MoGreene WR slomotion

Also, here is a good illustration of Mo’s mechanics and overall race in his 9.79. His start, stride, arm mechanics, lift etc. are all well illustrated, I think.

http://www.atoboldon.com/audiovideo//wr99replay.wmv

Does Ato run slightly out of his lane at approx. 80 -85 meters?

Excellent example of mechanics! Notice the smoothness of the transition into the full running stride in the upright position.

I was watching the film again. Take another look and watch what happens at about 25 meters, as both Mo and Ato continue to accelerate “underneath” Frankie, who had a great start but rose to the upright position more quickly. The gap they put on him right there is quite pronounced.

Yeh i noticed this too-Ato steps on the line, and thus out of his lane!!

How many steps did mo & Ato take while In there drive phase?

DCW: Easy for the coach to fix- hard for the athlete to resist- under pressure.

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
I was watching the film again. Take another look and watch what happens at about 25 meters, as both Mo and Ato continue to accelerate “underneath” Frankie, who had a great start but rose to the upright position more quickly. The gap they put on him right there is quite pronounced.

Yes, I call this the parachute.
Pop up and stop!

Sort of like changing from 2nd to 4th.

So many people do this. I really think that it is one of the easiest things for a coach to “fix”.

Unfortunately here in Argentina it’s very difficult (and expensive) to get any athletics videos (needless to say there is nothing on TV), first time I see the WR. I had seen how staying down affects your race, but had never really payed much attention to focusing on bettering that a lot. Here you can see so clearly how the sprinters that stay down the longest accelerate past the others. I definitely took note of this now and will work on it when we do speed again. It’s funny how you hear this 1000 times from your coach and everyone but you have to see Mo and Ato walk right past Frankie simply because of virtue of this to actually get the idea of the difference staying down makes. There is a girl in our team that is very good at staying down and watching her start compared to another girl which has a similar 100m. time but stands very quickly is notable, but at that time I didn’t incorporate what I was seeing, now I will.

So when should you stand up?

In this clip and in the Sydney final I counted 16-19 steps for the drive phase. This is also true of Marion, perhaps with slightly fewer steps. I have noticed that in all of their winning races Mo & Marion have established a decisive position in the race by the end of their drive phase. i have seen this with several other top sprinters. Has anyone heard or read the stated reasons/rationale why Coach Smith or Coach Graham (although she is no longer with him) employ this technique? This is also true of Patrick’s acceleration phase. It seems highly effective. I also wonder how it effects peak velocity; where top end speed is reached and how it’s maintained. Are there splits on the forum from this race (Athens 99)?

The better the sprinter…the smoother the transition.

Malcolm,

Thanks for posting the video. I should have wrote this aweek ago when i downloaded it. Due to work n’ family my track time is at 4:00 AM. So while i’m trying to drag my ass out of bed at 3 AM to get to the track by 4, i’ll run the video you posted and the one of Ben in Zurich in 86 and they help push me out the door, rather than back into the bed.

thanks alot.

TD:clap:

Can someone explain exactly why they pulled on Frankie like that. I realize it’s because he came up quicker, but it seems that Mo usually has a longer drive phase than a lot of sprinters. Maybe it just appears that way because his head it down so long.

Kenny: Check out the “step over” technique on both Mo and Ato.
Re Frankie
I don’t thik Mo and Ato accelerated longer that Frankie could have- it was just that Frankie cut his own acceleration off by rising too soon.

Thanks Charlie. Thats what i was looking for. Wasn’t sure what coming up to soon actually did to your speed.

to aln: there is no staying down longer unless you accelerate longer. staying down is a result of how you accelerate. if you try to stay down artifically it end s to produce poor posture and bad positions. Many (coaches and athlees) inappropiately equate staying down with patience – they’re not always the same.

Originally posted by ktolbert
staying down is a result of how you accelerate. if you try to stay down artifically…

But coming up prematurely will severely hamper acceleration.

A prime example was the Paris GL last Friday. Kelli White just popped up and stopped dead, as did Christy Gaines. Sturrup just left them.

Maybe I’ll capture it this weekend. Some good footage. :slight_smile:

i agree.

i pretty certain we’re both saying the same thing. inefficient (sp?) acceleration can lead to “popping” up. I understand what people are trying to accomplish when they tell athletes to stay down, it’s just at certain time it’s not possible based on what happened in the preceding steps.

Kebba:

Is control lost in the hips and/or abdominal region? Is the process rushed due to limiting effects of the trunk or can the differences in force reduction of track surfaces affect the acceleration process?

hey charlie i am 16 years old my personal best in the 100 meters is 11.07 may drive phase last for 10 meters i rais up at this distance my best start ever was in the 100 meters heat in the national championships i was first till the 40 meters then i left my self to keep energy for the semi and final anyway i came second u can say i was relaxing about 50 meters.i have a body type like frank fredricks