My quest for 6.7

Is this something CF does? Sounds like something the Brits would do.

Not sure if CF does it. Initially I was planning on continuing a FEF progression of running. I was throwing the idea of starting at FEF over 80m then adding a EFEF for 100m and then FEFEF for 120m. For a progression over a 3 month period.

Then I noticed Craig Pickering’s log on Elitetrack, where he does essentially the EFEF except its probably more like a straight 100m with 2 timed sections.

I ended up just sticking to a straight up flying 40m from a 40 build up. I might try out a flying 50m from a 40m build up.

Goodluck bro!! I would have done ins/outs over 150 vs the double flys. This week I’m starting to do 2x150 (50 at 80%-50 at 95% - 50 at 80%)

How often do you sprint 100%?

I think the term 100% on this forum means pb. So the frequency that I set a personal best is not very often. And so we quantify the other runs that we don’t set personal bests at as less than 100%.

So by definition I dont run 100% very often. Most of the time I would say is spent in the 98-99% zone.

Speed that is more controlled with an intensity limit of acceleration can be considered 95%.

I’ve done ins/outs over 150m and am a big fan of them.

Like I said goodluck, hope you have better success this outdoor season.

Does that include tempo work? Almost all of your sprinting is done at aprox 98% intensity-- or is your tempo work at 65% or so? Im trying to clarify for my own training. :cool:

No the tempo is done below 75%. About 65% seems about right.

SE day:

Warm up
3x20m accels

2x230m (27.7s, 27.2s)

Had to workout inside today because it was pretty cold outside. The times were not too bad. Wanted to bring some more speed in and take them out harder. The first one I finished and had a lot left, so on the last one I took it out. There were some girls in the lane, three side by side, so I had to go out real wide off a corner. Given that I’d say it could’ve been slightly faster. My goal is to run sub 26s outdoors, I’m probably pretty close to that already given that my 250s were about 1.2s faster outdoors.

3x10 squats @ 275
4x12 weighted hip thrusts
3x8 bench press @ 245

How much rest?

about 15 mins.

Takes me forever to recover from these. I suck with lactic, my body has no clue what to do with it.

Are you going from a flying start or static standing?

Just a standing start. I time them myself with a stopwatch in hand, and start the stopwatch right before I start the run.

8x20m starts alternating isorobic and blocks

They didnt feel all that powerful. There was a bunch of highschool kids at the track clouding the lanes and the starts were hit and miss. Didnt get a great chance to work on form.

4x flying 60m (from 40 run in)

Felt pretty good. Ran with the wind. Pretty significant wind. Had an odd time maintaining form after about 30-40m in to the fly zone. Wasnt sure if I felt my hamstring on the first one because I tried to push the speed after the 40 fly which I had previously been used to. So I relaxed and focused on staying tall on the last 20m of the fly. Felt much better and no hamstring problems.

3x5 overhead shot throw (17.80m, nearly a meter pb. All the throwers are envious of my big back toss now, lol). Nearly killed myself on one of them. I slipped and fell on my ass but threw the shot straight up in the air. All I could see was the shot heading straight for me and rolled out of the way just in time. I think all the adrenaline from almost dying contributed to my big overhead pb.

4x5 squats @ 355

Squats went real good. I’ve never been this strong ever.

Did about 15 low height depth jumps because I couldnt access the hurdles today.

I think the track stuff is coming along. I need a bit more focus on my block starts. Might lower the reps and drive out a little further to see how it feels.

4x40 blocks superset with 4x20m isorobic starts

4xflying 60m

Starts went really well. It was another cold day (6 celcius, or 43 F). The flying 60’s went alright. I timed the first two, 6.00s and 5.91s. Not too bad for a cold day. I found that I am still accelerating into the fly zone, so next day I’m going to work on accelerating more aggressively and hitting top speed before entering the zone.

For personal reference, my best flying 50m the year I ran my best 100m was 4.86s. So I already think I’m not too far off of that. With a bit of heat, a better accel zone I think I could be around the low 5.80’s. My goal for the end of this cycle will be to hit into the 5.70’s. Then I think I’ll be good for a decent 100m time.

15x overhead shot throws (17.6m furthest)

6x5 hurdle hops @ 33"

Couple sets of cleans. I was completely wiped. I think the additional starts and flying 60’s got to me because I couldn’t generate much bar height. I worked up to 2x245lbs and then my next set I failed an attempt at 245 and called it there.

2x230m

26.9s and 27.1s. Had to run them indoor, not the best but it was raining outside. My outdoor times for my 250, were over a second faster so I figure it would be similar for 230. Indoor pb for the 230m. Good to see some progress.

3x10 squats @ 289

These squats have been progressing very well without very much volume. Can’t complain about that.

3x10 weighted hip thrusts

3x8 bench @ 245

4x30m accels

4x100m (flying 60m) 6.24, 6.15, 11.06 (did the full 100m), and 6.28

Ran indoors today which is why the times are considerably slower. The 100m starts around a corner, 20m straight, 30m corner, 30m straight and 20m corner.The corners are much rougher than usual 200m tracks too. Zaps the times a little bit. But overall pretty good. The first one, I slowed down before the line because a girl stepped onto the track. But the last time was a legitimate drop off.

15x8kg overhead medball throws

8x5 hurdle hops 33"

2x5 squats @ 335

The squats werent feeling all that great, I had tweaked my groin on sunday and it hasnt really been an issue, but the squats were hurting it so I stopped there.

Not the greatest workout today. On friday I moved apartments and got 5 hours of sleep thurs,fri and sat. Last night I went out drinking with an old friend from high school that I hadnt seen in 2 years.

This is very counter to what my usual schedule is like. Sleep 10 hours/day, do very little during the day, work on school and rarely drink. On top of that it was cold today. With all that being said, I took it easy volume wise and didnt push it. I want tuesday and thursday to be outstanding workouts so I’m going to get 10-12 hours sleep tonight and epsom salt bath.

4x20m isorobic starts
4x30m blocks

4x100m flying 60m (6.00s,6.05s,6.00s)

Just had zero pop on the fly’s today. Could feel that there was a gear missing.

3x5 overhead back throws with the shotput

skipped plyos for today

3x1 cleans @ 245, 4x6 @ 205

Overall, the sprints werent horrible with all things considered but they should be dipping into the 5.8s on thursday if all goes well.

3x20m

2x230m (26.26, 26.8)
1x150m (16.3s)

Beautiful day, forgot how much harder it is to run SE outdoors vs indoors. These runs gased me. Personal best for me on the 150, considering these were done after the 230 i think I’ve got more in me.

squat warm up weights then
1x10 squats @ 275

Squats werent agreeing with my groin so I skipped them and did more hip thrusts instead.

6x10 weighted hip thrusts @ 185

2x8 bench press @ 245
2x8 pull ups