Mo Green strength?

Tempo, tempo, tempo

It’s interesting how few ppl are willing to develop aerobic endurance by doing tempo. Most shorter sprinters view it purely as a recovery session (in many cases one that can be skipped) and don’t challenge or progress their workout …

Because of the High/Low split nature of the work, it’s possible to do both. Low intensity tempo can advance the aerobic capacity at the same time that it is promoting circulation through the muscles and re-regulating the nervous system in preparation for the next high intensity challenge.

Do you find that the longer tempo runs work better at developing aeroic capacity, while at the same time not hurting recovery? For example 500,300,200,200,3000 500 instead of maybe 2x10x100m.
Thanks

Depends on the type of athlete, their attitude towards the distance and their running economy. The 2x10x100m is typically the session I would undertake purely because mentally I find it agreeable to my personality. Sometimes I do 8x300m at tempo pace or the classical CF tempo sessions on the DVD. I find that 500m is excessive for me and does hurt recovery, each person is different and I think the preference should be made initially by the coach and then revised to suit the attitude of the athlete to the sessions. My aerobic capacity has improved DRAMATICALLY in the past year and mainly from sessions involving 2x10x100m. Would assume that the longer distances will lead to about the same gains.

I agree with you.

Spot on martn76. I know people will disagree with me but, I sometimes like doing 1 set of 800m(3min RI)600m(2min RI),400m for tempo when I want to get done in a short time. I feels right for me…

okay but what if someone could do easy 100s for tempo, correct pace and recovery but finds 200s harder to perform. ex 100s @13 easy but finds 200s @28 somewat tough. and doing the 100s alone would not help the bigger distances (didnt work for me, only enhanced my recoveries when doing 100s but had hardly any effect on 200s).
doesnt this mean that u should gradually build up on the distance, lets say atleast to 300m.

I agree with this in totality. However people do not maximise this.

I use a combination of all. ATM I’m doing sessions like 3x10x100m w/ 30s recovery on grass in trainers and 8x300m with 90seconds recovery (even split), recently was doing 4x600m w/ 8min I also do a long run before many sessions. Each serves its own purpose and i find them all equally beneficial.

i guess i am running the 5 k for increaseing my stamina also to exersie my back muscles and make them more powerful,also it helps me set a base to build on for the 200 ,moreover u think that my intermediate speed work and longer work is more than a 16nyrs need so can you tell me an example for what i would be doing it the tempo,for your knowlodge i hate to run mor than 6*400 and if i am doing 500 i do only 3 and tis is at the biging of the gpp

Again this is down to the individual and pre GPP conditioning work. Before we started our GPP phase we did grass runs. (starting at 10 mins and adding a further 2.5 mins every other day for 2 weeks). This helped my endurance base massively. When it came to starting track sessions I noticed that my overall endurance had improved somewhat dramatically. In week 2 we did a session that showed this improvement. The session involved 4 sets of 4x100m@13 sec and 200m@27 runs randomly thrown in for good measure (thanks coach)with 50m recovery walk in-between the runs. After the 4th run we had a 100m walk recovery then it was onto the next set. I coped extremely well with the 2’s on the back of the 100’s. In fact it made the 27 target easier cos i rolled off the speed of the 100’s and carried it through. Circuit afterwards. Believe me, after a few weeks of that my fitness levels have shot through the roof. Its not always about these long distance runs. Short runs with short recovery can do the job too!!

I ran into Mo Greene unexpectedly at the UNLV track! He was helping one of HSI’s football players get ready for the NFL combine way back in March. He told me he could squat 500 pounds! He also said that while sprinting, he exerts about 200 pounds of pressure with each step into the ground!

[QUOTE=DeMOlisher]i guess i am running the 5 k for increaseing my stamina also to exersie my back muscles and make them more powerful]QUOTE

5K running will not make your back muscles more POWERFULL, try sprinting and weightraining for that mate.

So is it safe to the say the as a sprinter the stronger you are the faster you will be? I was sqauting close to that at one point but was told but a couple of coaches to back off that it was to much and that I would be to heavy to sprint. Were they wrong? :confused:

From what I know you want to have a high strength to weight ratio, which would be ideal. Mo Greene weighs in at 175 to 180 pounds and his level of strength is very impressive but typical for elite level sprinters. So if you have to carry a bunch of unecessary bulk to squat that much, then there would be a problem.

Linf used to squat just over 700lbs to a bench at a body weight just over 190. However it’s the way he used it, not the strength itself that made him fast.

Meaning?

Thanks!

One of my friend who was coached by Larry Wide told me that Mo’s best bench press was 340 in his prime…

that is impressive at his weight 175…