My quest for 6.7

Specially when you scarf two big bowls of ice cream.

Mans a pig.

It has protein…

Sounds good, and some good goals there. What are you going to do with the weights and plyos when you’re gonna be racing? Just limit them to once a week?

Have you ever thought about doing contrast training? It’s fairly proven to be highly a highly effective stimulus to taper off from, which always leads to very nice PBs.

And im wondering, why do you think you wont get faster than 10.4-10.5?

What is contrast training?

Resisted sprints, followed by overspeed + one flat sprint (maybe) with tailwind

So an example can be

3-4x25m w/ a sled pulling about 10% BW into a headwind

3x flying 30m on a slight downhill w/ tailwind

1x 60m or flying 30m on the track w/ tailwind

I’ve only did it once, and got good results from it. I did 3x30m sled, 3x flying 30m (very strong tailwind) on the track, and 1x60m with the same tailwind.

So If you got a really strong tailwind, it’ll probably be a good idea to do it on that day.

How many days from your comp?

Mine was 7 days out from the first competition, and 14 days from my second one. I got the better PBs after 14 days, but bad weather, soft track, headwind was likely the reason I didnt get it after 7 days.

When it was talked about on this forum, most people mentioned this was a good workout to use before doing a 10 day taper. If you’re someone running mid 10s, or even high 10s/11.0 it’s practically a must that everything be completely sub max after this workout for 7-10 days.

Sounds like an interesting plan. Might give it a try. The whole idea of this is to provide a really high stimulus before the taper?

Ever done stimulation weights before sprints to have a similar effect? Like 3x2 squats with an easy yet heavy weight. Then do some sprints.

Ya that’s the basic idea of it, think of it as a “super stimulus” :smiley: lol.

But someone on here I think took a lot of time off their 150 just a few days after, without any sort of taper.

I’ve never tried anything with weights before doing sprints, mostly cause going into the gym and getting out and going to the track, takes quite some time for me lol…

Raining again today so I went inside.

2x210m (24.2, 24.2)

They felt pretty decent. My indoor times are always slower. My CNS was still a little trashed from the max lifting on sunday so this is a lower CNS day.

4x5 bench @ 255

syrus, How many days of the week do you usually perform these main lifts?.

And usually on which days?.

One day per week and after my special endurance.

I use the high reps as assistance work that is easier on the CNS along with the special endurance.

Rain and cold again today, as usual.

1x60m
3x120m (12.81,12.94,12.90)
4x30m blocks

6x10 bounds

15x hop and throw 8kg

Back squat 1x5@315, 1x5@355, 1x5@385

I can’t remember the last nice training day I had outside. This is killing me. My times seem to be consistent but in worsening conditions. 12.75 done in nice conditions vs 12.81 done in garbage weather. Hope there is some progress there. But I’ll have to wait until some nice weather comes around to see. The pb’s in lifting have been coming even though my lifting volumes are very low.Hope this is also an indication of progress

Easy week- Rain and headwinds

1x120m (13.06)
1x150m (16.5)
1x100m (10.97)

My legs werent feeling all that great. Couldnt catch a break with the wind, was a weird cross wind that would gust at random times. I cut the accels and plyos and did 1 less sprint. On thursday I’ll only be doing 2 sprints.

5x1 cleans @ 225
10 forward toss 8kg medball

Supposed to be nice on tuesday so hopefully it will turn out.

I got invited to the National Bobsled Development Camp in July. I’m just ironing out the details for the flight, but I think I will be attending.

Ideally I would have prepped for this with more thorough training. I was debating on whether I was going to wait a year before going down. I could have put in a year of solid specific preparation for it and really performed well. Instead I’m going in with my 200m training. It will have to do I suppose.

Nicest day its been in 3 weeks. No rain, bit of clouds, 61F/15C. Thats the best that I’ve got to work with for now.

I thought I’d have a 200m time trial today to see where I’m at. Seeing as I’ve been training specifically for the 200, and have been avoiding the exact distance I needed to know where I stood.

1x200m 21.75s

Fairly pleased with that. Based off of my 210’s I would have guessed I was in shape to run a 22 flat. But those 210’s have been run in crap conditions so this time is on par with that. Technically I tried to focus on my curve, which is usually all over the place. I focused on hugging the inside of the lane with a good and aggressive lean. Hit the straight and felt nice and tall, started to fall apart after 150m. In a real race with people around me I tend to be much stronger at the finish with people to chase/fend off.

4x5 Bench Press @ 265

how useful would you find doing 210-250m sprints vs. going out to 300m?

I think it depends on what type of athlete you’re dealing with. Some, like me, are big lactic acid producers and some are better at dealing with it. For those athletes that are lactic acid disabled, 250-210 work is great for the 200m. For those with the capacity to handle the 300s, then I would say there is some benefit for the 200m.

If you look at the 200 splits when running a 210, 250 and 300 you’ll notice you get further away from your goal 200m pace. When I first started running 250s, my 200m pace was in the 23.x. So this was not directly helping me run a 21.x 200m. While my 200 split in a 210 would be somewhere in the 22 area. Whereas if I ran 300s it would take me so long to get to a pace that would actually begin to transfer to my 200m (not saying running a blazing 200m in a 300m, but rather to get the energy system transfer). So it depends on the individual’s strengths as long as one distance intensifies the next one appropriately.

Another beautiful day out there. Best one yet. Ran the runs with the wind, I wouldnt say they were illegal winds but they were definitely healthy.

1x120m 12.44s
1x150m 16.08s

3x30m accels

10x forward medball throw 8kg

Squats 1x5 @ 315, 1x5 @ 365, 1x4 @ 395

Wussed out on the 395. I dont like the feeling of a slow lift so I called it quits on rep 4/5. My weights coach said that I could have gotten 6 no prob but I’m content with that for now.