Muscle Vibration

What role does muscle vibration play in performance and training? Does it have any effect on efficiency, and soreness from training?

Do you mean vibration therapy?

Nah, like the actual vibration of the muscle as a result of impact and motion. I see compression clothing always listing reduced muscle vibration as a benefit…

But I never heard of vibration therapy…whats that?

There’s vibrations performed manually by massage therepists. I find the technique useless, but to each their own. It’s basically used to reduce hypertonicity in muscles. Same principle as using electronic vibrations I suppose.

There’s vibrations performed manually by massage therepists. I find the technique useless, but to each their own. It’s basically used to reduce hypertonicity in muscles. Same principle as using electric vibrators I suppose.

Its a platform that vibrates at high freq, clinical studies have shown increase in bone density and ^ muscle strength. The technique was initially used to prevent astronauts from developing severe bone mineral.

When i first saw that i was kinda sceptical. How does it work? I can’t see how vibration would do that but if you can explain it ill be happy to change my mind!

http://www.therapure.com/cgi-bin/brand/display.cgi?sitename=health-essentials&page=whole_body_vibration_body_effects.htm

thats interesting…where would I go to use one of those? :smiley:

I am still skeptical because the sample cross section was elderly women.However the technology has been used by astronauts for 30 years. Vibration therapy works by the muscle response to the vibrations. This mechanical stimulus produces a stretch reflex which, depending on the selected frequency, results in muscles vigorously contracting 25 to 50 times per second.