
++Woodchopper using 10lb plate 3x10

Cable Crunch 3x15

Monday 4/13/09:
1 hour of pickup basketball
3x30 on soccer field >>turf
3x60 on soccer field

Gym (props to my man RJ for helping me make a weight program that’s suitable for me):
Lunges 3x12 on each side (increasing from 35lb DBs to 45lbs for last set)
DB Incline Bench Press 4x10 (from 35 to 50)
Single Leg Hypers 4x12 each side
Chest Supported Row on Incline Bench 4x12 (from 30 to 45)

10x30s sprint, 30s jog @10mph @8.0 incline

Incline Leg Raises 3x20
–Decline Crunches 3x20

1x60s sprint @12mph @7.0 incline

Notes: Man I was brick as hell for about my first 30 mins in basketball. My drives weren’t sharp and crisp and my shots were just bricking left and right. My defense and rebounding improved a lot. My lateral quickness. As I am a point guard, I distributed the ball and found open teammates and gave them good looks. But this was a rookie team and they just sucked…so obviously, I took over the second half and just scored at will.

As for the trackwork, it felt really light and easy on the turf. Did a few skips and bounds before I ran my sprints.

Weights felt really good and challenging and the workout was really short. Once again, I gotta give props to RJ for helping me out with the program. The SL Hypers were right on, they were hitting my hams and glutes hard.

No problem, man. I can’t believe you went with 12 reps on the lunges though. Those things are ass-kickers. Just make sure your front shin is roughly perpendicular to the ground at the bottom of each lunge and your weight is on the heel.

Focusing on lunges and hypers will fix your quad dominance and build you a big backside in no time.

EDIT: Also, if it’s at all possible, do walking lunges. They’re better (p-chain recruitment wise) than the standard version.

lol yeah they were ass kickers. You just read my mind. I was getting bored after my 2nd set of stationary lunges. I’m going to do walking lunges in next week’s workout.

Thursday 4/16/09:
3x30
3x100 in soccer field
1x200 (decelerated for 10m around goalpost and accelerated again)

Bulgarian DB Split Squats
3x8 (right)
3x8 (left)
Progressed from 40lbs to 45lbs to 50lbs

Incline DB Press 3x12 (40, 45, 50)

Single Leg DL
3x12 (left)
3x12 (right)
(20, 25, 30 lbs)

Chest Supported Row 3x12 (30, 35, 45)

Chins 3x8
Rope Crunches 4x25
Choppers using plates 2x15 (10lb), 12 (25lb) each side

12x30s sprint, 30s jog @ 10.5 mph and @ 8.5 incline

Notes: Didn’t really take advantage of my spring break as much as I expected. I’m not going to make excuses because I have rehearsals from 8AM-4PM every day of the week. I just really slacked off track wise.

As for the play, everything is going great and we are way ahead of progress. The play will show in two weeks and the whole cast has already got down their lines and have acted out the entire play x amount of times…and we start in two weeks!! It’s all tweaking from here!!

Monday 4/20/09:
Happy National Weed Day to all!! And no I did not smoke…I was looking more forward to my workout after school.

Walking Lunges 4x12 (3olb to 50lb)
Incline DB Press 4x12 (30lb to 50lb)
Single Leg Hyper with 25lb plate
2x12 (right)
2x12 (left)
Chest Supported Row 4x12 (25lb to 45lb)

Incline Leg Raises 3x25
–Decline Crunches 3x25

15x30s sprint, 30s jog @8.5-10.0 incline @10.5mph

Notes: Great workout. It is pouring outside…It’s going to be like this all week long…April showers :rolleyes: